PDA

View Full Version : Return of the YoYo

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mackita
Sat, Jun-20-15, 06:14
Good Morning, All! :wave: I have been reading along with you all for a while, too embarrassed to join in because I don't want to have to admit this is not my first rodeo ride with the low carb lifestyle. I have yo yo'd from 200-125 too many times to want to claim and now here I am again. I was hoping to take advantage of the support offered here and to give support where needed.

My first go 'round with LC "dieting" happened when I was a 19 year old 168 pound chubby girl wanting to look slutty like the rest of my generation. I discovered the DADR book in a mall bookstore (this was 1975, I think) and I sat my bubble butt on a stool at the Orange Julius counter and read most of that book right there. The result was a 38 pound loss over a period of a little more than a month. (I was 19 and worked as a very busy waitress over the summer) and kept that weight off for probably less than a year.

Since then every attempt I have made to lose weight by eating high fat/low carb has been successful, but keeping it off has been a failure. This time I'm determined to have life long success. Looking forward to being a happy, healthy old lady. :agree:

Thanks for listening!!

Mackita

JEY100
Sat, Jun-20-15, 06:37
Welcome back, Mackita :wave:

If you have been reading along in this Introduce Yourself sub-forum even for a few weeks, you know that many are returning members! You have lots of company, no reason to be embarased here. Coming back with the lost weight plus friends somewhat common. :)

I post a link to Dr. Eades thoughts on the "Second Time" often. Another suggestion is to right away start reading the Maintenance Forum. It helps to follow the mindset of the successful people who make LC a Lifestyle. There is a thread there from a doctor's website "Refuse to Regain" I read for inspiration.

You have found a great forum for support in your journey to Good Health,

zoran
Sat, Jun-20-15, 06:50
Find another waitressing job?

Little Me
Sat, Jun-20-15, 09:27
Ah, those were the days...38 pounds in as many days. Brings a little tear to my eye...

Today it's slow and steady wins the race, but the weight does come off the second time around.

Mackita
Mon, Jun-22-15, 03:55
Hi Janet!! Thanks for the welcome!! My response is delayed because I couldn't find my way back to my post!! I'm learning to navigate around here, but progress is kinda slow. I googled Dr. Fung and had a moment of "NO! Not for me!" but I may consider intermittent fasting in the future. It is nice to meet you and I hope to see you often!
Mackita

JEY100
Mon, Jun-22-15, 04:27
When you enter from the home page finding the forum again is not easy. I enter from this index page, http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?
Bookmark that one... The yellow square "page" means at least one new post in that sub-forum, yellow lights on "someone's home :lol: , etc.

Also keep your daily notifications on...you will get an email once a day with a link to any thread you posted in, that has a new post from anyone.

The Dr Fung thread is in Diabetes, though it has since gained in popularity for other reasons. His first book will be on Obesity.

Just Jo
Mon, Jun-22-15, 05:35
:wave: Hey Mackita! Wow your story is my story... I've been yo yoing my entire adult life...I'm surprised I haven't hung myself with all that STRING!

My highest weight was 293 lbs for a very short time... but I'm usually around 250-265 lbs... then I get the I gotta lose weight bug and I do...but I never realized that MAINTENANCE was the most important thing! I'm a very slow learner! :bash:

You have found the best LC WOE site on the planet in my opinion! If you have any questions, just ask and someone will give you the answers or point you in the right direction!

Wishing you much success on your personal journey to better health! :cheer:

locarbles
Tue, Jun-23-15, 19:52
Hi, Mackita! Just want to send you best wishes as you begin..again. Fall seven stand eight...as the saying goes. I'm right there with ya. Still I rise... I can do this...cravings and carb-crazies and all. Although this feels big right now. Big is why I'm here tho I suppose..I can handle big things. Ok, chin up buttercup (I hope a buttercup is lo carb) locarbles

KDH
Wed, Jun-24-15, 13:47
My first go 'round with LC "dieting" happened when I was a 19 year old 168 pound chubby girl wanting to look slutty like the rest of my generation.

:lol: :lol: I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read this. :lol: :lol:

I'll admit it, I love not being the only one who has had less than pure motivation in my life. "I just wanted to get healthy" is true a lot, but YES, I wanted to look hot too dammit!
:agree:

Since then every attempt I have made to lose weight by eating high fat/low carb has been successful, but keeping it off has been a failure. This time I'm determined to have life long success. Looking forward to being a happy, healthy old lady. :agree:

Thanks for listening!!

Mackita

Well, was keeping it off while continuing to eat LCHF unsuccessful, or was keeping it off unsuccessful because you strayed from LCHF? I'll admit, two things that have derailed me the most in my journey are 1) getting older and 2) losing weight. #1 because the older you get, the just plain harder it is. What worked at 19 will not melt away fat with the same magic at 40. It sucks and is frustrating, but there's no getting around that. #2 because DAMN it is FANTASTIC to reach goal, be "normal", wear cute (or slutty! :lol: ) clothes, be "normal" yay!! Except I'm not normal, I have severe metabolic issues and if I eat the way that got me fat in the first place, even "just a little because I deserve it!" it will eventually snowball into an avalanche of obesity.

Mackita
Thu, Jun-25-15, 04:47
When you enter from the home page finding the forum again is not easy. I enter from this index page, http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?
Bookmark that one... The yellow square "page" means at least one new post in that sub-forum, yellow lights on "someone's home :lol: , etc.

Also keep your daily notifications on...you will get an email once a day with a link to any thread you posted in, that has a new post from anyone.

The Dr Fung thread is in Diabetes, though it has since gained in popularity for other reasons. His first book will be on Obesity.

Thanks for the navigation tip!! The only reason I found my way back here was through a link in my email! I better bookmark every page I want to return to!! I tend to get lost easily. Once, my sister and I got lost in a parking lot and couldn't get back the road we wanted to be on!! :o

Mackita
Thu, Jun-25-15, 05:33
I'll admit it, I love not being the only one who has had less than pure motivation in my life. "I just wanted to get healthy" is true a lot, but YES, I wanted to look hot too dammit!

That was a definite motivation when I was younger. Now I just plain want to look sort of human and be as healthy as possible. I've already accepted that I am not still the hot young babe who could light up an old man's life just by smiling at him. The last time I tried that, the old guy gave me the finger!

Well, was keeping it off while continuing to eat LCHF unsuccessful, or was keeping it off unsuccessful because you strayed from LCHF? I'll admit, two things that have derailed me the most in my journey are 1) getting older and 2) losing weight. #1 because the older you get, the just plain harder it is. What worked at 19 will not melt away fat with the same magic at 40. It sucks and is frustrating, but there's no getting around that. #2 because DAMN it is FANTASTIC to reach goal, be "normal", wear cute (or slutty! :lol: ) clothes, be "normal" yay!! Except I'm not normal, I have severe metabolic issues and if I eat the way that got me fat in the first place, even "just a little because I deserve it!" it will eventually snowball into an avalanche of obesity.[/QUOTE]

You are right. There is no magic for weight loss after 19!! Now it's all hard work and fighting off your food demons! My problem is believing that I can eat any amount of carbs after reaching goal. I cannot eat carbs AT ALL in any form that involves sugar or wheat. My addiction to those things do not allow me just a little. One Frito will send me into a maniac carb binge for years! And don't even say the words Kr*spy Kr*m* in front of me. I will eat your mother to get to the donut counter!!

So, right...we are not normal but we are all in the same boat here and if you jump over the side, I will swim out and - tell you what a moronic thing that was!!
Mackita

OtherCher2
Thu, Jun-25-15, 11:05
:lol: Well, this is fun! I thought I was the only one that had the underlying motive to look HOT! :lol: Sure, I would love to be healthy, have no joint pain and live to be very, very old, but what's the point if you don't look hot?

KDH
Thu, Jun-25-15, 13:10
Thanks for the navigation tip!! The only reason I found my way back here was through a link in my email! I better bookmark every page I want to return to!! I tend to get lost easily. Once, my sister and I got lost in a parking lot and couldn't get back the road we wanted to be on!! :o

I actually have it bookmarked to my control panel page. So the first thing I see is anything I'm already subscribed to.

bkloots
Thu, Jun-25-15, 13:15
YES, I wanted to look hot too dammit! The motivation that never gets old. :lol: For me, looking hotter than all the other dames of almost-70 will do just fine. Of course, "hot" is an attitude as much as an appearance. There are plenty of skinny gals at 70 who look like prunes.

Stay healthy!

Mackita
Fri, Jun-26-15, 03:39
I actually have it bookmarked to my control panel page. So the first thing I see is anything I'm already subscribed to.

I just figured out what USER CP means!! I'm on a (low carb) roll!!!
M

Mackita
Fri, Jun-26-15, 03:41
:lol: Well, this is fun! I thought I was the only one that had the underlying motive to look HOT! :lol: Sure, I would love to be healthy, have no joint pain and live to be very, very old, but what's the point if you don't look hot?

I want to be the kind of old woman who out runs all the snot nosed brats in the neighborhood!!

M.

Little Me
Fri, Jun-26-15, 08:54

What she said!

KDH
Fri, Jun-26-15, 12:46
The motivation that never gets old. :lol: For me, looking hotter than all the other dames of almost-70 will do just fine. Of course, "hot" is an attitude as much as an appearance. There are plenty of skinny gals at 70 who look like prunes.

Stay healthy!

Well yes. But should I make it that far, I fully intend to rock an insanely eccentric wardrobe as a reward to myself. So having bumps and bulges detracting from whatever combination of floral, lame tissue, fur trim, feathers and sequins I may crave would not DO. (and that would just be my hat! :lol: )

OtherCher2
Fri, Jun-26-15, 13:57
You mean I'm not too old for leather pants??:lol:

Mackita
Sat, Jun-27-15, 13:44
You mean I'm not too old for leather pants??:lol:

Hell, no!! If he we can eat the cow, we may as well wear it's pants, too!! :yum: :D

Macki

Mackita
Sat, Jun-27-15, 13:47
Well yes. But should I make it that far, I fully intend to rock an insanely eccentric wardrobe as a reward to myself. So having bumps and bulges detracting from whatever combination of floral, lame tissue, fur trim, feathers and sequins I may crave would not DO. (and that would just be my hat! :lol: )

I am looking forward to this, also. I may not wait until 70. My mom loved bright, loud colors but thought she was too old for them. When she came to live with me for her last 5 years, I made sure she was a rainbow! She loved it! So will I!

I hope you find a nice outfit to match your hat! :D

Macki

KDH
Sun, Jun-28-15, 09:30
I am looking forward to this, also. I may not wait until 70. My mom loved bright, loud colors but thought she was too old for them. When she came to live with me for her last 5 years, I made sure she was a rainbow! She loved it! So will I!

I hope you find a nice outfit to match your hat! :D

Macki

I have to admit to being a bit more flamboyant than normal even now as I ease into my 40s. I see it as a natural progression. I almost exclusively shop at thrift stores, estate sales, etc. (except for shoes!) and hit a gold mine recently. The perfect storm of estate sale where the former occupant was my size, had taste similar to mine (I saw a few things in the closet I already owned!) and the woman running the sale gave me a hefty bag to fill for $10. I have to admit, I never would have bought a white linen pantsuit, yet always wanted one. All the more reason (back to the topic on hand) to keep flab-free! And healthy and stuff of course.
:agree:

bkloots
Sun, Jun-28-15, 11:59
KDH--'bout time you posted some pix in a Gallery, Girlfriend! We need fashion inspiration! :thup:

KDH
Mon, Jun-29-15, 12:27
KDH--'bout time you posted some pix in a Gallery, Girlfriend! We need fashion inspiration! :thup:

AHAHAHAHAA!! I don't even look at the gallery, because I could never figure out how to look at what I wanted. It seems to skip me around all over the place no matter how I tried to look through it. Took years to figure out how to put a profile picture up, wouldn't even try to post to what I can't even seem to open properly. I'm not particularly techtarded either, just one of those things that stumps me.