PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pcmcvey
Mon, Jun-15-15, 19:58
I am new to this forum but not new to low carb. I love the low carb lifestyle but struggle at times mostly because I am weak but also because I am the only person in my family doing low carb. I am hoping to get some support here for those times when I want to "cheat". Looking forward to talking with you all as we all continue on our journey. My current weight loss is at 15 pounds with 85 to go.

bevangel
Mon, Jun-15-15, 20:30
Welcome! 15 pounds is an impressive start on your journey to a healthy weight. You're already almost 1/5th of the way there.

Please don't beat yourself up as being "weak". We were all taught certain eating habits which, for most of us, included a whole bunch of carby foods at every meal as well as carb-laden snacks and treats. And most of us grew up being taught that "healthy whole grains" and carb laden fruits and vegetables should comprise the major part of our diets. Fats were demonized. We were TAUGHT to want carbs and to enjoy their taste. Practically every processed food out there has sugar, in one form or another, added to it. And manufacturers spend billions of dollars on campaigns to make us WANT that stuff. Unfortunately, for many of us, our bodies react to a heavy carb diet by getting fat, by getting sick and, oftentimes, by becoming "addicted" to all those carbs...especially sugar.

And, when you try to go low carb without familial support, you're not only bucking all the "knowledge" that has been ingrained in you about food, you're also bucking social pressure to continue to eat the way everybody around you eats. Even most of our doctors still beat the drum that "fat is bad" but, when you don't eat fats, you HAVE to eat a larger number of carbs or you starve. IT IS HARD to fight against all those pressures. You're not weak because you sometimes succumb. You're strong in that you have been able to withstand the pressure well enough to lose 15 pounds,

The longer you stick with this WOE (way of eating) the stronger you WILL get at withstanding the pressures to go back to eating carby junk. You'll find lots of supportive friendly people here who have experienced first hand many of the issues you face. They'll be happy to offer suggestions when you run into difficulties. So WELCOME and happy low-carbing!

SilverEm
Tue, Jun-16-15, 01:16
Hi, pcmcvey. :) Welcome! I wish you success and good health.

JEY100
Tue, Jun-16-15, 02:55
Welcome, :wave:
You have found a great forum for LC information and the support you are lacking. Read back through threads on the various sub-forums and in journals and you will find many folks in the same situation, with their tips to overcome the carby home environment. I think it more common than not to be the only LCer in the house.

If you are looking to recommit to DANDR, which you indicate is the book you are following, maybe consider doing induction again to help quell the cravings for off plan foods. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 There is a tips sub forum and in it an author of New Atkins listed these ten: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202. You are not stalled, but his first tip is to not allow the carbs to creep up and restart induction if needed.
All the best,