PDA

View Full Version : Hi, found this forum looking for LC/Atkins buddies!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hummingbee
Fri, Jun-12-15, 13:41
Hi there, I'm Alice or just call me by the username hummingbee. I'm 25, 5'3" and an illustrator for fantasy/sci-fI and tabletop game books. I also teach art at a senior living facility and a visual arts center for children.

I love to draw and paint, play my ukulele, bellydance, and write.

I was 160+ pounds and unhappily sluggish a couple years ago and following the Atkins lifestyle shaved that down to 140, which meandered back to 150 over careless time, and now is back to about 140 again -- until this week when I recommitted to an Atkinsy lifestyle once more. Now I am about 135lbs.

I am struggling a bit with the slowly-subsiding sugar and carb cravings. Pasta and bread and potatoes? Don't miss them. Cake and sugary lattes? I MISS. I have cut sweetener out off my daily coffee entirely and hope that will make a difference in my mood.

I have to say the best benefit of a low carb lifestyle for me is the improvement in my mood once my body stabilizes. My energy doesn't flip flop. I am a hugely high energy human being, like a hummingbird rushing around... But a carb-filled diet made me crash and burn from the energy highs almost four or five times daily!

Coworkers remarked on this. Eep. Currently experiencing feelings of grief (!!) over the loss of frequent sugar and flour/cake items, but in the past those feelings have passed as I become accustomed to the change. Anyone else have those feelings as well?

Anyways, I hope I can be a supportive LC/Atkins pal to everyone here and look forward to sharing successes, for me primarily in the mood/energy department rather than lost weight as a goal.

bkloots
Fri, Jun-12-15, 14:08
Anyone else have those feelings as well? Well, around here, you might say everyone at one time or another. Welcome aboard!

The aim is a lifetime of comfortable maintenance. Sounds like you're on your way.

Best wishes.

hummingbee
Fri, Jun-12-15, 20:17
Hi Barbara, well said. I want to do this for life. Thanks for the welcome!

JEY100
Sat, Jun-13-15, 02:49
Welcome humming bee, :wave:
You have found a good forum for support with your "withdrawal" from sugar. There have been many new books about the addictive qualities of sugar (and the carbs that quickly turn into sugar once digested). You may want to read some of those websites for tips, e.g Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar, Dianne San Fillippo the 21 Day Sugar Detox, even Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution since those wild highs and lows indicate that there is some disregulation with your blood sugar. Also http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/how-to-stop-sugar-cravings.html

All the best,

SilverEm
Sat, Jun-13-15, 08:07
Hello, Alice. :) Welcome! That link which Janet posted to Ketogenic Diet Resource is a good one.

The memories of eating the old ways come and go. After a while, they don't have any "hooks", I find. They are just thoughts that come and go.

I wish you much joy living a low carb life! :)