PDA

View Full Version : Ready for a lifestyle change...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

whit315
Wed, Jun-10-15, 21:50
Hello! I have been overweight my entire life. With just recently being diagnosed with sleep apnea and prediabetes at the age of 27, I decided I've had enough. I tried Atkins back when I was like 12 (yes, I even needed to lose a lot of weight at age 12), but of course, I never stuck with anything. Atkins seemed to be the only "diet" that worked for me. As I've become more and more interested in Atkins, I've done a lot of research on the low-carb diet. I'm currently in medical school, and will become a physician in less than a year (holy smokes!), so research and science to back up my new lifestyle were important for me. Needless to say, there are many competing theories out there, but low carb/high fat just made complete sense to me on a chemical and physiological level. During medical school, I have put on 75 pounds in three years, which is ridiculous. When I noticed I got increasingly winded from just walking around the hospital, it was another slap in the face to do something. What patient wants a "fat" doctor advising them to lose weight? I sure don't. Therefore, I won't be one of those docs.

Anyway, I've joined this forum to keep myself accountable and hopefully gain some new low carb friends along the way. I forgot how "easy" this lifestyle is. After only 8 days I no longer have sugar cravings, and I am never hungry! I cheated once already on day 4, because I was on a long car ride and was starving...no more of that business though!

Good luck to everyone, and God bless! May He raise us up, and help us accomplish our goals to better our lives.

~Whitney

JEY100
Thu, Jun-11-15, 02:40
Welcome, Whitney :wave:

You have found a great LC forum to give you information about all the health benefits of Low Carb, and also for support and accountability. I was drawn here five years ago by Media & Research sub-forum, and that is all I read for a year. Then later added the social interaction (you can do that with challenges or a journal) and that has helped me maintain the weight loss.

I am also blessed by my current location to have Dr Eric Westman at Duke as a doctor. He started the first rotation program for med students to learn non-surgical weight loss through LC, and now Dr Sarah Hallberg at Indiana U Lafayette has the second program. Have you seen her fabulous new TEDTalk?
http://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ (125K views in a month! :thup: 18 minutes to explain IR and how to fix it!)

If you could attend one of the ASBP conferences and take his LC course (think it is on-line for credits as well?) you would not only have the way to help yourself to great health, but also your future patients. Dr Westman is currently president, and an author of NANY, or New Atkins 2010. http://www.asbp.org
Another resource you might enjoy is another Medical Student's data collection on a LC or Ancestral Lifestyle. Science and Testimonials on the same website. http://www.awlr.org

I could go on about all the doctors supporting LC for their patients and themselves (Dr Wortman, Noakes, Gerber, etc.) but enough for now. Hope to see you around here when you have some of your limited "free" time, do check out recent threads in the diabetes forum and Dr Fung's plan too.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

If you have an hour, here is Dr. Fung's latest lecture (think it was part of grand rounds to members of the hospital staff) on The Two Big Lies about Diabetes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLoaVNQ3rc

All the best,

bkloots
Thu, Jun-11-15, 07:52
Hi, Whitney. Congrats on your blossoming medical career. I can't imagine anything more stressful than med school--a time perhaps not conducive to conscious eating. But now, as you've discerned, being a conscientious doc means paying more attention to your personal health.

Janet (you've noticed) is an amazing resource. And many others on this site are generous with stories, links, encouragement of all kinds.

The "hard part" is getting started. You're on your way, and feeling better immediately is only the beginning.

Best wishes.

whit315
Thu, Jun-11-15, 18:59
Janet, I just watched the TedTalk with Dr. Hallberg! It was very inspirational and spot on. The science of LC seems pretty fool proof to me. I wish more of the medical community would grow to accept it, instead of the "low fat" that has been pounded into our heads for decades. Also, another TedTalk came on right after hers about how LC is "bad" for you, and how carbs, carbs and more carbs is what everyone needs. The speaker even had the audacity to say he lowered some of his patient's glucose levels. However, he didn't say whether they were still on their diabetes meds, or not. I laughed all the way through it; it made no sense. Anyway, thank you for the other resources, I will surely look into them as time allows! Thanks so much for the support.

Barb - I lived in Prairie Village, KS (near 75th and State Line) for three years during Grad School and part of med school! I loved it. I was sad to move away. KC is such a wonderful city. Thanks so much for the support, as well!

~Whitney

Smcca4
Thu, Jun-11-15, 19:24
Welcome, Whitney!

I went back to school for an MS a few years ago, and also added 25 lbs per year. You are not alone!

One of the best things for me about LC is that in the 2.5 months I've been on plan, I've found it very easy to work into a tough schedule. Eating out, 16-hour work days on the road, and a professional conference have all proved to be completely workable for me.

I hope you find the same!

Kinura
Thu, Jun-11-15, 21:13
Welcome, Whitney. You're going to be a wonderful doctor. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the coming days/weeks/months.

SilverEm
Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:54
Hi, Whitney. :) Welcome! I wish you very happy, healthy Low Carbing. :)