PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dizzy
Mon, Feb-05-01, 15:20
Hello! Well, I've decided to give the low-carb diet a try. In general I eat fairly healthy (according to RDA) and continue to gain weight, even with mild to moderate exercise. I have two sibling who have lost (and maintained the loss) a considerable amount of weight using low-carb diets. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best plan to follow? I know I'm addicted to carbs since I have managed with minimal protein (vegetarian) for quite a while now and have existed on pure carbs and fiber without significant weight loss. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Wish me luck! Thanks!

debbiedobson
Mon, Feb-05-01, 17:19
hi dizzy. are you the same dizzy from locarb living? this is a terrific board. the people here are very supportive and informative. you've sure come to the right place!
why don't you pick up a copy of dr.atkins new diet revolution. that's the one that started the whole lowcarb thing for me. i got into ketosis really quickly and my carb cravings just disappeared. i was a total carb addict too. i still am. if i ever slip and have something high carb, it starts a binge mechanism in me. i just have to try and stay away completely. atkins induction is a really powerful tool for losing weight.

Eliza
Mon, Feb-05-01, 18:50
Welcome to the list. I'm not up on all the low carb diets there are so I'm not much help in giving direction. I'm following Dr.Atkins and it works wonders for me. I'm only in my first week of induction but am showing great results and know that last time I was following this WOL I felt fantastic. Not only was I dropping the lbs but my arthritis pain completely disappeared. Good luck to you and look forward to chatting.
Eliza

dizzy
Mon, Feb-05-01, 19:06
Debbie and Eliza, thanks for the info and support, I may need it. I plan to pick up a copy of the Atkins book tomorrow. I think I consumed less than 20 carbs today.

What about peanut butter? It says 5 grams of carbs, but the second ingredient is sugar.

Thanks!

doreen T
Mon, Feb-05-01, 19:14
Glad you found us! Debbie is right, you would do best to pick up some books on the different lowcarb plans to inform yourself. Your local library will likely have most of the popular books, so you can preview them before you buy your own copy ..;)

Check out our Tips column for Frequently Asked Questions, Lowcarbing Basics and lots more great ideas to get you started (lots there for the "old hands" as well). Either click on "Tips" on the red menu bar at the top of this page, or click here to open a new window http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html

I look forward to reading more posts of your lowcarbing success! Take care,

Doreen