PDA

View Full Version : New To The Forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

colleenlee
Wed, May-27-15, 19:35
Hi. I have been working a low carb diet since March 2014 and in the past 4 months have slipped into old behaviors. I have been eating carbs here and there and just feel drawn to them right now. I had found healthy alternatives that worked for me for a while. But I think I may be tired of the food plan I have been following.

I came from a very dysfunctional background regarding food -- binge eating throughout my whole childhood family. For me -- food is a whole lot more than just food.

I am desperate to get back to the plan I was following so I can lose significant weight. I am still 120 lbs over weight even after a year on the no carb -- no sugar plan.

Are there any ideas as to how I can get past my desire for certain foods?

Thanks!
Colleen L.

omablue
Wed, May-27-15, 19:45
Welcome to the forum, Colleen. You have come to the right place. I am not sure I can give you the best advice on how to get back on track. All I can suggest is getting all of the carbage food out of your house. Then stock up on carb free food and enjoy all the good things you can eat. Get on Atkins induction from the 1972 book. In about a week, you should be on track.

Check out the Triple digits club on this forum for lots of advice for people who want to lose more than 99 pounds.

Stay on plan and keep coming back here for support.

JEY100
Thu, May-28-15, 04:38
Welcome Colleen,

Agree with OmaBlue's advice and would add that Sugar Addiction is a real biochemical response and one that many struggle with. There are quite a number of new books about helping to quit sugar.
We also have an Emotional issues forum and some of those threads may help: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121
But in the end, the only solution is to Not eat sugar..and I would add Grains. Some other tips: http://authoritynutrition.com/3-step-plan-to-stop-sugar-cravings/
All the best,

colleenlee
Fri, May-29-15, 06:03
I am so grateful for the response to my first post from OmaBlue and Jey100. I now see that I probably have an intolerance for carbs in my body and do better without them. I am truly addicted to certain foods and find that I simply want to eat more and more once I have a little taste. The suggestion of the emotional aspect of eating is good. I will look up that forum as well and see where it takes me.

Thanks Omablue and Jey100 for your help!

Hugs!
Colleen

JEY100
Sat, May-30-15, 03:10
You are welcome.
I had to search for your plan, and found a few old references to it. It is somewhat low carb, but including a fruit and oatmeal (the worst for me!) for breakfast. That amount of carbs in the morning would set off sugar cravings for the whole day, and guaranteed I would be hungry 2 hours later.

To help you get back on track, I suggest you consider restarting with a very low carb plan. Some people slowly reduce the amount of sugar and carbs, but if you have been following that diet plan already, try going cold turkey. Limit total carbs to 20g, which leaves room for salad and veggies. No grains, no fruits, no sugar, potatoes or rice (didn't OA also have a No Whites guideline?). If you can handle it, restrict artificial sweeteners as well to control those sugar cravings.

The Atkins Induction plan as an example: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482.

Smcca4
Sat, May-30-15, 05:20
Welcome, colleenlee! I'm a former greysheeter (original 70's version) myself.

For me, eliminating problem foods and limiting carbs has really killed cravings. Having 100g of tomato produces different results than having "one tomato" after hunting for the most freakishly large produce I can hunt down!

I hope you give Atkins Induction a go and knock those cravings down! :D