PDA

View Full Version : Young at heart but fat at to start LOL.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cacsp56
Mon, May-25-15, 11:57
Hi there,
Found this forum because of my interest in the relationship of caffeine and weight loss . In about a month, I have changed my eating habits to less carbs, more meals , more water , green tea , interval training and have gotten barely one pound down in a goal of ten to start with .
I have started my sixtieth year of life , have been a caregiver of special needs sibling for three years now that has stressed me out royally so I am at the top of my weight ever UGG ! Usually the changes noted above produce 1 pound a week , but something is not working and I am not sure ..
I have a journal , but perhaps I have to write every blessed thing to keep self awareness very accurate .
But yes I think that i have to quit caffeine . They checked my cortisol last summer and I was fine . I am taking cholesterol pills but in a month it went down in addition to the fact i rarely eat meat .
I have been reading a Perricone book recently . Does anybody believe in his theories of well being ???

JEY100
Mon, May-25-15, 12:14
:wave: Welcome!

Dr. Perricone is a dermatologist, who ran a skin-care empire that happened to be based in my home town. Of course, many foods we give up on low carb, namely sugar and grains, definitely improve skin. Glanced at his website and he seems to have expanded into diet and health. Nothing wrong with eating healthy real foods, but I don't believe certain superfoods or supplements impact health as much as a good diet free of processed foods.

Statin drugs can increase metabolic resistance, may contribute to blood sugar disregulation and diabetes, so that may be preventing weight loss.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311.

Look around this forum and learn more about low carb diets, they may help you with weight loss and moods from stress as well.

All the best,

EDIT: like Barb, I won't ever give up coffee, and thought to add some of the counter arguments why coffee is good for you. This Paleo blogger is always defending coffee, one of his many articles about it: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-coffee-makes-you-live-longer/
While on his site, check out his how to eat healthy page too, the basic guideline to a real food, lower carb diet.

bkloots
Mon, May-25-15, 13:04
As a certified caffeine-aholic, I can't possibly address the connection between weight loss (or not) and caffeine, because I'm not giving it up. And I'm drinking it with heavy cream.

However, here's my story. I'm almost 69 y/o. Have been a returnee to my previous LC commitment since last June. I do heavy resistance training 3x/wk, plus walking on alternate days. I eat about 20-30 carbs/day. On this regimen, I've lost 20 lbs. in 11 months. Yes, that's less than 2lb per month. But guess what? It's all good.

Best wishes with your investigation of LC and other healthy habits. Try not to worry about how fast but how sustainable it is.