PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss and lipid panel

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

EMLHIKES
Sun, May-24-15, 08:38
Hello! I started Atkins aLmost two weeks ago and lost 12 lbs. I know this is a lot. I haven't eaten any grains, but have been consuming cream cheese, dip, and dressings with veggies. I have been eating 25-30 carbs a day so I doubt I'm in ketosis - right? I've expierenced the (dramatic) increase in urination, fatigue, cravings, etc and right now I feel great and all my stomach issues have disappeared. My question is, if I'm not in ketosis will I reap the benefits of a lower lipid panel? Also, I lost the 12 lbs in the first 7 days and nothing the last 5, is that normal? Thank you for your help, this forum is great!

Liz53
Sun, May-24-15, 09:08
Most people are in ketosis eating somewhere between 20 and 50 grams of total carbs per day (per Dr Stephen Phinney). If you are losing weight and your hunger is diminished you are probably there.

You don't have to be in ketosis to reap rewards of better lipid panels. I was able to lower my lipids dramatically eating the South Beach Diet. While I didn't count carbs - or anything - I estimate I was eating somewhere between 50 and 75 grams of carbs per day.

Very normal to lose a bunch at first, then plateau. You've lost a lot of water, your body is now rebalancing. Chances are you are continuing to lose fat while restoring some water. It's all good.

Congratulations on your wonderful start!

EMLHIKES
Sun, May-24-15, 13:19
Oh thank you so much!! That's great to here!

bkloots
Sun, May-24-15, 15:56
I'm not a lipid expert, but don't expect the lipid benefits to show up immediately. In fact, some people show an adverse effect in the first 3-6 months of LC. Don't panic. Improved lipid profile is practically a guarantee when your body finally settles in to its fat-burning happiness.

Best wishes.