PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Website Article Wrong

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nsmith4366
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:50
Sheila Buff is a health writer and the coauthor of Dr. Atkins' Age-Defying Diet (St. Martin's, 2000) and she has somthing to learn about yogurt and carbs!

She write the following: (go to www.atkinscenter.com to read whole article).

The Case Against Milk
By Sheila Buff

..."Yogurt is just as problematic. Eight ounces of plain, whole-milk yogurt contain almost 11 grams of carbohydrate..."

Wow...this angered me - SHE FORGOT TO SUBTRACT THE CARBS DUE TO GOOD BACTERIA, and say that yogurt is a wonderful healthy food for all atkinsers to consume (in moderation of course)/has lots of calcium and should not be avoided.

I have written their website to inform them about incubation and lactose eating bacteria and how wrong they are. MY own homemade yogurt is made and incubated SO long - it's full fat/made from goat milk/I assume almost NO carbs left in final product. It's so sour, even lemons seem sweet in comparison! And the organic goatmilk yogurt I buy only has 10 carbs per serving/minus 6-8 carb loss of sugar carbs due to incubation you have approx 3-4 carbs per cup!

---

Corrie
Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:12
YOU TELL THEM!!!!

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OUR GUIDES FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES - SHE NEEDS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL!

Karla
Thu, Jun-06-02, 09:47
Gee, NSmith, I just looked at every source I have tht shows carb counts (Corinne Netzer's book, Fitday.com, Lifeform, Protein Power, and DANDR) and the carbs for plain whole milk yogurt varied from 11 to 21 per cup, with no dietary fiber at all.

I know that the bacteria in yogurt are beneficial, but they apparently do not contain fiber.

But I am not a yogurt expert; where did you read about the incubation reducing the sugar carbs?

Karla

cristian
Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:48
Nsmith, how do you make homemade yogurt. I love yogurt and so does my 2 year old (he can eat 2 cups in one sitting). I agree with you. Yogurt has many benefits and the enzymes are a wonderful digestive cleanser. And if you compare other low carb diets, some allow yogurt after the initial taste. :read2:

nsmith4366
Fri, Jun-07-02, 06:56
THE SOURCE
http://www.accentdesign.com/lowcarb/yogurt.html

A recipe/NOT MINE - MINE IS BELOW - easier

1: Bring one quart (or liter)milk to the simmer stage and remove from heat. Stir often to prevent scorching and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
2: Cover and cool until it has reached room temperatire or below(may be placed in refrigerator to hasten cooling). It is very important thatyou allow the temperature to drop sufficiently or you will kill the bacterial culture you are now ready to introduce.
3:Remove about one-half cup cooled milk and make a paste with one quarter cup of a good quality commecial yoghurt. The commercial yoghurt you use should be unflavored and unsweetened. Buy one that contains only milk and or milk solids and bacterial culture.
4: Mix the paste with the ramainder of the cooled milk and stir thoroughly.
5: Pour milk into any appropriate sized conainer, cover, and let stand FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS at 100-110 F (38-43 C). If you forget to remove it after 24 hours, and the fermentation goes on longer all the better. Under no circumstances should the fermentation time be decreased to less than 24 hours. The source of heat used during the 24-hour fermentation is critical. It is very important to get the temperature correct at 100-110 F. before you proceed with the fermentation. Too high a temperature will kill the bacterial culture and will prevent the proper "digestion" of the lactose. Too low a temp. will prevent activation of bacterial enzymes and will result in incomplete digestion of the lactose. What I do is use a 60-watt lightbulb in my oven and prop the door open with a pencil to achieve the correct temp. Check with thermometer to make sure you have the right temp. This youghurt will not be as thick as commercial yoghurt,it will be a true youghurt since virtually all of the lactose has been digested by the bacterial culture and further lactose digestion will mot be required by intestinal cells.
-------------------------------------------------------------
MY SIMPLE RECIPE

Pour 1 quart goatmilk or any whole milk into a pot on range - add 1/2 cup nonfat milk powder and stir.
Bring to a simmer/boil (180 degrees or higher) or just boil it. Stir while heating.
Remove from heat/cool to room temperature or below (I put it in the fridge or even freezer for a quicker cooldown/right in the same pot.
When cool, mix in a sterilized/really CLEAN pyrex or glass bowl big enough to hold all the milk mix only 1/4 cup FRESH WHOLE PLAIN commercial yogurt and 1 cup of your cooled milk.
When blended, stir in the rest of the cooled milk.
I cover with a glass lid and put this in my food dehydrator for over 24 hours at 115 degrees.

DO NOT STIR, TASTE OR DISTURB WHILE INCUBATING!

Perfect yogurt. Very sour - no carbs/or very very little. For runnier yogurt use less milk powder or omit it entirely for a cream consistency. For a much cheesier consistency increase milk powder up to 1 cup.
-------------------------
After you make this yogurt, you can line a strainer with cheesecloth or coffee filters, and place over a pot. Pour the yogurt onto the cloth or filters and let drain into pot over night or more. Ta Da - you just made very low carb yogurt CHEESE!

Flavor these recipes with ANYTHING you like! Add splenda and its a wonderful dessert or "sweet" cream cheese!

Enjoy.

Corrie
Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:32
Oh - that sounds so good!

rgarlough
Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:57
I've make homemade yogurt using my crockpot. I'll try and find my recipe and post it.

Annie G.

rgarlough
Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:26
1 cup yogurt (for starter) - I use Stoneyfield's Organic yogurt for the first batch anyway; you can save a cup from the next batch

1 gallon milk
Candy thermometer
2 large bath towels
Large kettle
Crock pot

Turn crock pot onto low. Heat milk in Kettle to just boil (scald) (170 to 180 degrees), then cool milk to 120 degrees. Some people speed this process up, by setting the pot in a sink on some ice cubes. Add yogurt and stir well. Put mixture in crock, put on lid and turn pot off. Wrap crock pot in towels and let sit for 10 hours. Store finished yogurt in fridge.

Note: Some crock pots won't hold a gallon of milk, so you can measure out 10 cups of milk and 3/4 cups of yogurt.

I usually let the yogurt rest for a while in the fridge for a couple days before I eat it or feed it. I make yogurt for my dogs too so I find this recipe to be very economical. The main investment is the Stoneyfield's for the starter culture. I've had the yogurt in the fridge for up to a month and it's still edible. I actually prefer it when it's that old, a month. That way I know all the carbs (or most anyway) have been eaten by the bacteria.

Annie G.

Vonnovich
Fri, Jun-07-02, 15:03
Hi Everyone

I am confused about this issue. Does store bought yogurt has 11 grams of carb before it was fermented and packaged? How do you know that the carbs are not added after the fermentation as fillers to make the product more palatable?

I have been LCing for 5 months and have not eaten any yogurt due to Carb phobia. I'd love to add yogurt back into my diet but have been unable to find any full fat versions. Most are 2% fat and I assumed the carbs came from fillers.

Please sort out my confusion for me. :confused:

nsmith4366
Fri, Jun-07-02, 16:34
Hi. I understand your concern, however the carbs in regular commercial yogurt come from 2 sources. Added sugar or fruit (it should say what is added in the ingredient list and not all yogurts add sugar) and from the natural MILK SUGAR called Lactose.

1. Avoid all sweetened or fruited yogurt. Only use plain yogurt
and fullfat has the least carbs (milk sugars).

2. Buy yogurt that SAYs it has ACTIVE yogurt cultures only...
if you do, subtract 8 gms of carbs per cup/serving and that
is your total carb intake.

3. Don't buy sugarfree yogurt that tastes sweet/they add
artificial sweeteners and sometimes say no "ADDED" sugar,
meaning that they do not count the fruit they put in as sugar!

How to calculate your carbs? Just minus 8!

For example.
Plain fullfat yogurt - 14 carbs (for example)
Minus 8 for the lactose eating GOOD bacteria in it (the bacteria actually FEEDS AND THRIVES on the milk sugars (carbs) in the yogurt, leaving less actual carbs in the final product than on the label.
= only 6 carbs per cup.

Does that seem like alot to you? It did to me too! That's why I only buy FULL FAT (lowest carb) plain Dannon OR Stonefields Organic fullfat plain from Meijers Grocery Store.

I can also get a great fullfat plain GOAT yogurt - Believe it or not, this yogurt has only 10 carbs per cup. Minus 8 carbs = only 2 carbs per CUP. Gotta love that!

OR I make my own, using no hormone fullfat goatmilk (honestly you'll be surprised how available this is) and I incubate it for almost 2 days - TART - the way I like it and practically 0 carbs. I'm making some right NOW!

But if all you can get is Dannon, that's okay - just go for the fullfat plain - subtract your 8 or so carbs per cup and enjoy. Add sweetener/splenda or whatever nonsugar flavor thingy you want.
Try adding Atkins syrups if you like those...or cheese (a small amount) or gosh, even a dab of peanut butter - be creative...

Enjoy.
N

In_Control
Fri, Jun-07-02, 18:20
Where do you find the full fat plain goat yogurt? Is it usually at a health store? I'd love to find that. How does it taste?

nsmith4366
Fri, Jun-07-02, 18:53
It is called REDWOOD HILL FARM

Here's the link http://www.redwoodhill.com/yogurt.htm

print out and bring to your grocery / request this brand!

or

Go to an Organic Food Co-Op, Healthfood store or Natural Foods Market. :) Wonderful stuff!

Luna
Fri, Jun-07-02, 18:59
This is Atkins' official position on yogurt. I've read it before and it is in this month's magazine. Whatever. It has worked fine for me. I get regular Dannon unflavored yogurt full fat yogurt at the grocery in qt containers. I'm going tohave to try the homemade -- found that same recipe a few weeks ago!

Doesn't the milk powder have more carbs though? The recipe I found didn't use it. Just whole milk.

nsmith4366
Sat, Jun-08-02, 05:05
Sure, the milk powder adds more carbs, but good bacteria does not discriminate. Meaning, whatever carbs/milk sugars are in there - the good bacteria will eat them up - and eat more of them up the longer the yogurt is incubated.

I incubate it myself - always many hours past the required 24, and it is EXTRA TART when done, I figure the good bacteria just kept eating and eating whatever carbs/lactose was present until it was almost gone. Whatever carbs/milksugars are added are eaten up, especially if incubated for gosh, sometimes two days or longer.

It's my reasoning. I've been eating my yogurt regularly for a year - and alot of it. I haven't stalled, gained or plateaud. It's a wonderful high calcium food - and you can ADD fiber to it if you like (flaxseed) for example or psyllium. The article also complained that it had no fiber - so what? Add your own!

:) Enjoy!
Nancy