PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Stones. And Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cherter
Wed, May-06-15, 12:09
Hello. My husband and I have successfully lots weight with a ketogenic diet. However , I found your site while searching for answers to preventing kidney stones. My husband developed kidney stones after about a year on the diet. The urologist was clueless. He just said to drink more than 2 qts of water. I am in search of someone knowledgable concerning this problem. He passed the stones but his urine still has high specific gravity. He stopped all supplements except his probiotic. I have heard that there is a way to improve electrolytes but not sure how if that will help.
Really hoping someone can help.
So glad you are here so chat with.
A special thanks to the creator of this blog!
Thanks.

teaser
Wed, May-06-15, 12:36
Kidney stones can be a side effect of the ketogenic diet for epilepsy, but that's a stricter version of the diet than most adults follow for weightloss. They give kids potassium citrate to prevent that. So that might be a good place to start.

JEY100
Wed, May-06-15, 13:29
Welcome to you and your husband :wave:
Kidney stones are an issue where there are plenty of "theories" out there about what causes them, but no one diet recommendation, especially when it comes to carbs. Best to give you many articles on it and see which ones might apply to your husband's personal health history, level of carb intake, magnesium, oxalates, etc.
This is Jimmy Moore's round-up on Kidney stones and LC: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/do-low-carb-diets-increase-kidney-stone-risk-lets-ask-the-low-carb-experts/10229

And Chris Kresser's dietician's thoughts:
http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-kidney-stones-naturally/

You will read that many believe a truly Ketogenic or VLC diet may contribute to Kidney stones, so if your husband is now at goal weight, now with a history of them, adding lots of non-starchy vegetable carbs and maybe some legumes to raise carbs a bit should probably be considered.

All the best,

KDH
Wed, May-06-15, 15:39
I know nothing about kidney stones. But I do know that 9 out of 10 people will blame gall bladder stones a LC diet, when the exact opposite is the truth.

A woman in my office just had a round with some rather nasty kidney stones. And I can assure you that she is NOT low-carb, lol! Maybe a mystery. I can say I haven't seen a lot of it on years and years of reading boards like this.