PDA

View Full Version : SF Worcestershire Sauce

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jenns99
Thu, Jun-06-02, 06:58
Can anyone recommend a good online source for SF Worcestershire Sauce.

Bonnie
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:20
Are you up to making your own?

This recipe has 32 grams of carbs per 3 cups therefore 1 cup would be 9.5 carbs and from there you do the math per Tablespoon... ;)

Worchestershire Sauce:

1 chopped Onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/4 in. thick slice of ginger
3 Tablespoons of yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1 in. long cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cardamon pods
2 cups vinegar
1/2 Sweetener (your choice)
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup tamarind pulp
3 T salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 crushed anchovy
1/2 cup water

Place the oinion, the garlic, the mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, peppercorns, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamon on a large piece of cheesecloth and tie in a bag.

In a large saucepan, combine the spice bag with the vinegar, the sweetener, soy sauce and tamarind. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.

Mix together the salt, curry powder, anchovy and water. Add to the liquid in the saucepan. Remove from heat. Pour the contnets of the saucepan (including the spice bag) into a stainless or glass container. Cover tightly and place in the frig for two weeks, mixing from time to time and squeezing the spice bag. After two weeks rmove the spice bag and bottle the sauce. Keep in frig and shake well before use....

Bonnie
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:35
and to help you along with your calculations:

EQUIVALENT MEASURES
This Much Equals This Much

1 gallon 4 quarts
1 quart 2 pints
1 pint 2 cups
8 quarts 1 peck
4 pecks 1 bushel
1 cup 16 tablespoons
7/8 cup 14 tablespoons
3/4 cup 12 tablespoons
2/3 cup 10 2/3 tablespoons
5/8 cup 10 tablespoons
1/2 cup 8 tablespoons
3/8 cup 6 tablespoons
1/3 cup 5 1/3 tablespoons
1/4 cup 4 tablespoons
1/8 cup 2 tablespoons
1/16 cup 1 tablespoons
1 tablespoon 3 teaspoons
7/8 tablespoon 2 1/2 teaspoons
3/4 tablespoon 2 1/4 teaspoons
2/3 tablespoon 2 teaspoons
5/8 tablespoon 1 7/8 teaspoons
1/2 tablespoon 1 1/2 teaspoons
3/8 tablespoon 1 1/8 teaspoons
1/3 tablespoon 1 teaspoon
1/4tablespoon 3/4 teaspoon

jenns99
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:47
I would love to make my own, but I am not very good in the kitchen and the recipe sounds way to involved for little old me. LOL

Thanks for the help though.

IslandGirl
Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:38
Hey, Bonnie, someone in the Products forum as asking after worcestershire.... and I suggested finding a recipe (and here you are, providing a recipe!).

Thanks for the recipe.... probably easier to scale in MasterCook, so I'll see if I can 'render' this down into human size proportions and tweak a bit.

Thanks again.

Chud
Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:30
This looks kick'n Bonnie, I have already printed off the recipe so I can try it this weekend.

Thanx,

Chud

deb34
Thu, Jun-24-04, 13:49
what's the measurement for sweetner in this recipe? It states "1/2 sweetner" 1/2 what?

Deb

IslandGirl
Thu, Jun-24-04, 14:30
what's the measurement for sweetner in this recipe? It states "1/2 sweetner" 1/2 what?

Deb
we old-fashioned cooks assume it's 1/2 Cup Sugar (equivalent sweetener, e.g., 1/2 Cup Splenda granular).