PDA

View Full Version : First day "withdrawls"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cndbeur
Tue, Apr-28-15, 23:33
Hi there! Today is my first day of Atkins induction.
Ive done atkins once before about 2 years ago and I lost 15lbs.
Trying to lose some more weight and hopefully finally go to the beach this summer after 8 years! I have been suffering from headaches all day today, I tried drinking some diet coke to see if it was from caffeine but I think its from not having sugar! Didnt feel like this last time so I wondering if anyone has experienced this in the past, how long did yours last and is there anything I can do to make them go away or do I just have to wait it out?

esw
Wed, Apr-29-15, 01:00
Welcome.
"Yes"withdrawal symptoms are perfectly normal and will vary in intensity and length for different people!
You could look at it as, its your bodies way of showing just how attached to sugar it's become! Whilst the symptoms may be unpleasant they will pass and you will be in a better place. Think about all the good nutritious foods you can enjoy. They will support you without making an impact on your ability to make the right choices (unlike sugar). Once your blood sugar is stable the symptoms and your appetite should be easier to deal with. Best of luck.

JEY100
Wed, Apr-29-15, 03:24
Welcome,
Headache can be from a lack of salt. The advice in Atkins since 2010 is to have two cups salty broth, mid morning and afternoon is good. Can also be dehydration, just drink plain water. Many tips in the newbie advice thread. Dr Eades has some advice about "not listening to your body" :) in this article:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/
Or Dana's starting out tips: http://holdthetoast.com/content/welcome-wonderful-world-low-carb
More here: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/help-low-carb-dieters/
All the best,

AnneChoco
Wed, Apr-29-15, 10:59
Hello! This is my first post and my first week into Atkins induction, so I was happy to find this site, and this thread.

I am on day 6, and I have been having terrible fatigue for the past three days. I think I need to get some potassium and go home and drink some chicken broth with a little extra salt. The past two days were bad fatigue-wise, but today I am considering going home from my desk job. I did strength train last night with my trainer as usual, and I think that may have made things worse.

I'm just glad to hear about the "Atkins induction flu" and that I'm not dying, haha. My husband has started Atkins also, but he is not feeling bad.

Cndbeur
Wed, Apr-29-15, 11:16
Thank you for your responses! I have been drinking a little over 3 liters of water a day Jey100 I woke up with a headache this morning and tried the broth it worked! My headache is gone and hopefully it stays like this, thank you!
Annechoco I heard you should take it easy on the exercise if youre going through the induction "flu". Try walking instead of vigorous exercise till your body adjusts and you can go back to your usual exercise routine.

AnneChoco
Wed, Apr-29-15, 12:03
Thank you for your responses! I have been drinking a little over 3 liters of water a day Jey100 I woke up with a headache this morning and tried the broth it worked! My headache is gone and hopefully it stays like this, thank you!
Annechoco I heard you should take it easy on the exercise if youre going through the induction "flu". Try walking instead of vigorous exercise till your body adjusts and you can go back to your usual exercise routine.

Thanks, I will do that. I forgot to mention that the first day of induction, last week, my trainer had me do a very strenuous set of exercises, so I'm sure that didn't help. Can you imagine having no sugar all day and the have someone make you do 10 each of Jumping jacks, push-ups, squats, bicep curls, crunches, and more? Then we had to do the whole set again with 9 reps. Then 8, then 7, and continuing down to 1. Towards the end, she kept saying, "It's a piece of cake, it's easy as pie!" Haha, she didn't know we had started the diet and we had a good laugh about it this week. :lol:

I hopefully will be feeling better by next week, if not, I'll reschedule our appointment.

Will be stopping at GNC to get some potassium, have some magnesium at home. Also will have some chicken broth with soy sauce as an extra measure. Thanks for the help guys!

Nancy LC
Wed, Apr-29-15, 12:26
Do you normally have a lot of caffeine? If you're going cold turkey, that can be pretty rough.

AnneChoco
Wed, Apr-29-15, 13:38
Nope, I stopped drinking soda over a year ago and I never liked coffee. Mother only caffeine I would get would be from chocolate. I'm pretty sure it's my magnesium and potassium.

Cndbeur
Wed, Apr-29-15, 14:19
AnneChoco holy cow thats intense for your first week! Im only on day 2 of induction and I tried exercising today I have no energy lol
Hopefully the supplements help with the fatigue! I am also taking a cocktail of supplements including:
GNC womens multivatimin
fish oil
CLA
ginco biloba
MACA (love this stuff!)

Kinura
Wed, Apr-29-15, 15:35
Welcome, Cndbeur!

AnneChoco
Wed, Apr-29-15, 20:23
What does Maca do?

JEY100
Thu, Apr-30-15, 03:30
If you still have fatigue in the beginning after adding salt, also be sure you are not doing both low carb and low fat. When you take away the energy from carbs/sugar, until your body becomes efficient at tapping into its own fat stores, you need to supply it with fat. Know Dr Eades addresses that in one of his tips on starting LC...eat the fat! which is hard for many coming from a Low Fat mindset. Add a pat of butter or T coconut oil to the salty broth.

AnneChoco
Thu, Apr-30-15, 07:43
If you still have fatigue in the beginning after adding salt, also be sure you are not doing both low carb and low fat. When you take away the energy from carbs/sugar, until your body becomes efficient at tapping into its own fat stores, you need to supply it with fat. Know Dr Eades addresses that in one of his tips on starting LC...eat the fat! which is hard for many coming from a Low Fat mindset. Add a pat of butter or T coconut oil to the salty broth.

Good morning! I took some potassium and magnesium last night when I got home from work and I could tell a difference in a few hours. I was out grocery shopping at 9:00 pm! The previous few nights I was in bed at that time.

I added some extra salt to my eggs this morning, and took more magnesium and potassium. I noticed was dancing while listening to my music and cooking breakfast. If this continues throughout the day, I'm sold for life!

Regarding the fat, you are correct, I was still buying boneless skinless chicken breast, duh! So last night I got drumsticks, leg quarters, and other good meats. I cooked some of the drumsticks this morning for lunch, and included some of the bacon fat drippings in the bottom of the pan. I also flipped the chicken a couple times to make sure it was soaked. :yum:

Also, after my first week, I lost 4 lbs., although the I'm sure at least 2 was water weight, but in my way. :thup:

Cndbeur
Thu, Apr-30-15, 11:41
Annechoco congrats on the weight loss! And happy to hear the potassium worked!

MACA is a natural supplement usually for regulating hormones and increase fertility I take it because I have very painful periods and it helps with that. Plus lots of other benefits like boosting immune system, increase energy, improving memory and helps with other diseases and cancers.

AnneChoco
Fri, May-01-15, 05:18
Annechoco congrats on the weight loss! And happy to hear the potassium worked!

MACA is a natural supplement usually for regulating hormones and increase fertility I take it because I have very painful periods and it helps with that. Plus lots of other benefits like boosting immune system, increase energy, improving memory and helps with other diseases and cancers.

Aha! Thanks, I'll have to look that up as we are trying to start a family...