PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimimcv
Wed, Apr-22-15, 10:05
Hi there everybody. Just wanted to say hello from Pickering, Ontario, Canada. :wave: I just started the Atkins diet on Monday, and haven't really noticed much change, but I'm not going to give up :) I work with children all day, and need the energy to make it through. I've been eating the Atkins Advantage bars for breakfast, and this seems to help curve my appetite. If anybody has suggestions on how to keep going in the face of temptation, I'd appreciate it.

bluesinger
Wed, Apr-22-15, 11:02
Welcome,

You'll find this a friendly and helpful group, willing to support all your best efforts.

Some of us have been doing LC since the first Atkins book in 1972. For me, eating this way has kept me from becoming diabetic. It is not a diet, but a WOE - for some like me a life-long commitment.

I have some LC bars in a kitchen drawer which I use in emergencies and for road trips, but if you're in the induction phase of Atkins, doesn't one bar contain all your carbs for the entire day?

I wish you good luck. The secret is to keep on trying.

Just Jo
Wed, Apr-22-15, 11:31
:wave:Hello from southwest Nex Mexico and Welcome to the best LC WOE site on the planet!!

You couldn't get me to eat one of those LC bars if I were starving, I stick to real foods and get my carbs from veggies.

To avoid temptation, I suggest you come up with different strategies... Here are some of mine:

1) FEED the NEED, if you're hungry, eat something legal off your Induction Acceptable foods list...you should never be miserable doing this!

2) Pack an emergency kit with none perishable foods that is on your Induction Acceptable foods list like canned tuna, chicken, bottled water and don't forget your can opener and keep it in your car.

3) I don't eat out much because I'm paranoid :daze: if I can't see how people are preparing my food. Waitstaff for the most part will only tell you what you WANT to hear. On the rare occasion that I do, I eat only what I recognize (steak, seafood, etc) and tell the waitstaff I am highly allergic to a lot of foods so don't put any sauces or spices on my food. Yeah, I'm a pain in the you-know-what to the poor waitstaff! But I figure it's my own good health at risk here....

Wishing you much success on your journey!

Onward, ↓ DOWNWARD & MAINTENANCE 4ever! :cheer:

:rheart: Jo :D

Hi! :wave: My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

bkloots
Wed, Apr-22-15, 13:04
Welcome, kimimcv. You'll do well on Atkins. However, you may soon discover that using Atkins bars and other manufactured dietary items can give disappointing results. You'll do much better learning what real foods you can eat that will be filling, convenient, nutritious, and weight-loss friendly.

Spend some time browsing this site. Lots of good suggestions!

My go-to breakfast is the famous One Minute Muffin. There are many recipes. It is induction-friendly, quick and easy to make, and extremely filling.

As a general rule, including fat in your morning meal will give you the energy and satiety you need. That could be butter, heavy cream, coconut oil, or bacon.

Best wishes.

X-carber
Wed, Apr-22-15, 20:32
hello and welcome :wave:

kimimcv
Thu, Apr-23-15, 04:13
Thank you everybody for your comments. I think I just might agree with staying away from those bars. Like I said, I really haven't noticed any changes, and besides they make me very gassy :skull: which makes it hard to be around people all day. It's a good thing I work with toddlers...I just blame the smell on them :lol:

bkloots
Thu, Apr-23-15, 06:42
It's a good thing I work with toddlers...I just blame the smell on them :lol: I wish I had that option sometimes.

Just Jo
Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:14
Hey Kim! About the gassy-ness, it's probably the sugar alcohols! Here's what I've researched and learned about those:Sugar Alcohols

Consumption of sugar alcohols does affect blood sugar levels, although less than that of "regular" sugar (sucrose). Sugar alcohols may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts. Some people it doesn't have to be excessive amounts to cause these side effects.

They are found in all kinds of sugar free products including but not limited to chewing gum, candies, LC shakes, LC bars etc. Here is a list of some of the sugar alcohols:

Arabitol
Erythritol
Fucitol
Galactitol
Glycerol
Iditol
Inositol
Isomalt
Lactitol
Maltitol
Maltotetraitol
Maltotriitol
Mannitol
Polyglycitol
Ribitol
Sorbitol
Threitol
Volemitol
Xylitol

When you're considering foods with low- or reduced-calorie sweeteners, always check the Nutrition Facts on the label. Many of the food products containing these types of sweeteners may still have a significant amount of carbs.

When I look at a nutrition facts label I always avoid anything that has an -tol at the end of it (I'm not going to memorize that LIST!!) because that's usually a sugar alcohol and for some of us, we process them exactly like carbs.

kimimcv
Fri, Apr-24-15, 04:20
Thank you Jo. I did wonder why on the nutrition label the carbs were very high but the front of the bar said 2 net Atkins carbs. I knew to minus the fiber amount, but I was unaware of the sugar alcohol. I guess I'm one of these people with a negative reaction to this ingredient.
:cry:

Just Jo
Fri, Apr-24-15, 06:47
I'm one of those people too, we are NOT alone!

A friend of mine told me this a while back, I hope it's helpful to you: Properly done, this is a continuing journey of observation, experimentation and self-discovery. Followed by implementation which is key!

Topic Change:
Do you keep a Food Log? Digital/old school paper & pen?? It's very useful in helping you pinpoint foods that may be a problem for you.

Personally, I weigh/measure everything I eat so I KNOW the exact portions. Weighing is more accurate then measuring 'cause I can cram a lot into a cup, if you know what I mean! :lol: And I do grams vs ounces cause they are more accurate, IMHO (28.35 grams = 1 oz)

A friend of mine last month ate the exact same things she ate in September (the month she lost the most) and she got almost the same results! So a Food Log is very important.

Keep fighting the Good fight ~ it's so worth it!

Onward, ↓ DOWNWARD & MAINTENANCE 4ever! :cheer:

:rheart: Jo :D

Hi! :wave: My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!