PDA

View Full Version : New Guy wonders about alcohol consumption

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

herrchilds
Wed, Jun-05-02, 12:26
Hello,

I'm not only new to this forum, but new to internet chatting period. I have been on the Adkins' diet for about 4 months now (for the third time), and have lost 50lbs. The diet has worked for me because I like protine foods, and I dont have to go hungry. The current research on additional health benifits is also impressive, and I have no problem making a life long committment to the principles of low carb dieting for the rest of my life, especially if it can help me maintain a normal weight.

I am a High School prinicpal in a small town in North Central Kansas. Before becoming a principal I taught world history and German language at a High School in Central Kansas. I really enjoy my work.

I was raised in the Army, and did some time in the Army myself. One of my main motivations for loosing weight is the opportunity to join an Army Reserve unit close by. Since they have very strict height and weight standards, meeting these standards has become my goal.

I would welcome any correspondence regarding Adkins, and have learned a trick or two since I've tried it a few times in the past. I do have one question if anybody can offer insight regarding alcohol consumption. I dont drink that often, but every once in a while I get a real "hankering". I really like beer (no doubt from my visists to Germany) but I know that it is very high in carbs. What about whiskey and a diet coke as this would be my next preference for an occasional drink? Will this affect my blood chemistry in a negative way (aside from intoxication of course)?

Thanks for listening.

hannahsmom
Wed, Jun-05-02, 12:38
Gruss gott Herrchilds,

The Atkins book has some clearly defined rules on booze and how the count carb-wise. Clear distilled alcohols seem to have 0 carbs (vodka, gin) and brown ones seem to have 1 g ( tequila, whiskey). Rum is made from sugar so skip that. I have kicked the Diet Coke because the sweetener in it causes me to crave all things sweet.
Beer's tough because it is high in carbs and wasted calories and like chips it's hard to have just one.
I'm weak so I just kicked it all to the curb since it's a horrible snowball for me...beer then a cigarette then a beer then bar nuts then bar pie then chips then more cigarettes then pasta then...you get the message.
By the way, it was easier for me to stop smoking than adjust to this WOL. Weird.

Viel gluck,
Nancy :wave:

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:12
Welcome, Herrchilds ! I am sure you'll be finding your way around this forum in to time at all. Be sure you stop by the "Newbies' Questions" forum and have a look through the thread stuck at the top called "Hot Links!" -it's a treasure trove of information.

To answer your question, As Nancy pointed out, Atkins gives you the information on carb counts for alcohols - and you can always find this information on this site using the Carb Counter Tool, located under LC Tools at the top of every page in orange highlight. Beers may be higher in carbs, but light beers are less so. Generally speaking the caution with alcohol is not that it will throw you out of ketosis - this usually doesnt happen. The worry is that along with alcohol consumption judgement can be compromised - those high carb foods you wouldnt normally touch don't seem that bad for you after a few drinks. Alcohol is also dehydrating - meaning you should compensate with extra water.

Alcohol, regardless of how you eat (low carb or low fat), is always turned into ketone bodies and burned as fuel first. So while it will not throw you out of ketosis it will put fat burning on the back burner. You should also be aware that because your body is so efficient now at using ketone bodies for fuel LCers often find they do not tollerate alcohol as they once did - LCing makes you a cheaper drunk ;)

HTH
Nat

herrchilds
Wed, Jun-05-02, 15:24
Thanks to both of you Nat and Nancy. Nat, how did you post your picture on your profile?

DarkLotus
Wed, Jun-05-02, 15:30
How true about being a cheap drunk! Two days ago my boyfriend had his first stout since we started Atkins 2 months ago. I have never seen him get so legless so fast! One drink did him in, so heed what everybody says herr! He was lucky and didn't get a hangover. Beer is my favorite food/beverage and I managed to give it up. I attribute about half of the weight I need to lose to beer alone! Though there is that new low carb beer coming out in Sept you know...... 2 carbs! :D

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-05-02, 15:43
Originally posted by herrchilds
Nat, how did you post your picture on your profile?

How to post an avatar (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11884)

You'll find step by step instructions on how to get a picture next to your name by clicking on the above link, herrchilds. The forum this link leads to is also where you'll find answers to many technical questions about how this forum operates :)

Nat