PDA

View Full Version : What's Gone Wrong

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pw64k
Tue, Jun-04-02, 05:23
Hi! I’m just coming to the end of my “Induction”, I lost 14lb in one week and thought the diet was great, now its all gone wrong, I’ve put 2 lbs back on, but that’s not my major concern, the thing is I feel really ill, I’ve had an headache most of the time (started taking potassium for that) I’ve got the “runs”, no energy ect ect. If I carry on like this I see no option but to come off the diet. Please help !

LittleAnne
Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:23
Hi you certainly lost weight in the first week 14 pounds is an awful lot to loose in such a short space of time. It is no wonder that you put two pounds on in the second week as your body was adjusting to a very new regime. That explains that part.

Now, why are you not feeling well and also have the runs. I must admit the problem is usually consitpation, not the other way round. I would be interested to know how many calories you are eating each day and also how many carbs. It is possible that both are too low. Are you eating between 10 and 12 times your bodies weight in kcals. A quick way to check this is using Fitday.com (http://). Although this is an American site it can give you an indication of the calories you are eating along with the carbs, protein and fat quantities. Once registered, if you look under activities it will tell you how many kcals your body needs each day to survive - basal metabolism and also for your lifestyle. You should never eat less than the basal amount otherwise your body will think it is going into starvation mode. This is not a low calorie diet.

The runs are probably caused by your change of diet. The bacteria present to digest it have had to change and I think they are taking time to settle down. I suspect you are drinking plenty of water, so that is good. You might like to add a little salt as well as potassium to your diet as you are losing quite a lot of both at present and this will also help your gut.

If it does not clear up in a day or so visit Doreen's journal, the administrator, and put the question to her as she is a nurse.

Keep motivated and keep the faith with this way of life.

Natrushka
Tue, Jun-04-02, 15:53
Getting the runs or becoming constipated is a common occurance when you begin this WOE. I too experienced the runs about 3 weeks into LCing. It's common and usually the result of higher fat, especially if you're coming from a low fat diet. It's so common there's a name for it! "Transient diarrhea" - meaning it's not permanent ;)

Check atop the page in orange highlight for the Low Carb Tips section - there is an article there by Doreen called 'Intestinal Health" it will give you some ideas on what you can do to help yourself. Psyllium husk, a fiber supplement, in a large glass of water is what I used - the psyllium bulks up the stool.

Nat

pw64k
Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:25
Hi! Thanks for the useful replies I’m not that good at calculating carbs and cals, but here is a normal days diet, breakfast omelette made up of 3 eggs, cheese, mushrooms, butter and tomato, lunch salad with can of tuna mixed with mayonnaise, dinner, 2 pork chops, broccoli and cauliflower. About 8 pints of water a day, 2 multi vits, 1 potassium tab, 2 calcium and magnesium tabs. I’m not sure if this is OK to live on each day, but I do feel hungry sometimes.

Thanks in advance.
Paul W :wave:

fiona
Wed, Jun-05-02, 00:03
Paul

Welcome to the Forum. Hang in there.

If you feel hungry EAT. This WOE is about not going hungry.

Fitday.com is easier to use than you can imagine. Try it. You really will be surprised.

Having completed Induction you need to increase your carb intake slightly 5g at a time as much of it in the form of vegetables as possible. All the more reason why you need to know what composition of food you are eating.
Take care,