PDA

View Full Version : say cheese!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hipgnosis9
Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:46
Hey all,

Today I learned the importance of cheese. The real cheese. I'm still trying to get over this fear of fat, but am realizing that it helps me stay satisfied and brings down the cravings. I was using low fat cheese because of my fear. But I was not feeling as satisfied as I thought I should after eating it. Well, tonight I cooked some chicken and put real cheddar on top and it was so much tastier and satisfying!
I think I'm still afraid of fat in butter and cheese and the cholesterol in eggs, but a few pounds have started to come off and I don't feel the hunger I did on low fat diets. I also feel better without all that sugar inside of me!

Best wishes to all!!

Sara :heart:

Karla
Mon, Jun-03-02, 18:07
Sara,

I have always wondered what low-fat cheese contains, since cheese is mostly fat; plastic?

Glad you are starting to recover from your fear of fat, because IMHO fat and chocolate are the two most important food groups! ;)

It really is important to eat enough fat on this diet, because you want the protein you eat to do its maintenance job on your cells while the fat you eat provides your daily fuel.

If you do eat enough fat, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great your skin looks; the faces of people on low fat diets always look so haggard and dry, and who wants to look like that?

Karla

hipgnosis9
Mon, Jun-03-02, 20:02
:thup: :)

i know what you mean karla about fat and your skin. i noticed that my skin looks like it's glowing in a way. i think my tan may help a bit, but my skin feels better too!
i also have noticed my nails are stronger and growing faster! i have always had such weak nails and could never grow them. i just got finished giving myself a manicure i was so excited! must be all the protein.
i see you are from hubbardston. my cousins used to live there, but moved away some years ago. i remember being out there when i was younger. i'm sure it's more peaceful than the city!
best wishes!
Sara :daizy:

MunchyP
Mon, Jun-03-02, 20:44
LOL Karla!!

Sara, I know what you mean about how difficult it is to overcome fat-phobia. When I first began this WOE a month ago, I had to constantly fight the urge to go low fat despite having read Dr. Atkins' book. I still have to make a conscious decision to use butter or oil instead of Pam everytime I cook. I'm getting over it though, because I'm finally believing what Nat said; "Fat is your friend".

:heart::rose:

alice 2002
Mon, Jun-03-02, 22:09
:thup: yet, I am still afraid of it too. :p I totally relate, it is very very hard to actually eat the fatty stuff, especially after years of eating low fat foods.

The other day, I actually ate the crispy skin of a chicken thigh... I actually don't remember eating the skin before. It was different, not sure if I would eat it again, but I thought I would try.

I also noticed that my finger nails are so much stronger than they have ever been. I keep waiting for them to split or break, but they are getting long and strong. What a cool bonus.

Keep up the good work!!! :thup: :wave:

Marlaine
Tue, Jun-04-02, 19:57
Hey there......

I know exactly what you mean about "Fear of Fat". I felt the same way when I began. Probably the best way to get over this fear is to have a before and after cholestrol test. When I began LCing, my cholestrol was "high normal" and after three months of eating increased amounts of fat, it had gone down to "low normal". Now I'm even daring enough to eat a tablespoon of butter in a chunk, like cheese, when I need to increase my fat % for the day.

It's true, the fat will help you feel satisfied so keep on eating it and work at keeping the % high. It's been proven that trying to do a low fat/low carb diet just doesn't work as well as high fat/low carb.

Marlaine