PDA

View Full Version : lowering fasting blood sugar levels

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Mon, Jan-05-15, 07:44
Hi all. I've been low carbing since 25th of December and my blood sugar has dropped from 400 to 200. My question is this: 1) is all the sugar in my body now gone now that I am eating low carb? 2) Will my blood sugar drop from 200 for its been that way for a week. Thanks

Nancy LC
Mon, Jan-05-15, 09:00
I would imagine that depends a lot on the state of your beta-cells. High blood glucose levels kill them off, but I believe they will grow back if you can keep your BG under control. Are you taking anything to lower your BG? 200 is still way too high.

Lessara
Mon, Jan-05-15, 09:33
all I have is the long acting insilin but my doctor wants my blood sugar to stabilize before going back on it.

Nancy LC
Mon, Jan-05-15, 10:10
What about metformin?

Liz53
Mon, Jan-05-15, 14:23
Lessara, you may be interested in the latest blogpost by Dr. Jason Fung about how one of his patients on ~100 units of insulin and 2000 mg of metformin per day was able to give up all meds.
Www.intensivedietarymanagement.com.

JEY100
Mon, Jan-05-15, 20:08
You have only been low carb 11 days, not very long to expect a 300 point drop. Consider testing before and three times after each meal to see patterns with different foods. When is the 200? How are PPs vs. FBG? Maybe there is a low carb food that gives you a delayed glucose response. Sugar alcohols? Try to find out all you can about your personal reaction to different foods.

Liz, yikes...A four week fast! That was the woman who spoke in the recent Diabetes lecture, when we thought she had said complete fast for 21 days, it was really 28! Oh my, now that is a fast.

Lessara
Wed, Jan-07-15, 13:10
I am allergic to metaformin

Liz53
Wed, Jan-07-15, 14:41
Liz, yikes...A four week fast! That was the woman who spoke in the recent Diabetes lecture, when we thought she had said complete fast for 21 days, it was really 28! Oh my, now that is a fast.

I've never tried it but it sounds like the first couple of days are hardest and the rest is relatively easy. She was pretty convincing.

Lessara
Wed, Jan-07-15, 18:07
By the way, this week my blood sugar is playing between 150 and 160. I think my body is adjusting to lower sugar and that's why it stayed 200.

Liz53
Wed, Jan-07-15, 18:36
Congratulations! that's great progress!

JEY100
Thu, Jan-08-15, 05:08
:clap: Also my congratulations.
Patience, and keep monitoring your BG response to various foods/combinations of to determine the best diet for you.

gel0507
Tue, Jan-20-15, 11:45
I started last week and am having the same problem. I can't get my fasting sugars below 200. Which I feel is CRAYZAY since I'm keeping carbs under 20g a day.

Nancy LC
Tue, Jan-20-15, 12:10
I can't imagine why a doctor wouldn't give you some long acting insulin or something with BG that high.

JEY100
Tue, Jan-20-15, 12:18
Since you just say Atkins, I will assume you are on the version where you are counting 20g Total not Net Carbs. If you give us an idea exactly what you eating, maybe we can see something in your menu. The Dr Bernstein Diabetes plan that many follow is a little more precise, with 6 carbs for breakfast and 12 for lunch and dinner. Snacking or grazing is very limited, meal timing is also important.
The Dr Fung videos are very informative, besides meal timing and fasting, he also suggests ACV and fiber to help BG. Are you on medication?
And you only started one week ago, so not much time for results from what is a dramatic shift in your diet. What were your numbers before this week?

Lessara
Tue, Jan-20-15, 18:30
I am walking at college, not alot 10 to 12 minutes back and forth but I noticed my sugar was up today. Also I wonder if my sugar goes up with the sight of a giant cookie next to me. If so maybe I shouldn't look at foods I can't eat on facebook lol

Bonnie OFS
Tue, Jan-20-15, 21:59
I'm also surprised your doctor hasn't got you on some sort of medication to get your BG down. There are other meds besides Metformin. It takes time - and experimentation - to get BG down without meds. Glipizide is a fast-acting one. I take it on the rare occasions my BG is way too high. But I know a woman who takes it daily.

For myself, I've found that eating late - like after 7 pm - will make my FBG higher. And, of course, eating too many carbs during the day.

Lessara
Wed, Jan-21-15, 05:35
Bonnie, my blood sugar average used to be 350 my A1c was over 10. I'm much lower and I've almost done a month of low carbing. All with a downward trend.

thomas1951
Sat, Apr-30-16, 08:56
Hi All,
Just a quick question - The only way it seems to keep my fb lower than 120 in the morning is by following Dr. Fung's adf and insulin at 20 units. Is their anything else you could recommend.
Thanks TAS 1951

JEY100
Sat, Apr-30-16, 09:34
Exercise before dinner? Walk after? Vinegar before every meal? Add Fiber? Talk to your doctor about staying on Metformin but dropping the insulin?
Dr Fung has been criticized for levels he considers OK BG, but check out his "success" stories and patient resources. Dr Davis does similar http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/04/zero-tolerance-for-hypoglycemia-2/. Let the BG rise temporarily to avoid hypos, but not over 200.

Fung's What to Expect here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150319014000/http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Intermittent-Fasting-What-to-Expect.pdf

Any change in your weight in 5 short days? Any luck Looking for another doctor?