PDA

View Full Version : Main objective: Lower triglycerides

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cthebird
Tue, Dec-09-14, 11:59
As the subject says, my main objective in going back on a low carb diet is to lower my triglycerides. They've inched up to 302!!!!! I also have slightly high cholesterol and glucose. It's important for me to keep these in check too. Diabetes II is very present in my family, and I don't want it.

The first time I went on a low carb diet it was because of my blood test results, as well, especially the triglycerides. I was also obese at 192. [I'm a female 5'6.5".] I lost 45 lbs on a dietitian prescribed program and my blood work normalized. I quit the diet mostly because the dietitian was an ignorant b*tch. I have a mental illness and she epitomized a person who had stigma against it and off the wall ideas about how to treat it.

This time on the diet (yes the one she prescribed, because I do like it) I also want to normalize my blood work again. I would also like to lose 16 lbs to get down to 142, although if my blood work is perfect at 150, that's fine. Right now I rather like my body for the most part, but I'm 1 lb above a normal BMI. 142 would be very nicely healthy slim for me.

Although it is possible that some of you might have something against medications, I will say that they are mandatory for me to live a fairly normal life. Don't even TRY to argue with me. Those who do do not live the hell I've been through. No one tells people with heart problems to stop their meds. No one tells people with cancer to just drink chamomile tea instead of trying chemotherapy. But the reason I mention my medications is because some of them might contribute to raising my triglycerides, cholesterol, and glucose levels. It is crucial that I keep my carbs and fats down to a reasonable degree and exercise. People with my illness often die younger than most if they aren't vigilant and take care of the whole shabang, not only because of diseases that can result, but because of the illness itself.

Nancy LC
Tue, Dec-09-14, 14:36
Welcome! You'll get tons of support here. If anyone suggests anything about your medications, just ignore them. It is done out of trying to help, not to annoy you. Most likely no one will unless you bring it up. Some folks have to take prednisone and that stuff is just awful to your blood sugar.

Low Carb is the best way to lower triglycerides. It also raises HDL, as long as you eat plenty of fat. And fat is very important in a low carb diet. I just noticed you're talking about keeping it low. I don't recommend that.

Also, just throwing this out there, but I've talked to a lot of folks that had some improvement in mental illness due to low carb eating and, I believe, because they go gluten free in the process of lowering their carbs.

There's a whole lot in The Gluten File (https://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/) about neuro-psychiatric disorders and gluten. Something most doctors haven't connected the dots on yet. It's one of those things that if it were me, I'd try for a few months (along with LC for the triglycerides) just to see.

Kristine
Tue, Dec-09-14, 16:04
Welcome aboard.

:wave: Me me me. I'd be one of those people who believes in a gluten connection in a lot of cases of mental/emotional illnesses. Nancy once posted a link to a thread on a celiac forum with dozens upon dozens of anecdotes, and that made me connect the dots by going back through my journal (my really personal one, not the one here). Awfully big correlation between meltdowns and prior gluten foods. I decided to go from "kinda pretty much gluten-free most of the time" to "whoa, maybe I should try taking it seriously," and I'll never go back. Huge improvement.

Like Nancy said, it doesn't hurt to try... and you don't have to tell your b*tch-ass dietician if you don't want to. ;)

jaywood
Wed, Dec-10-14, 01:03
Welcome to the most supportive forum on the web, hope you are able to get loads out of it.

Low carb, gluten free is the way to go (IMHO).

I personally think grain free, good omega oil quantities and a brain running on ketones leads to a healthier head :-).

Cthebird
Wed, Dec-10-14, 06:29
Thanks to all. As for the fairly low fat, my former dietitian said my 50 mg was actually high fat, but believe me, when I create my menus for the day it never seems to be enough. I guess I often ate high fat if 50 mg is considered high in fat.

I imagine my gluten consumption will be fairly low given the low carb diet. I do hesitate to limit too many things because I don't want to feel deprived. I'll look at the range of foods that are low or gluten free and see if there is anything I should avoid or at least keep in moderation. Thanks so much!

shades65
Wed, Dec-10-14, 20:46
Welcome Cthebird.

The first few days of low carb might feel a little bit limiting. Then you learn all the goodies you can eat with joy others on a low fat diet have to pass up. Heavy whipping cream in your coffee, cream cheese spread on walnut halves for a little snack. Baked or fried chicken with the skin as long as you do not flour it. How about a steak or pork chop for breakfast. Or scrambled eggs with bacon or a wonderful cheese omelet.

I am also trying to lower my cholesterol and my triglycerides were 417 or close. Low calorie and low fat did not work for me and I was rigid measuring weighing tracking my foods. the low carbs has been wonderful and finally giving me hope I am going to loose this weight.

JEY100
Thu, Dec-11-14, 06:11
Welcome,
There are many health reasons to be GRAIN-free, and not substituting with processed starches as found in commercial gluten-free products. Dr Davis of Wheat Belly fame, was just on the NYC PBS station...you might still be able to watch his one hour special on your local channel.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8946038#post8946038

Though never very high, my TRigs dropped quickly on Low Carb and have settled around 30 for the past four years. Low carb eating can result in a dramatic improvement in cholesterol! All the best,