PDA

View Full Version : Fasting Blood Glucose

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bonnie OFS
Wed, Nov-26-14, 22:36
What with the bothersome dawn effect, I can't get my fasting BG down below 120 on a regular basis. Sometimes it's in the teens, rarely lower. Over the last few months it hasn't gone higher than mid 130s, except once it was 145. (I know how that happened & it won't happen again!)

At Blood Sugar 101, she says FBG should be below 100. I can't remember what Dr. B suggests. For the rest of the day my BG is usually OK - below 130 1-2 hours after meals - often below 120 - and below 110 before meals.

What I'm wondering is: Is my FBG too high to be healthy? Should I be looking at some sort of medication (NOT metformin!)? I'm not taking any meds right now. I don't think I could lower my carb count by much - I'm generally under 20 carbs per day. But I suppose I could manage to get it under 10. I've done it before.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Meme#1
Wed, Nov-26-14, 23:31
I thought that the FBG had been raised to a number higher than 120. I stay below that around 100-110.
I think you are on the borderline but not in the danger zone.
You are checking several times per day? That is good because most people don't do that even when they should because their levels are much higher than yours and it fluctuates throughout the day.
My husband started Metfornin after using low-carb diet alone first and it did bring the average numbers way down but he still has fluctuations up to 160 for no reason so he started on 500mg once per day.

Meme#1
Wed, Nov-26-14, 23:40
I just had to check my BS and it's 102 after doing a little tasting for the first time while cooking some Thanksgiving sides tonight.
If you stay under 120 it seems like that is OK but I am no expert at all....