PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Iowa

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CindySueL
Tue, Nov-25-14, 14:56
AFter lowcarbing successfully in the 90s and early 2000s I somehow "forgot" how I need to eat. This summer a thorough physical showed that I had metabolic syndrome( and Vit D, folate and omega deficient) and my dr said I needed to go low carb. Wow how times have changed! The last time I went low carb Drs thought I was nuts.

Anyway I started in August but I refused to give up my glass of wine. After realizing the truth(that it was hampering my weight loss), I have straightened up and have lowered my intake of wine and food. I think I am one of those that must limit calories somewhat. I am starting to see the scale move and I am feeling really well. At least I'm past the initial tired phase!

For exercise I swim a couple times a week. I have arthritis in my neck/spine/knee so its the only thing that I can really do. I have psoriasis but says my arthritis is not PA which I guess is good.

Anyway I enjoy eating low carb and I am so happy there is a way to fix whats wrong!
-Cindy

omablue
Tue, Nov-25-14, 18:02
Hello. I'm also from Iowa.
I started lchf in mid August, too. I had never done it before. I had pretty much given up on ever loosing weight I love this woe. I feel tons better.
Welcome to the forum.

bevangel
Sun, Nov-30-14, 12:44
Welcome back to low-carb and to the forum!

Your doctor is pretty progressive to recommend that you go on a low carb diet. All the ones around here still advocate the "heart healthy" diet...lots of whole grains and very low fat...even for type 2 diabetics. Lucky you to have a doctor that is up on the latest research.

jmh6251
Sun, Nov-30-14, 21:43
Welcome CindySuel, :daizy: :cheer: Good for you taking your doctors advice, some people take awhile. My uncle never did go on a diet and died a couple of months ago of obesity complications. You should be proud of yourself :sunny:

JEY100
Mon, Dec-01-14, 04:33
Welcome back to LC, Cindy Sue. Dr Mike Eades of Protein Power fame has many good tips about doing LC "the second time around" and many reader comments.
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/help-low-carb-dieters/

If you also read the 2010 New Atkins book, there is emphasis on getting enough salt, especially in the beginning, but anytime carbs are low..it really helps overcoming any tired or lightheaded feeling. Also salt thread here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8626210#post8626210

I had moderate arthritis in my knees and hips and lifelong eczema, both which disappeared when I cut out all grains and sugar, even hidden grains in processed foods. New book to LC world is Dr Willliam Davis's Wheat Belly, and his latest book WB Total Health is on PBS pledge season right now in some markets. Highly recommend you read his books, blog and FB about grains and improving health conditions. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462637

All the best!

CindySueL
Mon, Dec-01-14, 08:33
Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions. I'm having bloodwork done tomorrow and I am hoping to see some changes. I will let you know!

Danalicius
Tue, Dec-02-14, 11:30
Welcome, CindySue!