PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lisamm
Wed, Oct-22-14, 10:28
Hello, I'm here and ready to roll doing Atkins. I've lost about 10 years ago on Atkins, the only successful woe I've ever done and then went off and gained 35 more lbs. I'm glad to be back in the supportive environment around here, I see some names I recognize from a few years ago and look forward to meeting new friends :-)

I'm doing strict induction and only started yesterday but so far so good. I'm dragging a bit today and have tendencies of second guessing my decision to eat all this fat and foods I've cut out for so long. It tastes so good though :-)

Any ideas for 'snacks' and in between meals would be appreciated!

bkloots
Wed, Oct-22-14, 14:20
Welcome back. Join the rest of us re-joiners. You'll soon be back on track. :)

I'm not much of a snacker, since ultimately (close to goal) the habit of snacking (especially when not actually hungry) ends up being counterproductive, know what I mean? You are not super-fat now, so perhaps you should go for meal-planning instead.

But in answer to your question, here's what I'd choose:
Pepperoni, deviled eggs, pork rinds with a little mayo dip or cream cheese, olives.

Best wishes.

lisamm
Wed, Oct-22-14, 14:32
Thanks Barbara, good advice on the snacking. I'm just feeling a little low energy on day 2 so was feeling the need for a snack.
I like your suggestions, thank you.

Kristine
Wed, Oct-22-14, 18:20
Hi and welcome from way up North. :)

Not to sound like a parrot, but I second Barbara's advice. You might feel snacky when you start out; while your body is inefficient at handling the new fuel you're throwing at it. Try to wean yourself off the snacking habit as you adjust. When you say you want to snack because you feel low on energy, keep in mind that that's a 'sugar' trick. The old have-a-candy-bar-for-a-sugar-rush thing. Snacking tends to make me feel more hungry, and eating too much just makes me more tired. It's usually best to have good, filling meals - but not too much - and then have nothing in between.

I'd suggest some coconut oil; that actually makes me start to sweat a bit and get jittery. :daze: I add it to my coffee or tea; or you could just eat it (yuck.) Fat bombs (use a google search to find many, many recipes) are another option, but you'd want to make sure they're induction-legal. They're basically just a high-fat little snack of some combination of coconut oil, butter, cream cheese, baking chocolate, cocoa powder, peanut or other nut butters, and/or sweetener.

Good luck. :wave:

bkloots
Thu, Oct-23-14, 07:24
I do have a fall-back fat bomb that's super easy to make.

1 cup coconut oil, melted
1-2 packet Splenda (or whatever sweetener you like, to taste. I like these bitter)
3-4 TBS cocoa powder
Small splash of vanilla extract (optional)

Put a couple of muffin tins in the freezer. This recipe makes about 8 pieces.
Spoon about 2 TBS of the mix in the cold muffin wells, and return it to the freezer for a while. Voila! I pop them out into a Baggie and keep them frozen. They will melt at room temp.

You can control the ingredients and the size of these bites to suit yourself.

I use these mainly to keep my fat % in a keto range. I find that I feel a little queasy if I eat one as a snack, without other food. So I usually have one with coffee as dessert after a meal.

lisamm
Thu, Oct-23-14, 17:36
Thank You Ladies! Great advice. I went and bought some coconut oil and tried it in my coffee, seems so wrong but I have to say it was so good. I agree, the snacking is a sugar 'trick' and just bad habits. I'm feeling full enough after my meals and today had a lot more energy. Day 3 for me.

I have another question regarding the website. Is there a way to see when someone has responded to my post or questions easily? and how do I start a journal?

bkloots
Thu, Oct-23-14, 19:12
You can get an email notification when someone responds to any thread in which you have posted.

Go to
User CP (upper left in green band)
Edit Options
Messaging and notifications
Email selection

See sticky thread How to start a journal in the Introduce Yourself section. Probably right above this post.

Best wishes.

JackiN
Sat, Oct-25-14, 22:49
Welcome back!!! For me it's deviled eggs and cold bacon.

runstar
Mon, Oct-27-14, 12:03
was reading this post and saw Kristine's post about fat bombs, so i googled it. wow. some great recipes. it put my imagination to work and i created my own 2 recipes. a chocolate fat bomb and a lemon bomb using a little different ingrediants than the lemon recipe i found. thank you Kristine for mentioning fat bombs. this will help make sure i get enough fat intake. :)

lisamm
Mon, Oct-27-14, 12:15
was reading this post and saw Kristine's post about fat bombs, so i googled it. wow. some great recipes. it put my imagination to work and i created my own 2 recipes. a chocolate fat bomb and a lemon bomb using a little different ingrediants than the lemon recipe i found. thank you Kristine for mentioning fat bombs. this will help make sure i get enough fat intake. :)

I still haven't tried these but think I'll give it a shot. How did you make your recipe, Runstar?