PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jamacker
Mon, Oct-20-14, 12:55
Hello all, my name is Joe. I am a 35 married male with 3 kids Chandler(6), Brooklyn(3), and Olivia(11weeks). I am 5"9 and weight 330. I have high bp and I am a diabetic. I have been taking bystolic once a day to treat my bp and 500mg of metformin twice a day to trreat the blood sugar. I work in IT in an educational setting. While I don't exercise, I do get out once a week and play volleyball for about 45min to an hour. I am interested in the low carb lifestyle not only to lose weight, but to also help improve my blood sugar. I don't know how realistic it is, but I would love to be down to 220lbs(this is a number the Dr. said would be ideal for me). I know there are several different LC lifestyle plans. I just have to find the one that fits me. My biggest issues are sweets, sodas, and potatos/rice. Healthy things that I love to eat include broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers. I also love chicken breast, steak, and turkey. My Dr. recommends ideal protein, but I don't want to just jump into something without knowing what's best for me. If I do chose a program, I want to try to do it without purchasing meals and plans and shakes from these companies and try to get them alternatively, mainly because of cost. Any and all help greatly appreciated. It would also be cool to find a few people that are starting they lifestyle change at the same time so that we can encourage one another and keep in touch with our losses and any unsuspected gains. Not sure what the policy here is with email contact, but I will leave my email address here if anyone wants to leave their opinion or sugestions on the different plans. I would also like for anyone interested in being a support system/group to be able to email me.

NoWhammies
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:30
Welcome, and congratulations on making a choice for a healthier life. That's sometimes the most difficult step in the journey - deciding to do something.

The best way to find a plan that works for you is to try a plan. You'll find here that there are many different ways to get to the same place of better health. I think what many people do is start on one plan, and then make tweaks as they go along. It's certainly what I did. I started with Atkins many years ago, and I have adapted and tweaked plans over the years until I've arrived at my current way of eating.

The reason so many of us do it this way - start one way and tweak as we go along - is because we discover all sorts of interesting and unique things about our own physiological needs during the process. For instance, I discovered dairy allergies and celiac diseases, which is why I ultimately veered away from Atkins and towards the ancestral diet I now consume. As you go about your business and learn about your body's own unique needs, as well as learning more about a low-carb lifestyle and how it affects you, you will probably find the perfect plan to suit your needs, as well.

You've come to a good place. There are some seriously knowledgeable and supportive people on this forum, and I am always in awe of just how deep of an understanding some of them have about low-carb living.

KDH
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:41
Hello all, my name is Joe. I am a 35 married male with 3 kids Chandler(6), Brooklyn(3), and Olivia(11weeks). I am 5"9 and weight 330. I have high bp and I am a diabetic. I have been taking bystolic once a day to treat my bp and 500mg of metformin twice a day to trreat the blood sugar. I work in IT in an educational setting. While I don't exercise, I do get out once a week and play volleyball for about 45min to an hour. I am interested in the low carb lifestyle not only to lose weight, but to also help improve my blood sugar. I don't know how realistic it is, but I would love to be down to 220lbs(this is a number the Dr. said would be ideal for me). I know there are several different LC lifestyle plans. I just have to find the one that fits me. My biggest issues are sweets, sodas, and potatos/rice. Healthy things that I love to eat include broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers. I also love chicken breast, steak, and turkey. My Dr. recommends ideal protein, but I don't want to just jump into something without knowing what's best for me. If I do chose a program, I want to try to do it without purchasing meals and plans and shakes from these companies and try to get them alternatively, mainly because of cost. Any and all help greatly appreciated. It would also be cool to find a few people that are starting they lifestyle change at the same time so that we can encourage one another and keep in touch with our losses and any unsuspected gains. Not sure what the policy here is with email contact, but I will leave my email address here if anyone wants to leave their opinion or sugestions on the different plans. I would also like for anyone interested in being a support system/group to be able to email me.

If you take control of your health, you will be taking care of your young family at the same time. Being as healthy as possible for them is the best gift you can give them.

I'm weary of what doctors say, as they are rarely educated or up to date on anything other than what the pharmaceutical and agriculture industries push as "good for you". I think Dr. Atkins had the best plan for 'clearing house' and then figuring out what works for you, but no matter what, have A plan, and stick with it. Your goal is absolutely achievable for a man your height, you just have to decide you want it. Then the magic happens. :agree:

MLRmom2159
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:53
Welcome! I just started as well. Its hard at first, but two weeks later I feel great and am down 8lbs. I used this awesome calculator to help me figure out what my calorie intake and ratios for fat, protein and carbs should be. I am attaching the link for you. Good Luck!
http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/

livinright
Mon, Oct-20-14, 16:25
I started with Atkins (the 2002 version of the book) and now follow what I call an Atkins/Paleo twist or "whole foods atkins"
The list of processed foods I will eat is very small.
For convenience, I batch cook and freeze leftovers in Rubbermaid containers. That way I always have heat and eat foods ready and don't have to decide between cooking/going hungry/eating off plan. I just nuke and eat.

Kristine
Mon, Oct-20-14, 17:45
Hi and welcome, Joe. :thup: Best of luck in sorting out a plan you can follow. If you tell us a bit more about your lifestyle, maybe we can help. What kind of support do you have from your spouse? How much cooking are you willing to do? (The more the better, but there are plenty of ready-made and ready-to-go salads and meats available these days.)

We don't permit posting email addresses here, as stated in the forum rules to which you clicked 'I agree' when you joined, but you're an IT guy so I can see why you think you can skip the terms and conditions. ;) You're probably just like my programmer guy.

All the best. :thup:

inflammabl
Mon, Oct-20-14, 18:06
Healthy things that I love to eat include broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers. I also love chicken breast, steak, and turkey.

You'll do just fine. :D

khrussva
Mon, Oct-20-14, 18:50
Welcome Jamaker -- you're doing the right thing. I wish you the best as you get started on a way of eating that can heal you.

I'm an IT guy, I have 3 kids, I'm a diabetic, and I started my LCHF way of life 100 pounds heavier than you. I lost more than 100 pounds in my first 8 months, my cholesterol numbers and blood pressure numbers are vastly improved, and I dropped a full point on my A1C (7.0 to 6.0) in the first 3 months. I've done it all by simply eating the right foods. For me, a Low Carb High Fat diet truly works miracles. I'd be willing to bet that it can do the same for you.

I tend to get carried away on some of my posts -- so I won't do it here. If you want more info on how I got started and how I've gotten to where I'm at, I suggest reading my journal. It is still pretty short and gives a good overview of how I've gone from a hopeless case to a man on a mission... a mission to get healthy and be here for my family. Giving up the junk food really does seem tough -- if not impossible. But I tell you, it can be done and it is not as difficult as you might think. All you have to do is get started. I wish you the best. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Kerry2x
Tue, Oct-21-14, 09:57
Write a list of carb filled foods that you enjoy, go back and cross off the list those that you can live without, then go to the recipe forum or search low carb recipes, I promise for every carb FILLED food, you can find one that will take it's place. The more weight you lose, the less important those carbs become.
Grab a journal while your at it, it really helps, we all pop in and out of each others journals as we go! Best of luck to you!

jmh6251
Mon, Nov-03-14, 18:05
:wave: Hi Joe and welcome!!! I'm not new to this anymore, but wouldn't go back if my life depended on it. My BP, and Pulse, and cholesterol have normalized. So you are following the right course of action. I'm not a doctor so I won't tell you that it happens to everyone, but it did for me. :idea: You have chosen the right group these people are very helpful

JEY100
Mon, Nov-17-14, 04:18
Welcome Joe,
Ken and a few other guys on this forum will be an inspiration for you and we are all here to support you in a LC, and real food, lifestyle. If you lose weight through shakes, would you want to continue to drink those forever? Not me, so it is best to start and continue using real, whole food.
I think it helps to understand how low carb works to control appetite and support good health, a favorite book is Why We Get Fat which has an easy good eating plan to control blood sugar in its appendix, (based on the clinic plan used by Dr. Atkins in 1990) No time for a book?...this one page explains how low carb works, outlines a meal plan and includes five great videos explaining the basics.http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf Also check Dr Eenfeldt's diabetes page and the diabetes forum here for more advice on blood sugar control. Look around the sub-forums, so much information (maybe not in the latest and easiest techy format since the forum has been around a long time!) but more than enough here and wonderful people to help you find your path to good health through Low Carb.