PDA

View Full Version : 2 Weeks In - Looking for Support!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MLRmom2159
Mon, Oct-20-14, 09:39
I started my low carb lifestyle two weeks ago on 10/7/2014 at 154lbs, I am also 5 months post partum and weaning from breastfeeding. As of 10/17 I weighed 146lbs. I typically weigh myself everyday but after this past weekend I am afraid to get back on the scale. I thought on Saturday I could give myself a cheat day for all the hardwork over the past 10 days well my cheat day turned into a cheat weekend. I am now feeling discouraged and disappointed in myself and afraid to get on the scale. I also feel like I am making a mistake by not counting calories, I have heard so many mixed opinions on this and Im not sure which way to go or how many calories I should be eating. Any words of encouragement and some advice would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to reach my goal of 125 by mid January, is this do-able or am I crazy to think I can lose 30lbs by then? :help:

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-20-14, 12:27
Eating carbs has the unfortunate side-effect of making you want to eat more carbs. That's why my philosophy is: If you cave you will crave.

Give yourself a break from the scales for a week while you get back to it.

If you stop losing and you're sticking to the program that worked before, you might need to cut calories a bit, but until that happens why bother counting calories? Even then, you don't need to count them, but cut back on portions a bit, knock out snacking, something like that.

Setting up weight/time goals is unreasonable. Your body has its own agenda and it takes as long as it takes. Besides, you need to figure out what you're going to do once you do hit goal. Otherwise you'll be one of the ones that comes back in a few months posting an "oops, I'm back" post. :-)

Anyway, dive back in. The sooner done the better. And welcome to the site!

MLRmom2159
Mon, Oct-20-14, 12:47
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunatley I do not do well if I dont set goals, so maybe I should set some smaller ones first. But your right I need to figure out what I am going to do once I finally reach that goal!

NoWhammies
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:25
I think small goals are a great way to go, especially if that is what motivates you.

We've all had a cheat day turn into a cheat weekend (or longer). These things, they happen, so don't be too hard on yourself.

KDH
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:48
I started my low carb lifestyle two weeks ago on 10/7/2014 at 154lbs, I am also 5 months post partum and weaning from breastfeeding. As of 10/17 I weighed 146lbs. I typically weigh myself everyday but after this past weekend I am afraid to get back on the scale. I thought on Saturday I could give myself a cheat day for all the hardwork over the past 10 days well my cheat day turned into a cheat weekend. I am now feeling discouraged and disappointed in myself and afraid to get on the scale. I also feel like I am making a mistake by not counting calories, I have heard so many mixed opinions on this and Im not sure which way to go or how many calories I should be eating. Any words of encouragement and some advice would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to reach my goal of 125 by mid January, is this do-able or am I crazy to think I can lose 30lbs by then? :help:

Cheat days suck. For real. Every time I see somebody here writing about how they need/deserve one, I TRY to explain why it's not a good idea. If you want a reward, buy new shoes or get your hair done, lol!

It seems the opinion of calories is actually pretty universal around here. You probably won't need to, but close to goal you may find that you do. It's really that simple.

MLRmom2159
Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:55
Thanks everyone, may I ask how many carbs everyone eats? I have read that some people eat closer to 50 a day while others eat 15 to 20.

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-20-14, 14:20
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunatley I do not do well if I dont set goals, so maybe I should set some smaller ones first. But your right I need to figure out what I am going to do once I finally reach that goal!
You should set goals around things you can control, like your behavior, not things you really can't control like scales and the calendar. :-)

KDH
Mon, Oct-20-14, 16:05
Thanks everyone, may I ask how many carbs everyone eats? I have read that some people eat closer to 50 a day while others eat 15 to 20.

Honestly? As few as possible. I rarely count anymore, but when I do am below 20. I don't eat food out of boxes/packages, while avoiding fruit and higher-carb and/or starchy veggies whenever possible. Sometimes while eating out I run into questionable salad dressings, etc. But really don't sweat it much anymore. I stay AWAY from things I know I can't handle now, instead of trying to figure out how much of it I can try to get away with.

NoWhammies
Mon, Oct-20-14, 16:22
I probably eat between 20 and 40 grams of carbs per day - usually towards the lower end.