PDA

View Full Version : why/how does illness cause bloodsugar to rise?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mama Sebo
Sat, Oct-18-14, 07:07
Can anyone explain to me what happens when something like an illness, or smoking or the other things that can cause raised BS happen? (Did that sentence make sense?) Is it stress causing the liver to release glucose?

Kristine
Sat, Oct-18-14, 12:45
Nicotine does stimulate the release of glycogen into glucose, yes. I think that's why so many smokers gain weight when they quit. It's not just because they need to put something in their mouth.

Illness, I've heard it's higher cortisol. I bet in a lot of cases, it's made worse by medications and changes in appetite and eating.

soapluvr
Mon, Oct-20-14, 17:27
My husband a few days ago had a heart attack. mild one I guess but no damage to the heart. A stent was put in. He was in the hospital for two nights. His glucose was 105 and it's normally right around 90 and he doesn't eat as low carb as I do. He will now though.

Bonnie OFS
Tue, Oct-21-14, 18:37
His glucose was 105 and it's normally right around 90 and he doesn't eat as low carb as I do. He will now though.

Good thing for him that you know about low carb. When my husband had his heart surgery I bought the low-fat gospel they preached hook, line, & sinker. Didn't do either of us any good.

Fortunately, he's got a tough constitution and is going on 20 years since the surgery.

Mama Sebo
Wed, Oct-22-14, 05:12
Thanks Kristine, talhat was helpful! All the best to soap amd Donnie with their continued suppport of loved ones.