PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Julie Vol
Thu, Oct-16-14, 09:56
Hi Everyone....

I'm new and need support. I am doing low carb but not induction. Feeling like weight is going up by the day and feeling frustrated. My problems are salt, fat and carbs...lol Too much of all that.... Looking to make lifestyle change here and now...

Hope everyone has a great day!

Julie VOL :wave:

bkloots
Thu, Oct-16-14, 10:45
Hi, Julie. Welcome to a friendly forum. And congrats on getting started on a journey to good health and long life. :)

You are following Atkins? You have read the book (which one?). You are puzzled about the amounts of fat, etc.? Here's a suggestion or two:

--Post a typical day's menu
--Tell us what your "carb target" is since you are not doing induction
--How long have you been on the plan?

Salt and fat should not be a problem, since you are permitted plenty of both on the Atkins plan.

Best wishes.

Julie Vol
Thu, Oct-16-14, 21:37
I have read Atkins...it's been awhile but I remember everything about Induction. I think I will just start with cutting carbs and if I'm still struggling go straight for Induction. Thanks for writing!

Just Jo
Fri, Oct-17-14, 05:51
:wave: Hey Julie!

It's not just cutting the carbs, but cutting enough carbs to get into ketosis. It's the "appetite suppressant" effect of being in ketosis that's really remarkable when you go low carb. I know that's why it's worked for me and the others here. The added benefits to LC WOE, IMHO, is getting rid of the cravings for that toxic carb-age and you start turning your body into a "fat burning" machine.

Wishing you much success on your personal LC journey!

:rheart: Jo

bkloots
Fri, Oct-17-14, 06:41
Jo provided a more detailed explanation of why Atkins "works"--beginning with induction. That's the physiological process that converts the body to a fat-burning machine and has the "magic" effect of suppressing appetite.

If you skip that, and just cut carbs, you may end up with the worst of worlds: a lower-calorie diet that keeps you hungry. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Millions of people (including me) have lost tons of weight by cutting carb (and usually fat) calories at some time in their lives. It's just tough to sustain.

You might look at a plan like Protein Power that will provide different guidelines and a different rationale for reduced carbohydrate eating. I'm not that familiar with it, but you'll find people on this forum who use it successfully.

Best wishes

Julie Vol
Fri, Oct-17-14, 08:02
Thank you both for your replies... I have to admit I'm frustrated. I'm going to do some serious thinking about this today and make a decision which way to go. I will look into the power protein as well and see if that would fit my lifestyle/

You guys are the best. I lost weight here before on Atkins and I remember you Bokloots!

Hugs you both!

Julie Vol :lol:

bkloots
Fri, Oct-17-14, 09:45
Julie, click on the Protein Power section of the forum and you'll find quite a lot of discussion comparing PP with Atkins.

KDH
Fri, Oct-17-14, 13:50
I have read Atkins...it's been awhile but I remember everything about Induction. I think I will just start with cutting carbs and if I'm still struggling go straight for Induction. Thanks for writing!

I'm kind of a broken record about this, but understanding WHY this works is just as important as knowing what to eat. Like why salt and fat are not your enemy. Or why restricting calories is probably not necessary, and can even be detrimental to some. For long term success, I wouldn't just recommend re-reading Atkins, but also reading everything else you can get your hands on. "Why We Get Fat" and "Big Fat Surprise" are great, Dr. Bernstein always for diabetics, Jimmy Moore's Clarity books are great, Wheatbelly and Grainbrain... The list is huge, but the more you understand, the easier it is not just to stick with it, but to be able to figure out what works best for YOU. Because no two people work in exactly the same way.