PDA

View Full Version : New to this great forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dawn296
Mon, Oct-13-14, 06:58
Hi Everybody,

I am new here, just joined last week. I started Atkins last Sunday Oct 5 and when I weighed my self this morning I am down 9 lbs. Very happy with that result. I have done LC before and had good luck. I have never been in ketosis before and yesterday when I woke up I felt like I had licked a steel fence post, and today also. I guess that is what I was looking for, lol.

I have been reading thru the forum and all the posts all week and have gained a wealth of knowledge from everyone. I think success this morning was due to the forum and all the stuff I didn't know. I am also using MY PLAN because I love tracking what I eat and It really helps not over eat.

I have moderate Rheumatoid Arthritis so sometime exercise is a challenge when my right foot is acting up, but I think my symptoms are less today?? My shoulders feel better this morning also. I seemed to flare up last Wednesday quite bad but now everything is starting to feel better. Fingers crossed that keeps up!!!

Today is also my 6 week anniversary quitting smoking so I'm starting to feel pretty healthy. Thanks for such a great forum with so much advice and support for members. :D

bkloots
Mon, Oct-13-14, 07:29
First of all, good going on the smoking thing. That's the hardest thing you will ever put your body through. And to tackle a diet change at the same time? You are Superwoman!

Needless to say, you'll feel worse before you feel better. But once you get totally into your new way of living, you will wonder what took you so long. And this forum will be cheering for you from now on.

Best wishes!
P.S. We have a place up at Parry Sound in the summer. It's a long drive from KC, but we love it.

Dawn296
Mon, Oct-13-14, 07:34
Thank you bkloots and yes quitting smoking was hard but it puts everything into perspective. I am about 5 hours north of Parry Sound. Very nice area of Ontario and we have family near there in Dorset.

NoWhammies
Mon, Oct-13-14, 08:45
Congratulations on all of your healthy changes you're making in your life. It must feel great to be taking such good care of yourself!

JEY100
Mon, Oct-13-14, 08:51
Ditto what Barabra said. Quitting smoking and going low carb, quitting sugar and starch at the same time, is brave indeed. If you can do that, you can do anything! Good for you taking control of your health!
Consider reading about how auto-immune diseases can improve and sometimes go into remission by being completely grain and sugar free, esp. with a focus on nutrient density. Highly recommend Wheat Belly and the new Wheat Belly Total health. but to learn more specific science related to AI, check out Dr Terry Wahl's and Dr Sarah Ballantyne's books.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=458988

http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol

Dawn296
Mon, Oct-13-14, 17:08
Thanks NoWhammies and Jey100. I was planning on getting the Wheat Belly book today, but it is a holiday in Canada so I will go get it tomorrow. I have read everything online that I can so I need to read the books. I have been researching AI for many years and yes I should have started this along time ago. I was doing fine until about a year and half ago ughhh wish I knew then what I know now lol. Its funny how one article on my facebook about 2 months ago started all this including quitting smoking. I decided to tackle that first lol.

Appreciate everyones input thank you

Just Jo
Mon, Oct-13-14, 17:12
:wave: Hey Dawn! Welcome to the best LC WOE site on the planet.

Many wonderful, experienced and LC WOE successful people on this site who are more than willing to help and support us as we journey thru LC WOE. If you have any questions, just ask, someone will have an answer!

Wishing you much success on your personal LC WOE journey!

Onward and DOWNWARD! :cheer:

:rheart: Jo

Dawn296
Mon, Oct-13-14, 17:14
Thank you Just Jo! I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and the support is great too!

Just Jo
Mon, Oct-13-14, 17:25
Thank you Just Jo! I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and the support is great too!Oh I agree :agree: 100%. I happened to find this amazing place when I was nearing maintenance and wanted support from those that have been thru it and see how they were handling the weight loss. There are people here that have kept the weight off for a decade or more...that is soooo encouraging since I REFUSE to REGAIN.

I think it's incredibly wonderful that you quit smoking 6 weeks ago and are now doing the LC WOE to improve your health. HUGE congrats :cheer: on that. I need to quit as well ~ so that's the next demon :devil: on my list to annihilate!

Keep fighting the good fight, Dawn, I'm over here cheering :cheer: you onward and DOWNWARD!

:rheart: Jo

kmme
Mon, Oct-13-14, 18:26
Hi Dawn,

Welcome to the forum, it really is a great place, lots of friendly people. I as well have a form of inflammatory arthritis, called Palindromic ( apparently it's quite rare) so I totally understand about the flares and how it hinders working out. I have found however I have been so much better since I don't eat carbs..coincidence I don't think so, but that's a personal opinion, I wish you the same luck with it.
Congrats on the 9 pounds down! That's a terrific start:)
Quitting smoking as well . I quit in March of this year , you should be proud , battling both at the same time is not easy:)
To your continued success, keep us posted:)

Kim