PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, but not to low carb

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BillP63
Tue, Oct-07-14, 08:50
Hi, my name is Bill and I've lost a ton of weight on low carb, but lost focus and gained a fair amount of it back. Now I'm back to finally get rid of it once and for all.

Back about 2000, I was 5'7'' and had a 64 inch waist, and could just barely get 6X shirts to stay buttoned when I sat down. I couldn't stand or walk more than about 10-15 minutes at a time before the back pain set in. I estimate that I weighed between 500 and 550 lbs, but never found a scale that would weigh me.

I saw a copy of Protein Power in a local bookstore and thought, "what the heck! I'll give it a try". I took the book home, read it and started low carbing. About 8 months later, in August of 2001, when I finally screwed up the courage to purchase a bathroom scale that went to 400, I was down to 365. I stayed at it and right around Jan of 2002, I hit 300, making it all the way down to 295 by March of 2002, when I met the woman who would later become my wife.

I entered a relationship, and bumped along at 295-300 until September of 2002, when I quit smoking. I promptly gained 50 lbs, and found myself at 350. A few months later, we got engaged, and then in July 2004, married. Between 2004 and last Summer, I gradually drifted up, a little at a time, another 60 lbs thinking; "Well, still down 100 or 150 lbs from my 'all time high', that's not TOO bad" (YEAH, it WAS!).

Last August, I hit 411 and finally decided to do something about it. I don't know why, (probably wishful thinking, I LOVE BREAD!) but I thought I could do it by calorie limitation without reference to carb counts. It worked, sorta. Over the next year, I did manage to lose 30 lbs and get down to 381.

On 8 September, thinking there had to be a better way, I started back to low carb, using the Protein Power plan. In the past four weeks, I've lost 16 lbs and I'm down to 365, on my way to 250.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm looking forward to hanging out here and getting to know you folks.

Just_Pam
Tue, Oct-07-14, 08:53
Welcome,Bill :)

khrussva
Tue, Oct-07-14, 11:19
Hello Bill

We are the same age, and based on what you posted -- we pretty much have the same story -- even down to the "love bread" comment. You've come to the right place. This is a great place to learn and help you figure how what you need to do to succeed. I've pretty much been on and off a "diet" since forever -- always creeping up a little more after each failed weight loss attempt. I've done low cal, low fat, fasting, and poorly executed low carb -- all with the same end results. This time, however, I seemed to have figured how to do LC right and a lot of what I learned I got from right here on this website.

The keys for me...

1) Resist cheating until the urge to cheat fades away -- or at least turns into something more manageable.
2) I think "Way of Life" - not "Diet." Sugar, starch, and me don't mix well and never will.
3) I stick with my plan. I eat high fat, low carb food - period. If a particular food gives me problems -- I stop eating it. I never stop learning and will continue to tweak my plan and make it work for me.
4) I've learned to enjoy what I'm doing. Good thing, too - since I plan on doing this for the rest of my life.

We've got a long journey ahead of us. Let's get it done!

Kerry2x
Wed, Oct-08-14, 14:47
:wave: Hi Bill, Welcome and good luck on your journey!!

Just Jo
Thu, Oct-09-14, 01:45
:wave: Welcome and hello to the best LC WOE site on the planet, Bill!

Wishing you much success on your personal LC WOE journey!

Onward and DOWNWARD! :cheer:
:rheart: Jo