PDA

View Full Version : Post-vacation restart

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bonnie OFS
Tue, Jul-22-14, 19:58
One week not at home & with some stressful family stuff - result, 2 extra pounds and my BG too high. :(

I didn't even eat off-plan (much - the almonds were a result of self-delusion), but I had little control over when I ate, and while the main foods were LC-friendly, they were also low-fat. And things like the commercial salad dressing had more carbs than my homemade, and the mayo had hfcs in it. :(

So now I'm back to the beginning to get my BG down to where it was the week before.

I'll be going back in a few weeks for my daughter's wedding. This time I'll remember to take my own salad dressing & more of my own food. But I'm going to have to exert even more self-control than usual - the wedding is taking place in a donut shop! :Party:

JEY100
Wed, Jul-23-14, 03:32
In a donut shop! That's a new one, foodie version of a destination wedding? Even MOB bringing her own salad dressing might seem out of place :) you might just have to go with the flow that day, sure it will be fun.

Welcome back, two pounds and a few almonds is nothing, you will soon have your BG under control again. You might check out the Dr Fung thread, there is summary of his lectures reduced to 50 minutes if you think some version of IF may help you get back on track.

Bonnie OFS
Wed, Jul-23-14, 08:34
I've been following the Dr. Fung thread - it's helpful.

I'm actually surprised I didn't do worse. It helps that my sister always has green salads & meat - lean, but that's why I had my coconut oil. :)

I did tend to eat more than I do at home, but pretty much stuck to the meat & salads. The only almost-slip (other than those pesky almonds) was when I was so busy talking at the dinner table, I almost dished up some potatoes as the bowl was passed! Not exactly mindful eating.

I used my sister's fast Internet to watch videos, but I didn't have time for Dr. Fung's. Doubt if I will when I'm there for the wedding.

I'm not worried about the doughnuts (tho I'm wondering if I should toss sprinkles instead of rice :D ) as I do like to talk! It's hard to eat & talk at the same time. Now if the venue was a cinnamon roll place, it might be more difficult. ;)

I did keep my mouth shut and not "preach" at anybody - tho how I wanted to. One cousin had just told me she's diabetic (with a host of other health problems) and she was drinking a full-sugar soft drink!

JEY100
Thu, Jul-24-14, 04:45
Bonnie, the blog posts somewhat follow the lectures and have the advantage that you can see the slides about the studies better than on the videos.
The Hormonal Obesity series, now at part 22, started here:
http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/historic-perspective-obesity-hormonal-obesity-1/

You had more restraint than I would have. If there is only one thing a diabetic should not do on any plan, even ADAs, it is not drink Sugared Soda.

Bonnie OFS
Thu, Jul-24-14, 11:59
Thanks for the link, Janet, I've started reading it.

I'm noticing that I'm hungrier sooner after eating. I think it's a result of simply eating more food while visiting. I'm not quite back to where I was before LC - I could barely make it to the 4 hours Dr. B recommends! But it's still uncomfortable. This experience has me looking more closely at portion size as well as what foods I eat.

After reading more about the vinegar helping I've changed from taking a tablespoon with my supper to taking a teaspoon with each meal. Hope it will help with the hunger! :help:

JEY100
Fri, Jul-25-14, 02:30
I've been a caffeine addict since my teens, so coffee and tea helps me on the fast day. And the fast researcher, Dr Varady, talks about hot drinks having the effect of a "hot meal".

In addition to vinegar, have you (or anyone) ever tried fiber supplements with the specific goal of reducing blood sugar?
Dr. Mark Hyman recommended a PGX supplement, made of Konjac/glucammamin fiber, before meals. I bought a bottle after his blood sugar book came out 2 years ago, but in the dose suggested, it blocked me up (sorry TMI) I occasionally now take one cap with the vinegar, but that is likely useless small 1/4 dose.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any type of fiber (as Dr Fung would suggest fiber is protective of the BG/insulin response?)

I think just the no snacking rule is helping me too. Have 2-3 bigger meals and nothing but liquid in between, every day.

Bonnie OFS
Fri, Jul-25-14, 08:17
Dr. Mark Hyman recommended a PGX supplement, made of Konjac/glucammamin fiber, before meals. I bought a bottle after his blood sugar book came out 2 years ago, but in the dose suggested, it blocked me up (sorry TMI) I occasionally now take one cap with the vinegar, but that is likely useless small 1/4 dose.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any type of fiber (as Dr Fung would suggest fiber is protective of the BG/insulin response?)

I think just the no snacking rule is helping me too. Have 2-3 bigger meals and nothing but liquid in between, every day.

I've been taking 1/2 teaspoon of the glucomannan every morning for over a month now. I haven't noticed any improvement in my BG, but my husband (who takes the same amount) found it helpful for his chronic constipation (tmi here too! :p ). I'm the opposite, so I found that more than 1/2 teaspoon gave me the runs.

I've decided to give it a longer trial, along with the vinegar, to see if they help. Tho as I keep trying to improve my WOE, so I don't know how I'll really know if they help.

Because Dr. B strongly recommends at least 4 hours between meals, that pretty much eliminates snacks. That, so far, is one of the best things I've done for my BG.

There was a thread somewhere about drinking a lot of water between meals. I've been doing that & have found it helpful.

Squarecube
Wed, Sep-03-14, 16:56
Bonnie, the blog posts somewhat follow the lectures and have the advantage that you can see the slides about the studies better than on the videos.
The Hormonal Obesity series, now at part 22, started here:
http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/historic-perspective-obesity-hormonal-obesity-1/

You had more restraint than I would have. If there is only one thing a diabetic should not do on any plan, even ADAs, it is not drink Sugared Soda.

Thanks for posting this. I've almost given up with the lowering my fasting BG. No carbs is 1/2 the story, Fungs lecture is great.