PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Juvenal
Mon, Jul-14-14, 12:16
Howdy. Been doing Atkins for 6.5 weeks now.

I started out May 30 at 246 lbs. Now at 234.

I took a break from the diet during the Independence Day weekend. Very much regretting doing that now.

I feel like my weight-loss progress has been slow, with following induction diet and working out 45 mins. + every day. Maybe my expectations are too high? But like I said, I took time off. On the other hand, I had lost only 7 lbs. prior to that weekend.

I had to have blood work done for insurance this morning, and the results were TERRIBLE: bp, cholesterol, triglyceride, everything was bad, with glucose on the high end of normal after fasting 13 hrs. When I told my wife about these results, she was compassionate about it, but I'm afraid convincing her about low-carb diets will now be impossible. I suppose I'm no longer convinced myself.

Anyway, just looking to talk to somebody more knowledgeable than I am about these things. This is the first structured diet I've ever attempted, so it may just be lack of experience that's discouraging me.

Thanks.

CMCM
Mon, Jul-14-14, 16:23
Welcome. Perhaps you could do better, but you are still doing OK.

Yep...you learned....cheating hurts your results! I always view a cheat as a number of steps backwards, meaning I have to re-do that loss.

Weight loss is slow, so make peace with that. Ignore anything you read that suggests weight loss can and should be fast. Doesn't happen.

What makes weight loss the fastest it can be is to eat in the best way you can to lose weight (which for those of us here, is low carb). Then keep doing that day after day with no cheating, and you will eventually get to where you want weight wise.

Exercise helps, but probably 85% of your weight loss will be a result of changing how you eat....how you eat every single day, day after day.

Here is the formula: Consistency of eating + enough time = Reaching your goal.

DeannaK
Mon, Jul-14-14, 16:53
Hello and welcome!

Congrats on your losses so far!

Carole gave you some great advice that I certainly will second. Consistency and commitment plus time will get you there. While life, circumstances, emotions and or whatever will periodically show up and perhaps throw you off the wagon, the longer the time is between events is by far the best...actually NEVER being off plan is the most ideal!! This WOE/WOL just isn't conducive to cheats...ever.

My best suggestion as far as the blood work would be to study up on the why's and how's of low carbing. Read Taubes (Why We Get Fat is my favorite), Wheat Belly, Grain Brain and Phinney and Volek. Their explanations and research to me has really put this all in correct perspective. It has helped me immensely to steer clear consistently from anything off plan.

I wish you the best in your journey!
Deanna

Kristine
Tue, Jul-15-14, 03:56
Hi and welcome. :wave:

It sounds like you have it figured out: your expectations sound too high. You have to find an even keel. Accept that it's a long, slow process. It's like paying down a debt. Nothing you can do will get it done in two weeks or even two months, so you may as well take it easy, stick to a plan, and don't stress about it.

I don't know how old you are or what your health is like, but when it comes to cheating, I remind myself that my arthritis doesn't take time off. My gluten intolerance doesn't take time off. If it takes me an entire week to get back to feeling normal, is it worth it for some crappy food that I know will harm me? NO.

Why all the exercise? You can probably achieve the same results in 2 or 3 20-minute strength training sessions per week, and maybe one or two cardio sessions. Don't do it to lose weight. It doesn't work. It just increases your appetite. Do it for the other benefits.

Good luck. :thup:

Just Jo
Tue, Jul-15-14, 05:15
Welcome Juvenal!

What version of Atkins are you doing? If you can post a sample day's worth of eating that would be most helpful. We are all here to help and support you and each other!

Sorry about Mrs. Juvenal not being supportive of a LC WOE. But if you haven't been following the plan at 100% with no cheats, it's hard for the results/benefits of an LC WOE to show themselves.

Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!

KDH
Tue, Jul-15-14, 09:44
I don't think that 6 1/2 weeks, most of it anyway, except when you went off, on ANY diet would have the ability to be seriously detrimental to your health. Although having markers to compare to six months or a year down the road is a good thing. Personally I take most cholesterol numbers with a grain of salt. Elevated cholesterol is a sign of your body trying to heal something, figure out what the problem is, don't try to put out the fire by sending the firetruck home.

What version of Atkins are you following? Educating yourself as to why this works is so crucial to execution. Taubes is excellent, if you are concerned about blood sugar Dr. Bernstein is fantastic, I like Tom Naughton's movies and Jimmy Moore's podcasts. Your body is one big science experiment, it's up to you to figure it out. Although from your stats you have lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks. 2 pounds a week on average is nothing to scoff at.

Juvenal
Thu, Jul-17-14, 11:26
Hello and thanks for everyone's kind replies to my post. Congratulations, as well, on everyone's achievements weight-loss and health-wise.

I made an appointment to see a doctor. I purposely tried to find a low-carb-friendly doctor in my area. The person I spoke to convinced me to see a P.A. regarding my numbers. She confirmed that I'm doing the right things, and that it hasn't really been long enough to see significant results in my blood work yet. She said that the numbers I got at the beginning of this week may represent an improvement over what I was before I started my LC. I'm supposed to go back in October for more blood work and another assessment.

I appreciate everyone's help. It's been a stressful week, but I at least know that I'm on the right track.

Thanks,

Brian

Just Jo
Fri, Jul-18-14, 05:57
Oh you will have to let us know how the October visit goes and report back your numbers to us... Seriously, Brian, this WOE really does improve a lot of damage that a "normal" carb filled diet causes to our health and self-esteem.

:cheer: I'm over here cheering you onward and DOWNWARD!!