PDA

View Full Version : Back Again - Hoping This Time I Stick To It

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LoriJ1782
Mon, Jul-07-14, 19:59
Hi everyone!

My name is Lori and I'm back after a year having gained 8 lbs :/. I'm determined to lose this weight and take my body back!

I have trouble with willpower and often cave with high carb junk food. I know I can stick to the plan because I once lost 100 lbs. It's hard but I really want to make it work this time.

I definitely need support and I know I'll find it here! It's good to be back!

Jamackarch
Tue, Jul-08-14, 00:33
Hi Lori! Welcome (back) :)

I'm only a couple weeks in... but I'm sure we're both in the right place! The science is going main stream and LCHF is the answer we've all been looking for !

Yay you!

Julie

JEY100
Tue, Jul-08-14, 04:36
Welcome back Julie!!
I remember you from your various "Restarting" posts going back to 2010. We are all here to help and support you and want you to be successful this time. Please do not read this as being harsh, only said with support and concern, but right from the title of this post there may be a problem, again. You are only "hoping" to stick with it and only "this time". Atkins is not a diet you can go on and off. From your own personal weight history back to 2000 you must accept High-carb junk food is poison to you and LC has to be a permanent lifestyle. I think reading of your struggles before I have suggested OA, or finding a low carb doctor or hospital based program, making sure all your family and friends provide the supportive environment you need at this time.

Most people have one trigger that makes them commit to eating LC to first lose weight and then maintain the loss forever. Maybe a diabetes diagnosis, maybe sky-high triglycerides, maybe the death of a parent from diet-related disease. Is there something this time to change your view that LC is "hard" into LC is an elegant and nourishing way to eat? Change only "Hope to" into "I WILL lose the weight? Please I am not asking these questions to be harsh, but truly want you to think about what you are going to change this time to be successful for the rest of your life. We know you can!
:bhug: Julie

DeannaK
Tue, Jul-08-14, 05:41
Hi Julie - and welcome! (again!!)

We all have the same struggles and Janet has some very good, wise words of wisdom for you. I had just posted moments before reading this post, some words of my own. Perhaps they will help you.

We all only have each other's best in mind...words here are never meant to be mean. We want each other to succeed. I agree with Janet's observation that your opening seems a bit defeatist and deflating..as if you've lost before you get started. I hope that isn't in the least true.

Losing weight is way more than choosing the right plan, the right food and the having commitment. It also needs the right knowledge and even more so, the most successful (or so it seems to me) are those who have made a huge change in their mind...it comes from within. We have to change our minds before we can effect change on our health and bodies.

The cravings will go away...there are plenty of things that can be eaten to overcome them. White knuckling though them is sometimes the only way. But truly, there is no need to really suffer. Find things that can make you happy to eat while getting through this first, and sometimes most difficult, part.

I wish you nothing but success!!
Deanna

LoriJ1782
Tue, Jul-08-14, 06:42
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! You are right, hoping isn't the right mindset. I WILL succeed from here on out! I made it through my first day which is important so I know I can do it. I am close to being prediabetic and my cholesterol is a tad high so I definitely need to stick with it for health reasons not just my looks. I can do it!

zoogirl
Tue, Jul-08-14, 13:22
Hi Lori, I'm new to this forum, but so far lovin' it. I just wanted to drop by and offer my support. You are right getting the first day behind you is a positive, one day at a time.

zoogirl
Tue, Jul-08-14, 13:24
PS you only gained 8 pounds, I can do that before lunch....you made the first step, getting back here, good luck.

Souljacker
Tue, Jul-08-14, 14:36
Welcome back - you aren't the only one struggling with the lifestyle. I had great success when I took it very seriously, and then I failed a relationship and gave up on life again. Gained most of the weight back and now have found it really hard to get back on track. I wish both of us good luck!

LoriJ1782
Wed, Jul-09-14, 06:22
Thanks guys! I made it through day 2! 3 lbs down! Staying away from the scale for a week so I don't get discouraged, that's a big problem for me. It is really hard to get started again but I know it will get easier! I have to remember this is a permanent lifestyle change not a quick fix and get back to my mindset of 2004 which was that this is for life. I can do this and so can you! Best of luck to us!

zoogirl
Wed, Jul-09-14, 08:16
OMG Lori, that is just super news, good luck to you, stay strong, I'm with you on the scale thing, I just can't seem to stay off it... we are here for you, Donna Lee

JEY100
Wed, Jul-09-14, 08:45
Great news, Lori!!

One of the most often mentioned problems listed by the low-carb doctors for patients who are doing "low-carb the second time around" is not re-reading ALL the rules, thinking they already "know" everything there is to know about low carb and being sloppy with counting, food lists, remembering to get Enough Salt! to avoid the low carb flu", etc. I love Dr. Eades review of all his tips for starting or re-starting low carb, it will give you many ideas. Twelve articles in here, all with great comments too.

Dr. Mike's Tips: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/help-low-carb-dieters/

Also suggest you go back to the Newbie Forum, re-read those tips and some of the threads. Do you remember or have any notes about what you ate when you lost 100 pounds? When I look at mine it is obvious I ate fewer carbs and calories, either because ketosis was brand new to me and I wasn't hungry, or I was obsessed with doing it "perfectly", whatever…another idea to help you get in the right mindset. And re-join the TDC weekly weigh-in or other buddy groups to keep you on track.