PDA

View Full Version : Nashville, TN and need some advice!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HopeGirl17
Tue, Jun-10-14, 20:47
I will be 42 in August. It is hard for me to lose weight because of my addiction to junk food, sugar, breads, pastas. When I give it up, I literally feel like I want to die if I can't have it. Not physically but emotionally. I do want to lose weight and regain some health. I want the last half of my life to be better and not obsessive with food as I was in the first half! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Elizellen
Wed, Jun-11-14, 04:53
Welcome to the board, HopeGirl! :wave:

A lot of us found that once we had got through the first week or so of Atkins induction we found it easier to resist our former favourites.

Maybe if you plan to have lots of "allowed" foods handy ready to grab if any cravings for sugar/bead/pasta etc arise it will help you through.

I found being able to eat a nice pork chop or chicken thigh with the crispy skin on it or a chunk of creamy ripe brie helped get my mind off bread etc at the start.

khrussva
Wed, Jun-11-14, 06:56
Welcome! A lot of people here have walked in your shoes. Junk food was a daily affair in my life I didn't think I could ever give it up. But you will be surprised to find out what a month or two of sticking to a low carb program will do. For me, by month 2 the cravings were gone and by month 3 I hardly missed my old junk food favorites. I'm in my 5th month now and junk food is around me at the office, at home, and everywhere in between -- and I don't even consider cheating anymore. The hardest part is getting started and sticking through the first few weeks. After that, it gets a lot better. I'm even getting to the point where I say to myself "Why would I even eat that stuff?". Believe me, that is a very foreign thought rolling around in my head. Junk food and me were the best of buds for many, many years.

You can do it. Just take it one day at a time. If you need help, feel free to ask questions. There are lots of people here who would be happy to help.