PDA

View Full Version : Coming back but without "counting"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cthebird
Wed, May-21-14, 10:08
I did a low carb/low fat diet prescribed by a dietitian maybe 2 years ago. I continued that for about 6-7 months until I reached the normal BMI range (154 in my case). I was so tired of the diet that I couldn't take it any more, so stopped. Over time (and maybe with the help of one of my medications) I gain 13 lbs back. Then with portion control I lost 11 lbs. I'm again about 3 lbs up, which isn't horrible BUT I recently had my blood work done and my triglycerides, cholesterol, and glucose are all slightly high. I'm worried about this because there are related health issues in my family.

My general practitioner told me to lower my carbs again and be aware of my sugar intake. I'm going to do that. But I find it easier to lower the simple sugar intake than carbs since I LOVE starchy stuff, cereal, etc. [My nemesis are pastries and pastry like things.] I bought a box of Atkins bars for snack/lunch/breakfast (not all 3 in the same day, of course), but I'm having trouble getting started (in my mind).

I'm not interested in a serious low carb diet plan where I have to count carbs, calories, fat, etc. I just want to be making much better choices that I think will eventually help me take off perhaps 10 lbs and lower my test results. I'm in a place where I want to learn how to eat "lowER carb" and "lowER sugar" and be able to maintain it. Of course if future test show little change I'll have to step up the game.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-21-14, 10:10
Most serious low carb diet plans don't count calories. Whether or not you track, you can still eat low carb.

If I were you, I'd read "Wheat Belly". It might help you with some of those blood test results.

Welcome!

Seejay
Wed, May-21-14, 11:16
I wonder if you would like Richard's "5 Rules of Leptin." you can google it. He has a visual way of doing portions. And the emphasis on meals without snacks helps you learn to eat lowER carb because your energy is evened out.

The Five Rules of the The Leptin Diet:
Rule 1: Never eat after dinner.
Rule 2: Eat three meals a day.
Rule 3: Do not eat large meals.
Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein.
Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten.

... If you are trying to lose weight an easy way to do this is what I call the 50/50 technique. Look at the food on your plate. You want to see a palm-size portion of protein (a 4-6 ounce portion for women; 6-8 ounce portion for men). And then you want to see a palm size amount of the carbohydrates, a 50/50 visual. This way there is no calorie counting. Compare the protein (chicken, meat, turkey, eggs) to the carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit, corn, squash, etc,). Fill up on fiber rich vegetables as desired.

Cthebird
Thu, May-22-14, 06:45
Thank you, Seejay. Those sound like good tips.