PDA

View Full Version : LCHF beginner

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

weighttogo
Tue, May-13-14, 15:39
Hello everyone,
Just a short ok not so short post to say Hi and get some advice { I will be doing that a lot might as well get started :) } . I have been very overweight for many years now. I was fit muscular and sporty at school /Uni {rugby, martial arts, discus, javelin and shot-put} , as soon as I started working my sporting activities took a dive and my eating began in earnest. I went up to 25st , met my then future wife and lost 10st , put most of it back on over the next few years , lost it again when my daughter { now 19 ] was born and slowly pilled it all back on again.

I have tried many diets over the years since with little success. I am lucky that I have no diabetes, blood pressure, high cholesterol etc , probably helped a bit by being a non-smoker and possibly the only teetotal man ever in my family :) . I do have a destroyed knee that I first injured playing rugby, it is now damaged so badly that it will need to be replaced. Not surprisingly I am too fat for them to consider surgery and strangely enough at 49 I am too young { I don’t here that very often these days }

Reading up on the available data LCHF looks to be promising I have been on it for about a month now eating a max of 20g carbs a day. I typically eat 2 meals a day example menu below.

AM: 3 eggs + 40g butter
PM: 2 cans Tuna in brine , 300g Cauliflower , 30g butter , 40g strong cheese
Semi-skimmed milk 100mls per day {for tea}, some pickled onions for snack

The calorie count is around 1400cals per day. Although I have managed to lose weight and stick to the diet I am finding it very difficult. This balance is around 5% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. I can’t honestly say I feel full or any different to any other diet. I would be very grateful if you could give me suggestions {more fat, less fat, less calories etc} where I am going wrong. Obviously, I have a lot of weight to lose and I would like to get the eating planned out as best I can. I will be looking into the 100lb forum.Thanks for taking the time to read my post
Cheers
J

khrussva
Tue, May-13-14, 21:03
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you are off to a great start already. Bummer about you knee. Sounds like a challange. Hopefully taking some weight off will help until you can get the replacement.

I too was an athlete in my younger years -- wrestling and American football in high school and college. But when the sports were traded for an office job - my bad eating habits caught up with me and I've yo-yoed steadily upward for the past 25 years. In fact you were at a much better starting point than I. All I can say is that it it quite depressing to go from being active to turning into a couch potato.

I've lost a lot of weight in the past by low carb "dieting" and then returning to the food that made me fat, gained it all back and more. This time around, I've decided this is a perminant change. That is the key for me. I don't bother counting calories -- I just don't cheat, ever. As long as I stick to low carb food, I eat until I am content and the weight has just been falling off. At my weight, keeping carbs < 30 works fine. Later, I'll probably have cut that some to keep losing. Your menu sound like you are well under that. Just be sure to get enough protein and fat... that will curb your hunger and maintain your muscle mass.

Good luck and do use this website. It is a great resource.

weighttogo
Tue, May-13-14, 23:27
Thanks for the support, you are spot on I am trying to get to grips with this not being a diet but a new way to eat for the rest of my life. You are off to a great start I wish you well for the rest of your journey