PDA

View Full Version : Gotta do this.....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

msnataliea
Sat, May-10-14, 11:00
Hello All! Wow, so happy to have found this forum! So many awesome people on here! I'm starting South Beach and have already found a lot of awesome info on here! I'm so beyond tired of looking and feeling this way. About two months ago, I visited my family out of state and was so depressed and hiding a really bad time in my life that I ate like crazy and got hurt (rolled my ankle REALLY bad playing on the ice). I came home a couple pounds heavier (as expected) and then sat on my rear waiting for my foot to heal. Overall I have now gained a solid 11 pounds and it feels like 50. For the first time in my overweight lift, I actually feel and look like my weight. I'm very short (5' 3") and very petite (used to wear a size 3-5). Over the last 11 year I've gained weight quickly and substantially. The problem was, I never felt big. So I didn't feel the consequences of my actions... anyone else know what I mean there? I never felt fat. Period. When I saw myself in the mirror it just did not match how I FELT. Maybe I still imagined myself as the little cutie I used to be. Now. Oh now. Now, I feel huge. That 11 pounds just really changed everything. I tried going raw vegan. Fail. Epic fail. My house is full of fruit. I've done South Beach before, for 2 weeks, and I was very successful with it. I want to actually commit to it this time. I want to heal myself. I want to be able to play with my beautiful daughter. I want to REALLY be attractive for my husband (so he doesn't have to lie). I want to be able to buy clothes without crying. I want to be able to FIND clothes in my size! I really want to have another baby, but going thru my first pregnancy overweight was terrible (buy clothes and dealing with the constant judgment from the doctors, pregnancy was AMAZING). I am fixing to turn 30 and I really wanted to have my child bearing behind me already. I have all this failure in my face and I want it gone. I want to be successful for once. I hope by joining this forum, that I find encouragement and help and friendship. I am in desperate need of all of them!!!!!!!!! So Hello! :wave:

khrussva
Sat, May-10-14, 21:06
Hello and welcome.

I hear you about the "not feeling the consequences of your weight" comment. When you are young and strong, the limitations and issues with getting ever heavier creep in so slowly that you hardly notice. The mirror does not lie - but I did a fairly good job of avoiding it. I will tell you this, though... it will eventually catch up with you. When I hit 50 - type 2 diabetes hit me like a rock and my quality of life took a nose dive.

It sounds to me like you are really ready for a change and it is wonderful that you are still young and getting serious about your situation. I wish I had your mindset 20 years ago. If you really want this, you can do it. This site has lots of resources and support to help you along the way. But in the end, you have to do it. Go for it and get where you want to be!

JEY100
Sun, May-11-14, 04:24
As Ken wrote, you sound very committed and have health reasons to stick to it. I don't know much about SOuthBeach, but there is a forum here for members who use it. I do know author now has a gluten- free version. Suggest you read a copy of that and the Wheat Belly book to understand why adding grains back into your diet at any time may derail you. All the best,

msnataliea
Sun, May-11-14, 07:11
Hello and welcome.

I hear you about the "not feeling the consequences of your weight" comment. When you are young and strong, the limitations and issues with getting ever heavier creep in so slowly that you hardly notice. The mirror does not lie - but I did a fairly good job of avoiding it. I will tell you this, though... it will eventually catch up with you. When I hit 50 - type 2 diabetes hit me like a rock and my quality of life took a nose dive.

It sounds to me like you are really ready for a change and it is wonderful that you are still young and getting serious about your situation. I wish I had your mindset 20 years ago. If you really want this, you can do it. This site has lots of resources and support to help you along the way. But in the end, you have to do it. Go for it and get where you want to be!

That's another reason I haven't felt the consequences, my doctors keep telling me that I'm healthy. I laugh at them. Healthy with that bmi? Just because my blood work is great doesn't mean this is healthy. All they say is, "join weight watchers". Wow, thanks doc. I finally have realized, no one else is going to care. It's my job.

msnataliea
Sun, May-11-14, 07:17
As Ken wrote, you sound very committed and have health reasons to stick to it. I don't know much about SOuthBeach, but there is a forum here for members who use it. I do know author now has a gluten- free version. Suggest you read a copy of that and the Wheat Belly book to understand why adding grains back into your diet at any time may derail you. All the best,

I haven't read those books but I am very familiar with what wheat does. It's the GLUE! Yuck. I probably won't ever go completely gluten free, but I do plan on eating as little as possible. Last time I did South Beach, I swear I could smell the yeast in bread from a mile away and the smell made me gag. And of course, I lost 11lbs in 13 days. Why didn't I stay committed then! Grr! (Kicks self in butt) :)

JEY100
Sun, May-11-14, 07:26
There are many reasons to go completely grain-free. Read back on this page a few months, Dr. Davis has summarized the issues in short daily tips:
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly?fref=ts

Bonnie OFS
Sun, May-11-14, 10:07
I haven't read those books but I am very familiar with what wheat does. It's the GLUE!

I think that explains my fondness for the wheat-based paste in first grade. By 2nd grade we'd switched to Elmer's glue - not near as tasty. ;)