PDA

View Full Version : Disabled but doing it without complaint

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Myla
Sat, May-03-14, 18:49
I apologize... this is a long winded intro
I am 44 years old, mother of 3 . I love working out. I'm paralyzed on my left side as a result of a stroke.

I realized that I could transform myself after being told in March 2008 that I am a borderline diabetic.
Here is how I got fat (my own stupidity and compulsive nature)... I bought a gym membership for the first time in my life in August 2007. The gym was just being built. They said it would be opening in October. They made the mistake of telling me they would be doing a before and after picture. I figured I could fatten myself up before the gym opened and have a great before pic, lose the weight and have an even greater after picture. Anyhoo, they kept delaying the opening and by the time they finally opened in April 2008, I was size 16. After being told that 'maybe' if I lost 20 lbs I could avoid becoming a diabetic.

I worked out hard for my health and by October of that same year I was down to a size 2. That was the really cool side affect that I did not take into consideration that a fit body would be a result. Funny, I did not see my body transformation until one day, I tried on a pair of pants while doing my kid's laundry. I tried on a pair of pants... but I thought damn my 18 year old daughter's pants fit so nice but too short. Heehee because they were my 8 year old son's!!!

Unfortunately, my genes dictated that I was to be a type 1.5 diabetic regardless. This meant I needed to be on insulin for the rest of my life (my pancreas decided to stop producing insulin). The doctors put me on a new diet to control my Blood sugars and I gained about 30lbs from the new dietary requirements. Well I did not like this at all.

I started to work harder again in the gym and am still fighting my way back to the lower body fat percentage ad weight. Weight wise I am only 4 lbs away from my high school weight.
I train about 6-7 days a week, I find it very difficult to take a day off.
My training is an intense circuit training lasting about 1.75-3.5 hours depending on the day. I incorporate super sets, static holds and compound training in the circuit.

So today I want to prove to myself that I can do more, I want to go to the next level.
I know there is wheelchair body building. I have been in contact with many people in the BB world to see where someone like me can compete.

I am looking for other competitors or serious BB athletes with a similar limitation to connect with.
In the mean time, I am training to train.

A trainer and bodybuilding.com member said to me last week at our gym "I don't think you can do this" WELL that was a good enough reason to try.

My full story is here http://westgtastroke.ca/resources/stories/ many triumphs ago.

Any one out there like me?
Please add me to facebook "Myla Brugmans"

Mama Sebo
Sun, May-04-14, 03:31
You certainly have a very inspiring story Myla! I am not in the same boat as you, but wish you all the very best in finding folks to share the issues of wheelchair bodybuilding etc. I will look forward to following whatever you chose to share here on the forum!

Myla
Sun, May-04-14, 09:03
Thank you so much! I am not the excuses type of girl. So I'm involved with a lot of in person groups where I can share my story.

Mama Sebo
Sun, May-04-14, 09:12
Just read your wonderful story on the stroke resources page you shared -- WOW!! Yes, I too can do whatever I am determined to do! And so many more stories there, I will continue to read for inspiration! Thanks!

Myla
Sun, May-04-14, 20:34
Most people do not realize that the first and most important thing is just simply believing "it" can be done.

Mama Sebo
Sun, May-04-14, 21:35
Most people do not realize that the first and most important thing is just simply believing "it" can be done.

Too true!........

Myla
Sun, May-04-14, 22:00
bed time for me, up in 5 hours to get my me time in :)