PDA

View Full Version : Help !

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pw64k
Wed, May-29-02, 05:32
Hi All I've just started the Atkins Diet, but I'm finding it very hard to decide "what to eat" and "what not to" I'm not sure what to look for on food lables, I'm not much of a cook (nor is my Wife) and most of the very good recipes on this site seem a bit over my head, half the things in them I've never heard of, what I really need is some simple dishes just to get me on my way. Please help.

disneybebe
Wed, May-29-02, 05:39
Hiya,

How about roast chicken, roast pork, roast beef, pan-fried porkchops, steaks........

Don't forget your veggies ;)

Good luck!!

regards,
Bebe :wave:

tink
Wed, May-29-02, 12:19
fry ups, fish in creamy cheese sauce, bbq things....the list is endless ...

I found I was doing more "real" cooking when I started, simple things like cooking my veggies, putting fish on top and adding a bit of cream and cheese, then grilling, not too difficult and delicious.

and like disneybebe says...don't forget the veggies and salads too....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Boogie65
Wed, May-29-02, 14:50
Hi pw64k

Have you checked out the thread on "Where to buy LC Foods in UK supermarkets"?

If you're not much of a cook there's quite a few ready meal suggestions on there - not the cheapest option but it might help you out a bit.

Food labels: obviously check the carbohydrate count - I guess you're having 20gms per day if you've just started but you should be getting most of those from veggies and salad.

If there's no nutritional info declared, check the ingredients for sugar in any form, e.g. sucrose, fructose, dextrose etc. but also flour, syrups etc. If in doubt, post a query on the board and I'm someone will be able to help.

Good luck :wave:
Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk

fiona
Wed, May-29-02, 14:57
Omelettes are simple enough. Beat up with a fork 2 eggs per person with salt and pepper and add Mushrooms/ Spinnach / left over chicken / prawns etc etc. and your favourite herbs and spices. A little oil in a frying pan and when it is hot add the mixture.

I find steaks are great. Chicken breast/Beef/Ham - just a little salt and black pepper and shallow fry slowly.

Take care.

LittleAnne
Thu, May-30-02, 02:31
Egg and bacon for breakfast, thats what I love at the weekend when I'm at home. Beware sausages - many are high carb as have a lot of filler in them. Check the labels carefully you can get them at 2 g carbs or less per sausage.

I tend to have my food quite plain. Either fry, bake or microwave. Lots of salmon, any fish will do, chicken, duck, pork chops, steak.

Now enjoy salad as can have lots of mayonnaise with it. Chicken or tuna are my favourites.

Veggies like mushrooms and brocolli are great. You can add butter to them to. Steer clear of sweetcorn, peas and carrots for now. Baby corn is fine though, because the sugar has not developed yet.

Tip: have a look in peoples journals to see what they eat to give you some ideas.

Every success and enjoy this way of eating. I certainly do and am now 10 months into this way of life.

juicyjacki
Mon, Jun-03-02, 17:48
one of my favorite dinners ....

Cook any vegs you like, i use a mix of cauliflower & broccoli. Once cooked, drain and will draing put the empty pan back on the heat put in a little cream, not much maybe a 1/4 of a small tub and then add a tonne of your favorite grated cheese and keep stirring. Cover the vegs with the sauce and Voila - lazy mans cauliflower cheese!

If you a curry person like me, and are lazy like me, i also enjoy Somerfield Chicken Korma, only 7.9 carbs per pack and it tastes like a takeaway. Look in their fresh counter