PDA

View Full Version : Back on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimmers39
Tue, Mar-25-14, 04:17
Previously lost 40+ lbs on Atkins, unfortunately due to illness, some of it was lost too fast, and I ended up not going up the steps/phases properly and basically fell off the wagon since I needed to put some weight back on ASAP. I have started at induction again, fully intending to only stay in it for 2 weeks before moving up to OWL. So far I have found some amazing recipes that I can't wait to try so I guess I'm here to stay after lurking a couple of days :)
Basically, I am 44, mom of 2 girls (18 and 12), love my dogs, camping, actually like my work (altho I would rather hit the lottery) and am engaged to a great guy who eventually I will move forward with.
My children support me (my oldest actually bought me an Atkins cookbook for my birthday :))
My fiance, not so much. Not only does he LOVE breads, potatoes, rice, and sweets ( I keep telling him he will be diabetic some day if he keeps it up ), he can't help but feel that my last round with Atkins led to my illness. I had recently started working with adult MRDD, my daughter spent a day in the ER, and somewhere between the 2 I picked up C-Diff ( I think one of the clients may be a carrier). Because I also have chronic colitis, the c-diff went undiagnosed for almost 2 weeks while I treated for a bad flare up. Then there was 3 weeks of antibiotics. So altho the man who knows in his head that c-diff is a bacterial infection, and in no way related to Atkins, he remembers watching me suffer horribly for 6 weeks with an illness that hospitalizes most, while I went to work everyday.
This time I plan to do it right, I have 2 doctors telling me to follow a low carb lifestyle, and I know how much better I feel without the extra "chub"
Happy Low Carbing to me! :wave:

JEY100
Tue, Mar-25-14, 04:43
Welcome back,
Glad to see you have two doctors suggesting low carb. Did any mention being completely wheat-free too (even minor hidden wheat in processed products) to help with the colitis? Way more powerful than just getting rid of some chub. A friend of mine with it is now fully recovered by following the Wheat Belly advice.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/03/ulcerative-colitis-tamed/
Highly recommend Dr Davis's book, his website and Facebook page http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
Much good info here on this forum, you found a good support group. All the best,

Elizellen
Tue, Mar-25-14, 06:59
Welcome back on the Atkins wagon, Kimmers! :wave:

It is excellent to know you have your children and your doctors supporting your chosen way of eating! :thup:

kimmers39
Tue, Mar-25-14, 07:23
Thanks ladies!
Janet..... kinda familiar with wheat issues and will look more into it once low carbing becomes a way of life. ... Baby steps this time :)
My docs recommending it are my gastro for colitis and my gyn PA for estrogen dominance coupled with adrenal fatigue

kmme
Tue, Mar-25-14, 18:15
Hi Kimmers ( that is one of my nicknames from family..so cool)

Just wanted to say hi , I am new as well , lost 40 pounds previously as well, back again!
You have done it before so you can do it again. It's so nice that your family is supportive it does make a big difference. One day at a time and we will get there!