PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Andy219
Sun, Mar-23-14, 05:08
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Decided to join for some ideas and inspiration. Back in April of 2013 I went to the doctor for a check up which was long over due. And after weighing me and telling me I was 33 years old and 355 pounds. I couldn't believe it. So the Doctor sent me for a bunch of blood work, and on my second visit, informed me my cholesterol was extremely high, my blood pressure was a little high, I was borderline diabetic, and just generally not doing so well.

I knew I wasn't in great shape, I was having issues. Shortness of breath with little exertion, some slight chest pains, sleep apnea, aches and pains, and all that stuff one would generally expect.

Anyway, my Doctor put me on a low carb/higher fat type of regiment. And within 6 months I was down to 301 pounds. I was feeling great, I felt like I was 21 again... I haven't felt that good since I was 21. I had more energy, the aches and pains were gone, it took a bit more exertion before I was short of breath, and no more pains in my chest.

Then I had some money problems, and instead of buying the good food, I resorted back to Ramen Noodles, potatoes, pasta, and anything loaded with carbs. It was temporary, I thought 2-4 weeks and my money situation would get back to normal.

Well the money situation normalized, but I just kept putting off buying "real food". I started doing the fast food for breakfast, and dinner again. It all started in October. Now today I'm up to 325 pounds and generally feel like I did before the journey.

My plan was to star back up tomorrow. But I've been saying I'll start tomorrow for the last 5 months. I'm up nice and early, I found some inspiration, I just emptied out my fridge, and cabinets of all the unfriendly carbs. Then it's time to run to the grocery store. Time for me to get back on track.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for this forum.

I hope to learn and share a lot.

Andy

Mama Sebo
Sun, Mar-23-14, 05:16
Welcome andy! All the best for making it work this time. There are threads here addressing how to stick to healthy eating on a shoestring -- so, if financial woes come your way again you can search them out and find ideas. One thing, many of us can tell you its not quite as easy the second time around, maybe because we're not being as careful, or because we've aged or the body has got our number...but it DOES still work if we eat consciously and well in whatever low-carb plan we've chosen. All the best for these first days!

JEY100
Sun, Mar-23-14, 05:52
Welcome back,
This is a great forum for inspiration. Know that you can get back on track quickly, suggest you read the Newbie Questions forum and start over. Does the plan your doctor gave have clear rules to follow? A strict Atkins induction plan for two weeks or longer helps you get over the carb and sugar cravings quickly. As mama wrote, there are many threads here on budget low carb, no cook low carb, and even the new Atkins book has tips how to eat out at fast foods (not ideal) but if no choice, it can be done (salads, chuck the bun, etc). All the best,

Have to note the book you read is a new one to me, though not the LC author, have seen others of his. Would also recommend you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Knowing the reasons why a LCHF plan works keeps me from wandering back to a diet filled with carbs that make me ill.

Andy219
Sun, Mar-23-14, 08:17
Thanks for the welcomes. I'll have to check that book out. I bought the book I read after seeing my doctor, by accident. I needed a same day appointment, and then after seeing him researched him. And discovered that he was the author of that book. So I made a follow up with him for a physical, and I was really impressed with his whole outlook. He just moved to my small town.

And I agree, carbs make me generally ill. Hopefully the budget issues are through, I went through a suspension at work. But I'm back now and catching up. But I'll be checking low carb on a budget. Thanks again.