PDA

View Full Version : Saying hello and looking for help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CTurcotte
Mon, Mar-10-14, 04:54
Hello folks!

My name is Cynthia and I am starting Atkins after several failed attempts over the past several years. I'm at the point where I *have* to make it work this time. I weighed myself this morning so that I'd have my starting weight and was relieved when the scale *only* read 439.5 lbs. RELIEVED. I thought for sure I'd weigh in closer to 500 if not over.

How sad is that?

Anyway, I've got too many health issues tied into my weight to NOT go all in this time. I'm diabetic, have out of control psoriasis, and my knees, hips, and back are so sore all the time. Ugh.

My oldest son is graduating from high school at the end of May and we're taking him to Dragon*Con in Atlanta at the end of August. I'd like to see how much weight I can lose between now and the end of May and then lose that amount again by August. It might be an overly ambitious goal, but there you have it :)

Looking forward to getting to know other folks here on the forums!

Cheers,

Cynthia

JEY100
Mon, Mar-10-14, 05:26
Welcome, Cynthia!
This is a wonderful support forum you have found and everyone will help you. Look around at all the different sub-forums...there is one for diabetes, one for newbies, that has great basic tips at the top. One tip is to know your plan, and since you haven't read any books, at least follow the Atkins Induction list sticky at the top of the the Atkins forum. Though I would suggest you also consider a plan with tight controls on the carbs to help reduce your BG, like Dr Bernstein or Dr. Westman. Please monitor your BG very carefully! the need for meds can change rapidly. Test, test, test.
Read this thread for cautions!! http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693. All the recent threads in this forum will be helpful.
What were your stumbling blocks before on previous attempts? Maybe we can help you overcome them.
All the best,

lausie
Mon, Mar-10-14, 08:18
Hi Cynthia

Congratulations on taking the first step which is quite often the hardest.

As Janet has said, this forum is a GREAT support network - not only filled with fantastic info, but the people here will rush to pick you up when you're having a bad day or struggling to push on so don't be afraid to use it to vent, or ask for help!

Be sure to let us know how you're getting on with a journal or updates!

Judynyc
Mon, Mar-10-14, 10:26
Welcome Cynthia! :wave:

Be sure to find the Triple Digit Club here. Its for those of us who have more than 100 lbs. to lose. We needed our own place. :)

iseeku
Wed, Mar-12-14, 11:57
Hi Cynthia!

I'll be in Florida SOON! Moving to Ft Lauderdale from MT. Have had a majority of my stuff down there at my honey's house - just finalizing everything.

You do have a challenge on your hands - but YOU CAN DO IT! Just set your sites and listen to some of the great advice already given here.

One thing I would suggest to help keep you "on track" is - start a journal here if you haven't already, and track everything that you eat. It serves many purposes as it will help to "keep you on the chain", monitor your eating habits, as well as go back and see what was working and what didn't work.

Also - be sure to hit the recipe section. LOTS of good eats there!

BEST WISHES for you! YOU CAN DO IT!! Pop over to my journal sometime - always happy to help.

JEY100
Thu, Mar-13-14, 07:02
How are you doing Cynthia? Be sure you have enough of all the easy and wonderful low carb foods stocked in your house. Place snack foods that your kids may want out of sight. My DH has a shelf in the pantry for his treats that I just ignore. Let us know your challenges and we may have suggestions.

Neanderpam
Thu, Mar-13-14, 07:29
Welcome Cynthia! I found out eating the low carb way meant that none of my goals were 'overambitious'. Only once did I not achieve a 'mini goal', and that was because I 'slipped' up and thought I could eat whatever I wanted to on a three day vacation. :) I did, however, learn my lesson.

I lost the weight while working at a bakery (ex pastry chef here, only stopped because I became disabled). I thought it was all about 'will power' or 'won't power'..but it became all about 'putting my needs first'.

I wish you a lifetime of success.

CTurcotte
Thu, Mar-13-14, 09:22
How are you doing Cynthia? Be sure you have enough of all the easy and wonderful low carb foods stocked in your house. Place snack foods that your kids may want out of sight. My DH has a shelf in the pantry for his treats that I just ignore. Let us know your challenges and we may have suggestions.

It's going pretty well so far. I'm on day 4 and I'm already down 6.7 lbs (and that's considering that I had my 'last hurrah' meal on Day 1). It's too small of a loss for me to *feel* any different, but seeing the weight go down - even a little bit - each day is encouraging.

My husband is being very supportive, which helps a LOT. He doesn't mind the extra grocery $$ going to my low carb meals, though my ultimate goal is to eventually be able to fix one meal for the whole family and just sub extra veggies or protein for the starch (for me).

My biggest problem right now is fatigue. I guess because my body is so used to using carbs for energy. Usually by around 2 or 3pm, I get so tired. And headache-y. I just keep telling myself that it will pass.

JEY100
Thu, Mar-13-14, 10:49
That's great you are doing well and DH is so supportive.
Are you getting enough salt? See here how important it is to avoid the "LC flu" http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8626210#post8626210
New Atkins suggest a cup of salted broth every morning and afternoon.
Also keep up the water, lots and eat enough fat, to minimize any side effects. Please read Newbie tips to find more good tips.

DeannaK
Thu, Mar-13-14, 12:14
Hi Cynthia - and welcome!!

I second the broth idea...it not only helps you feel better but it can keep hunger at bay as well.

My mid afternoon treat is broth with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, a steaming hot cup of coffee with HWC or a tall iced coffee. I recently bought a small bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee in the "glazed chocolate donut" flavor...OH MY... that's a treat too!

Like Janet, my DH and dog pretty much own the pantry. I never open it unless I need an onion!! I just ignore the door.

Best wishes to you -
Deanna

erinleigh
Thu, Mar-13-14, 12:31
CONGRATS ON STARTING THIS JOURNEY!!! :)

This place is amazing! I've been here for almost 10 years and every time I fail or need to restart or keep going this is where I come!

Best support!