PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allie38
Sat, Nov-16-13, 12:05
:wave: I just joined Low-Carber. I've been on a high fat, low carb diet for a few months now and am really feeling good about my progress. Only complaint is I have to cook so much--no throwing a frozen into the microwave after work. But it's worth it, as I am healthier and down a dress size. I think I can stay with it for life--never would happen with a low calorie diet.

Still, my weight loss has slowed. I have read that reducing dairy products and nuts will help, but cheese and nuts are my go-to snacks. Any suggestions for easy substitutions would be most welcome.

I am so glad to find a low carb site with active members.

TwentyFour
Sat, Nov-16-13, 18:38
I'm glad you've been feeling good :) . Lucky me, my parents pretty much cook all my food :D , but at least you know everything that's in your food, right? Just because your weight loss slowed, it doesn't mean it's the nuts causing it. Weight loss does tend to slow eventually as you have less to lose, so that doesn't mean that the nuts and cheese are definitely the cause. Though you could try eliminating the cheese then the nuts for a while, or vice versa to be sure. If it is the cause, there's more low carb choices other than nuts and cheese you could try. For me, I try to stick to real foods, like meat, fish, and vegetables. I think it's great that you take the time to cook your food instead of relying on foods like Atkins bars and such. I hope you weight loss picks back up. Bye!

FaithLeigh
Sun, Nov-17-13, 06:56
Hi Allie38 and welcome to the boards. :wave:

Are you following any particular plan (ie, Atkins, protein power, south beach diet, Dr. Bernstein, Judd, etc)? I've always thought it to be a good idea to have a plan in writing to refer back to in case I have any questions.

I highly recommend starting a journal. A journal can be a great tool for looking back at your accomplishments during your weight loss journey and can give motivation to yourself, as well as others. It can also be used to assist if you come to any stalls and such.

I look forward to reading your future posts.

Happy LCing.

allie38
Mon, Nov-18-13, 12:26
Hi TwentyFour and FaithLeigh,
I'm not really on a particular plan. I am familiar with Atkins and the South Beach diet. I just try to keep my cars around 30. I first went on a low carb diet when I was 13 --aprox. fifty years ago. (I think I was my mother's guinea pig for what seemed like a very strange diet at the time.) I swallowed safflower oil capsules and kept my carbs (total, not net) under 40. I did lose weight. These days, I am more informed by some of the blogs and current research on low carb high fat diets. And I have to say, as a biologist, this way of eating makes perfect, evolutionary sense to me.

I did keep careful count of carbs for the first couple of months. I pretty much know what I can eat. I think I really am just impatient. TwentyFour--you are lucky you don't have to cook. For me, one of the keys to being content on this plan is not feeling deprived. Thus I make use of a number of recipes using coconut, almond flours, or low carb baking mixes. Then, I can occasionally have a BLT or a sausage/biscuit sandwich.

Fat bombs or Fat coffee have been recommended to me. The good news is I was down another inch off my waist this morning. Good luck to both of you with your LC lifestyle.

kjs1775
Mon, Nov-18-13, 13:46
Hi and Welcome Allie!!

Congrats on your loss! I think you will love this forum!! I have found buckets of advice and knowledge in the short time I've been on here. I too hear certain foods (quality vs. quantity) can cause weight loss to slow. There are plenty of posts on here addressing peoples experiences and issues. Good Luck and keep up the fabulous work!!