PDA

View Full Version : New here... incredible success / painful progress

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

papa deuce
Sat, Nov-09-13, 23:06
Hi,

I don't think I have posted about myself here yet.

I am a 51 year old man who had a MASSIVE heart attack in 2007 - 6 artery bypass. At that time I was told that I had diabetes. Over the years between 2007 and 2013, I basically did nothing to help either of those situations. In late May of 2013, I decided to take control.

My highest weight ever was 326 pounds... and this was after my heart attack. I got my weight down to the mid 270's on calorie reduction and some exercise. In May of 2013 I had a physical, and boy were the "numbers" bad especially the diabetic numbers.

At that point I switched to eating WHAT I CALL "very low carbs" - 35 or less a day. You might not call that very low carbs, but I do.

In any case after only 6 weeks of low carb eating, I had my blood checked again - and yes, I know that to see the best results of the test, you need 3 months. But I did it anyway, and my results were simply MIND BLOWING to me.

In 6 weeks, I only lost about 5 pounds.... BTW, I log my food and weigh it... or at least I was logging it until October.

My results went along these lines.... I don't remember them 100%, but here goes:

A1C went from 10.1 to 7.4 in 6 weeks
Triglycerides dropped by 30% in 6 weeks
Blood Pressure went from 130 / 84 to 118 / 72... in 6 weeks
Pulse dropped 8 BPM... in 6 weeks
total cholesterol stayed about the same, but ratios improved a little... in 6 weeks

Now Blood Sugar was the STUNNING one.... I went from high 200's down to 118 in 6 weeks!!!! :thup:

So, I should be thrilled, right? I was.

But from the beginning of August until October, I stayed 100% on plan, and GAINED 10 pounds, even though I was weighing foods and counting my carbs. I was staying off the scale on purpose, as I am a scale - aholic. So I was shocked to see I had gained 10 pounds.

That depressed me, and I had some slips since then, but even at that, I still was eating less than 100 carbs a day, and not even every day. Most days I was still at my 35 or less carbs. And even with the slips, I have not gained any more weight back.

So, that is my story. I am still eating LC because it has been so awesome for my diabetes. I have had so many positive results from eating LC:

1. My feet are no longer all cracked and painful
2. I no longer have highs and lows
3. No more nighttime sweats

Plus of course, everything I mentioned above.

I was doing a fair amount of exercise until early September. I hurt my back and it still REALLY HURTS on many days, too much to exercise. I have been to the doctor and had massages... I have been on pills to relax my muscles, I have had heat therapy.... nothing seems to knock it out. In fact, nobody knows what "it" is. Some days I have almost zero pain, but on some days I have tremendous pain. So I have been in pain most of the last 2 months.

I don't want to go to a chiropractor. I am considering and investigating acupuncture.

Anyway, somehow, some way, I need to get back to losing weight. I never experienced that dramatic weight loss that so many people do when I started LC.... however, that is likely because my water weight was long gone from the weight I had already lost. I lst most of my weight not eating LC, but as I said, I had HORRIFIC blood numbers prior to switching to LC.

BTW, I have another blood workup scheduled for January.

JEY100
Sun, Nov-10-13, 05:39
Welcome papa!
Congrats on sticking with LC to improve your health.

Read back through threads in the Diabetes forum. There are a number of resources linked In recent posts that may help you. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
You may enjoy reading the Diabetes-Warrior blog or the large site
Nutrition and Metabolism Society.

Dr Bernstein and Dr Westman's plans are used by many to help control blood sugar, but as you are aware, they are 36g and 20g of carbs, a level some insulin resistant people need for better control. Have you tried a lower carb program for a while to see what happens with weight and blood tests? In addition to BG control, some people need a lower level of carbs to lose weight and even to maintain. So read around the various newbie and Atkins forums to see if there are tips that may help you adjust your eating plan. With two months to the next Bloodwork, you might consider following a plan exactly until then just to see what impact it would have on your numbers.

Btw, I have seen chiropractors in a number of US locations and a few times have found one trained in both Easterm and Western medicine, e.g. Both a graduate of chiropractic school and a Chinese Accupuncture school. They use whatever combo of techniques would help your issue. Also, Jimmy Moore recently had an interview on back pain. http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2013/09/44-dr-paul-ralston-low-carb-diets-spinal-pain/

FaithLeigh
Sun, Nov-10-13, 05:55
Hi, Papa_deuce :wave: and welcome to the forums!

First off, I LOVE your signature! (I have ONE GOAL: To be a great role model for my daughters.)

Congrats on the current weight loss and wonderful blood test stats! PROOF that LCing does indeed work!

How unfortunate that you hurt your back :( . I have a chronic pain disease and know how difficult it is to exercise on those high pain days. It is on these days that I attempt to the best of my ability to do stretches. There are some weeks that I am in constant pain and the stretches are the only exercise I get, as well as the only pain relief I get, other than the narcotics that I take when the pain is unbearable. Have you looked into, or asked your physician, about stretches that may help? With the above said, I do try to walk / exercise on days that I am not in pain. Do you think you could add that in?

I have also found that once I have had a big weight loss, as you have had, I needed to start counting calories. I know this isn't part of most LC plans; however, it has indeed helped quite a few people out once they get to a certain point in their LC weight loss journey. I currently use http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/ to determine the calories needed. I do not beat myself up about it if I go a bit over or under, as to I used it as a guide, not a rule.

I look forward to reading your future posts! I wish you continued luck on your LC journey.

papa deuce
Sun, Nov-10-13, 07:27
Thank you, both.

No, Jey, I have not really considered going even lower because I absolutely know myself. If I go lower I will HATE LC, and I will want to give it up enough so much that I likely would stop LC, and lose the gained benefits I have had.

Faith,

I may start counting calories. I really do not want to, but that is better - in my head - than what I think will happen if I cut back carbs even further.

I actually do walk.... I am basically retired, and walk dogs for pocket money. But I don't lift weights, or do stair climbers, or any of that right now. I hope that I can start swimming at the YMCA this week as the pain seems much less these last 3 days.

ETA, I just checked that site for calories.... I need 2800 a day to maintain, and 2200+ to lose 1.25 pounds a week. I believe that I am eating close to 2000 a day, as I used to log on MyFitnessPal, and my calories were always about that. I know it isn't a miracle pill, but I do plan to start the GoLo plan for insulin resistance.

Nancy LC
Sun, Nov-10-13, 13:07
I'm suffering from chronic back pain too. I had xrays and MRI's done, seems to be arthritis and disk degeneration. Physical therapy helped a little, NSAIDs help a little, cortisone shot maybe helped a little.

But here's something to consider, all those drugs and medications you're taking for your back will make it tougher to lose weight and may even make you retain water. This is especially true for the elavil they had me on, and the NSAIDs.

I'd like to get off, but about 3 days off and my pain gets too bad to tolerate. :\

I'd like to recommend that you read the wonderful book, "Wheat Belly". That has some great advice for diabetics. The diabetes forum here is awesome too.

Your lack of weight loss might also indicate you need to take the carbs lower than 100. I usually try things that are hard like that for a week. I tell myself, "You can do anything for a week, right?"

papa deuce
Sun, Nov-10-13, 15:44
Nancy, I am routinely lower than 35 carbs.... I have had only a few days that approached 100. I would say that 95% of my days are under 35. And yes, Wheat Belly is a good book, and I own a copy.

I have pretty much read every book that has been published on LC, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance..... if it was published in the last 5 years.

Nancy LC
Sun, Nov-10-13, 16:13
Awesome! Glad to hear you're doing so well and digging into the research. It helps with the resolve, IMHO.

Good luck with the back pain issues.

Oh, one thing that works for me when it is especially bad is using my TENS unit. I bought this one (http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/tens-7000.html?gclid=CK6pos2e27oCFStxQgoddj4AcA), only mine was more expensive. Oops!

newlowc
Sun, Nov-10-13, 16:28
Hey Duece! Congrats on your efforts so far. I'm a fan of the Bernstein plan, My philosophy is to manage the diabetes and everything else will fall into place. Good Luck.

Bonnie OFS
Mon, Nov-11-13, 12:46
Papa Deuce -

Have you had an MRI for your back pain? I had years of increasing back pain and was told it was from being overweight. When it got really bad I went to a chiropractor, who was unable to do anything for me. Finally, when my doctor got worried about the number of pain pills I was taking, I was given an MRI. They found that I had spinal stenosis - a congenital defect that had gotten worse.

Unfortunately, the neurologist told me that nothing could be done for it. So I suffered for another year or so before going to another neurologist, had another MRI, and more extensive testing. And yes - surgery fixed it. :yay:

It's been several years and I LOVE being able to move around without pain and can walk, exercise, take care of my animals, and so much more!

At the very least, an MRI could rule out problems like mine.

Nancy LC
Mon, Nov-11-13, 13:22
Wow, nice to hear a success story, Bonnie. I have stenosis too, but it is from disk degeneration and arthritis which is narrowing the passageway.

Maybe I will look into surgery next year. This really is awful.

papa deuce
Mon, Nov-11-13, 20:30
No MRI yet, Bonnie.... I guess that is actually/ logically, the next best step.

I say back pain, and it is, but most of the pain is right above my hip on my left side. 80% of the pain is there, and the other 20% I would say is spread out across my lower back.... I attribute that pain to my weight, but I could be wrong.

Nancy LC
Mon, Nov-11-13, 21:36
Sounds like me, except mine is on the right. But then my lower back aches at night too. What fun!

Yes, get the MRI done when you can.

papa deuce
Mon, Nov-11-13, 21:56
Sounds like me, except mine is on the right. But then my lower back aches at night too. What fun!

Yes, get the MRI done when you can.

Fortunately, my pain is basically only as I sit down or get up. There was a day I laid on the floor for 30 minutes, unable to get up.

papa deuce
Wed, Nov-13-13, 11:33
Awesome! Glad to hear you're doing so well and digging into the research. It helps with the resolve, IMHO.

Good luck with the back pain issues.

Oh, one thing that works for me when it is especially bad is using my TENS unit. I bought this one (http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/tens-7000.html?gclid=CK6pos2e27oCFStxQgoddj4AcA), only mine was more expensive. Oops!

I bought a different one on amazon.... a little more expensive, but tons of great reviews. It arrives today, so I am kind of happy about that.

Aradasky
Wed, Nov-13-13, 20:31
I had HAD type two diabetes until I started LC. Now my doc says he will not chart it anymore since it s gone. My carb level is between 20 to 50 net carbs a day. Like you, other blood results are good.

I have had both hips and both knees replaced and my L4-5 fused.
You REALLY need to go find out what is happening. Get an xray

Pain changes your life. You might be able to be 99% pain free! I have osteo arthritis that is showing in other joints. I am grain free, no wheat or other grains except on rare occasions. My arthritis is much better.
You say you want to be a good model for your daughters, then go to the doctor.

When I read Jenny Ruhl I finally understood how low carb eating affects diabetes and I also learned that I needed to eat high fat, low carb and moderate protein. I also count calories.
I have lost 50 pounds and have been on maintenance for about 19 months.
This is her calculator
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

and where I used it and talked about her.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=446986

Here is her book,
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/33589704.php

Good luck, but please get your back xrayed or whatever. Mine was seen in an xray and mri.

Bonnie OFS
Thu, Nov-14-13, 10:22
This is her calculator
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

Neat site! But it confirms what I've been reading here - I've got to count more than carbs if I want to do this WOE successfully - I have to know how much protein and fat I'm eating, too. :(

Nancy LC
Thu, Nov-14-13, 15:23
I bought a different one on amazon.... a little more expensive, but tons of great reviews. It arrives today, so I am kind of happy about that.
Let me know how you like it. When I was in Physical Therapy for my back they finished each session with wet heat and TENS. It was awesome. :lol:

papa deuce
Thu, Nov-14-13, 21:11
Let me know how you like it. When I was in Physical Therapy for my back they finished each session with wet heat and TENS. It was awesome. :lol:

I used it tonight..... I was able to take the highest setting. It felt fine, but I guess I need to wait to see if it provides any long term relief.

Nancy LC
Thu, Nov-14-13, 21:45
Wow! I can only stand it on 2-3 on my unit. It shouldn't be painful, just enough stimulation to block out the pain.

It isn't long term relief for me, but I use it a lot when things are really bad. Sometimes I wear it to work under my clothes.

slmrickman
Sat, Dec-07-13, 16:43
I think if you go on induction level for a long time you will get the results...There are plenty of great things you can eat if you look around...I have been at 20 carbs for over two years and I am still finding new things to eat..