PDA

View Full Version : Ladies in their 50's ???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cheryl R
Thu, Oct-31-13, 23:46
I really want to connect with other ladies in their 50's. I'm just back to low-carbing at age 57. I should have stuck with my inner voice even though so many told me low-carb was bad for me.
I'm so committed to this. I will be starting fresh with Atkins induction on Nov 3rd or 4th. I've been preparing myself for the last week. I think this is truly do or die for me.
No one I know is into low carb so I'm hoping to make connections here to talk.
All the people I sued to talk with several years ago seem to be gone. :cry:

Mintaka
Fri, Nov-01-13, 20:55
I just turned 54, and went on Atkins in Dec 2012. I have lost about 20 lbs. It is much harder now for me to drop weight than it was previously. I just got a wisdom tooth out on Thursday and off the painkillers. I am still on antibiotics, which I think are causing me to retain fluid. Anyway, the Fat Fast has worked for me, I was down to 165, but am sitting at 168 now. Fat Fast is really the only way. I would love to get down to 150 lbs, but this might not be possible.

mviesprite
Fri, Nov-01-13, 21:05
I really want to connect with other ladies in their 50's. I'm just back to low-carbing at age 57. I should have stuck with my inner voice even though so many told me low-carb was bad for me.
I'm so committed to this. I will be starting fresh with Atkins induction on Nov 3rd or 4th. I've been preparing myself for the last week. I think this is truly do or die for me.
No one I know is into low carb so I'm hoping to make connections here to talk.
All the people I sued to talk with several years ago seem to be gone. :cry:
Hi Cheryl
You are in NorCal too, I see :) I am in my 50s as well and struggling with a lot of things but am committed to doing some form of low carb and losing this excess weight. I am facing two knee surgeries in Jan and Feb and really would like to focus and stop struggling with food.
It would be nice to support each other. Good for you for preparing and getting ready to do this.
Kat :wave:

mviesprite
Fri, Nov-01-13, 21:06
I just turned 54, and went on Atkins in Dec 2012. I have lost about 20 lbs. It is much harder now for me to drop weight than it was previously. I just got a wisdom tooth out on Thursday and off the painkillers. I am still on antibiotics, which I think are causing me to retain fluid. Anyway, the Fat Fast has worked for me, I was down to 165, but am sitting at 168 now. Fat Fast is really the only way. I would love to get down to 150 lbs, but this might not be possible.
Hi Mintaka ( I remember your star name from another post awhile back!)
So sorry to hear about the tooth - I hope it heals fast for you. I am at 168 right now as well.
Kat

Cheryl R
Sat, Nov-02-13, 00:42
YAY. Glad there are a few of us who can support each other.
Kat, I'm not far from you at all. I'm actually in Fairfield, I like writing Benicia because it's my true home. I have a nephew in Placerville; beautiful country up there.
Mintaka.. ouch. Take care of yourself. Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Tomorrow (20 minutes from now) I'm turning 57. I want to have the some of this weight off before my 2nd grandchild gets here in May. But I'm just looking at the first 15 pounds for now.

Gilly07
Sat, Nov-02-13, 01:32
Hiya!
I am 53 and live in Australia, I would love to be able to chat with some over 50s.
i think it's great that we can support each other through this, it can be a bit of a minefield at times!!

katoman
Sat, Nov-02-13, 07:21
Hi. Another Kat here. 53 and low carbing since August 2003. It's a struggle but it is getting easier, especially now that my husband is now eating mostly low carb.

macca*fan
Sat, Nov-02-13, 11:27
New to posting here, but long-time lurker. I have re-committed myself to low-carbing (after many years on and off) after I ran into health problems this summer. I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but got right back on each time. It has not been easy, but I am starting to feel better than I have in a loooong time. I didn't think the weight would come off this fast since I've entered the 50's, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It would be very helpful to share this journey with other women who understand this WOE. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

mviesprite
Sat, Nov-02-13, 13:47
YAY. Glad there are a few of us who can support each other.
Kat, I'm not far from you at all. I'm actually in Fairfield, I like writing Benicia because it's my true home. I have a nephew in Placerville; beautiful country up there.
Mintaka.. ouch. Take care of yourself. Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Tomorrow (20 minutes from now) I'm turning 57. I want to have the some of this weight off before my 2nd grandchild gets here in May. But I'm just looking at the first 15 pounds for now.
Happy Birthday! :bday:
Right, Fairfield isn't far. I am in Cameron Park. I have two knee replacements coming up in Jan and Feb and would like to make some significant progress before then. Oh, I have to say that reading your plan title on your information was coinciding with a book I am reading right now - I am reading the chapter on insulin resistance - which I am realizing is what part of the problem is with my body and repeated failures at sticking with any plan. Serendipitous that I saw that term on your info.
Welcome everybody, Gilly, the other Kat :) and Macca!
Kat

Cheryl R
Sun, Nov-03-13, 18:30
Hi everyone...
Welcome new ladies... I'm glad you are all here!!!
I started my first day of Atkins induction; I will be following a different plan after a few weeks.
Kat.... Insulin resistance plan I have listed as my plan is actually from a book called Insulin Resistance I think the authors name is Cheryl Hart (same first name as me).
So I'm starting over today; completely starting over. I probably should have started last week but I just had to get thru 3 events in my life first. I don't regret waiting because I've done a lot of reading and thinking to get my head into it so I can have success.
I see something new called myplan can someone tell me about that. Can someone tell me what that is.

ojoj
Mon, Nov-04-13, 01:49
I'm too young to comment then lol - I'm 49 and three quarters!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been low carbing for nearly 11 years, with a short gap of a year when I thought it would be alright to have a few high carb bits and pieces - WRONG!! Arthritis, IBS, eczema all came back, as did 20lbs! So I quickly went back to Atkins induction and its all gone again. I'll never touch wheat or sugar again, its not worth the pain or the addiction.

The more I read just lately, the more I realise that wheat and sugar are bad and that good old saturated fat is good! I knew that anyway from my own experience.

Jo xxx

Nancy LC
Mon, Nov-04-13, 11:27
55 here and low carbing for 10 years now! My Meno-perimeno status makes losing weight about impossible, but I think the diet is very healthy.

I can only imagine how fat and diabetic I would be if I hadn't stuck to low carb these last 10 years.

mviesprite
Mon, Nov-04-13, 21:48
Hi everyone...

Kat.... Insulin resistance plan I have listed as my plan is actually from a book called Insulin Resistance I think the authors name is Cheryl Hart (same first name as me).
So I'm starting over today; completely starting over. I probably should have started last week but I just had to get thru 3 events in my life first. I don't regret waiting because I've done a lot of reading and thinking to get my head into it so I can have success.

Thanks Cheryl - I'll have to look for that book. I'd like to read it. I know if I had kept going with the sugar thing I'd be diabetic today, I'm sure.

I think it's good that you knew when to give yourself the best start - and wrapping your head around it in preparation is a good thing too. I am doing that very thing with CALP - I want to try it but am not quite there yet. I will keep my Somersizing rules intact though - I love that plan too.

Hi Jo! Aw, you can come play with us :) Hi Nancy!
Kat

Cheryl R
Tue, Nov-05-13, 01:13
I'm too young to comment then lol - I'm 49 and three quarters!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been low carbing for nearly 11 years, with a short gap of a year when I thought it would be alright to have a few high carb bits and pieces - WRONG!! Arthritis, IBS, eczema all came back, as did 20lbs! So I quickly went back to Atkins induction and its all gone again. I'll never touch wheat or sugar again, its not worth the pain or the addiction.

The more I read just lately, the more I realise that wheat and sugar are bad and that good old saturated fat is good! I knew that anyway from my own experience.

Jo xxx

Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

Thank you all for joining in this group. I think we will all be able to help each other through the hurdles.

Cheryl R
Tue, Nov-05-13, 01:15
I wish we could hit "like" like in facebook so that we can acknowledge and welcome new people easier.
So.... welcome everyone who has chimed in so far. I look at names and then forget by the time I start typing.

macca*fan
Tue, Nov-05-13, 09:23
Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

I just wanted to say my long-time sinus issues have disappeared these last few months, as well as needing to take daily allergy medication for itchy skin (where I would literally scratch my hands and feet till they were sore and bleeding). My diabetes is under control as well as my blood pressure.

Now, I still have some health issues, but I can only imagine feeling even better than I do now even a few more months down the road. :)

ojoj
Tue, Nov-05-13, 13:58

Thank you all for joining in this group. I think we will all be able to help each other through the hurdles.

I used to get little white, crusty, incredibly itchy patches all over my skin, especially on my face (typical), shoulders, upper arms and legs. They were round and about a centimentre in diameter, each should and upper arm would have four or five. My doctor thought it might be ring worm at first, but eventually settled on eczema. Interestingly, my teenage daughter gets them - she's not low carbing. I also used to get an allergic reaction to cheap ear rings, deodorant and perfume. For some reason that stopped too??

ldahling
Tue, Nov-05-13, 14:41
Hi Cheryl R - and everyone else.
I am restarting again at 60 yrs old and 268 lbs.
Lets help each other for sure. It is the only way.

Last time I lost 70 pounds (50 yrs old then) and got quite sick of peoples opinion on what I ate. Now I plan to just mumble something about watching portions and if pushed, I may say I am allergic or gluten i tolerant or other such nonsense. Its easier than explaining all the time. I hope a simple "I can't eat that" will often suffice too.
What do other people do?
Do you defend or explain low carbing? Avoid the topic? Lie?

PS: I was lucky before because my doctor was on Atkins the same time as me. She saw how it worked and the good effect on cholesterol, etc.

Cheryl R
Tue, Nov-05-13, 19:38
Last time I lost 70 pounds (50 yrs old then) and got quite sick of peoples opinion on what I ate. Now I plan to just mumble something about watching portions and if pushed, I may say I am allergic or gluten i tolerant or other such nonsense. Its easier than explaining all the time. I hope a simple "I can't eat that" will often suffice too.
What do other people do?

Like you, when I was in my 50's I got extremely tired of people commenting on what I ate. I worked with doctors and other medical people and they all had an opinion. Back then, no one really believed if you were gluten intolerant; which is silly, some of the books I've read indicate this has been known for years. So, last year at the age of 56 I had to have a colonoscopy with biopsy's of some areas; and some kind of other testing he did at the same time. And lots of blood work. Mine came up that I do not have celiacs but I am absolutely intolerant to wheat, barley, rye. It is extremely difficult to do this type of weight loss program without getting negative feed back from some.

I am soooo looking forward to some of my health issues clearing up. I have wanted to be back on this program for sooooo long. It's getting started that is the hard part. Day three for me. It's been hard and I've been so grumpy today. I know this will pass; and I warned my husband.

Cheryl R
Tue, Nov-05-13, 19:41
I used to get little white, crusty, incredibly itchy patches all over my skin, especially on my face (typical), shoulders, upper arms and legs. They were round and about a centimentre in diameter, each should and upper arm would have four or five. My doctor thought it might be ring worm at first, but eventually settled on eczema. Interestingly, my teenage daughter gets them - she's not low carbing. I also used to get an allergic reaction to cheap ear rings, deodorant and perfume. For some reason that stopped too??

That is how some of my eczema started; mine went away when I did give up sugar and wheat/flour before. It stayed away for several years. My daughter is 34 and she just started getting spots on her upper chest. She'd pregnant so she can't even use steroid cream and she's itching like crazy. She's never ever had it before.

ojoj
Wed, Nov-06-13, 14:57
That is how some of my eczema started; mine went away when I did give up sugar and wheat/flour before. It stayed away for several years. My daughter is 34 and she just started getting spots on her upper chest. She'd pregnant so she can't even use steroid cream and she's itching like crazy. She's never ever had it before.

Its the itching thats the problem, cos of course eventually you scratch yourself raw, bleed and end up not only with the little white patches, but streaky scratch marks. I used to scratch with a wire hairbrush when it was really bad, it was just so itchy and made such a mess of myself. I found sudocrem (nappy rash cream) was the only thing that helped - and of course steroids (my doctor prescribed me prednisolone tablets) , but they made me hungry lol!!!!!

Jo xxx

Cheryl R
Wed, Nov-06-13, 15:45
Oh my gosh, I have a wire brush also, I used it on a spot on my back where I had shingles years ago; but I'm careful. My husband cringes if he sees me do it, but I don't do it hard any more.

I'm excited today, it's day 4 of Atkins induction (not what I will follow after 2 weeks). I haven't been hungry at all and I'm even smelling tonight's dinner cooking for the last 3 hours. I'm kind of shocked that it's only day 4 and I feel so much better already; especially my tummy. I actually walked my 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time since before my foot injury this summer. I did a 22 minutes walk alone and a 26 minute walk with Darrell..... and I worked a little in our yard... and I'm down a pound. My weight went up from halloween and birthday but now it's back where I was before halloween. YAY.

Cheryl R
Thu, Nov-07-13, 20:26
Where did everyone go? I'm on day 5 and going strong. I'm having a problem getting up and getting stuff done. Anybody got any motivation ideas to get me up and going each day?

loried
Mon, Nov-18-13, 00:22
My name is Lorie & I started Atkins almost 4 wks. ago & have had a 5 lb. weight loss. I did Atkins in 2001 with great success, kept weight off for about 5 yrs. then back to my old ways. Now starting again, weight a little harder to lose this time, but feel good. :D

mviesprite
Mon, Nov-18-13, 22:52
What do other people do?

PS: I was lucky before because my doctor was on Atkins the same time as me. She saw how it worked and the good effect on cholesterol, etc.
I am a little late on commenting on this but I do have something I say - I went thru the explaining phase too and it took too much energy and I felt I was wasting my breath, so I just say "No thank you" and if pushed "You won't be getting on the scale with me in the morning." They can think what they like. I had a lot of food pushers at work and funny, now they are doing their own versions of LC and Atkins now, too. I do find if you just say low carb it goes over better than naming a specific plan.

For what it's worth!
Kat

mviesprite
Mon, Nov-18-13, 22:59
Where did everyone go? I'm on day 5 and going strong. I'm having a problem getting up and getting stuff done. Anybody got any motivation ideas to get me up and going each day?
Hi Cheryl! Just busy, I imagine :) close to the holidays...
I have the same problem when I am home from work, I'm just wiped - but I try to do something fun, something I look forward to. I've been collaging a calendar page for myself for inspiration daily and that gives me a little break and some motivation to move it. I find a model/person I'd like my body to resemble, some fun make up, a healthy food picture, something seasonal like fall leaves and copy a recipe title and success quote on the page from my Suzanne Somers books - they turn out fun and being visually oriented, I do find motivation by doing this daily. I'll also put on a favorite movie/show - if I have to do household things, it's fun to listen to in the background. Or high energy music. Right now I have a Dark Shadows marathon going while I am cooking - Netflix has it on instant. Trying a new recipe is fun as well. I guess the point is the more fun I make things the more I feel like doing.
What do others do?
Kat

Cheryl R
Wed, Nov-20-13, 02:16
I wanted to hit like on a few posts. Seems like we are all going thru the same things. My computer is going to the shop tomorrow; I've been beg borrowing and stealing time on Darrell's computer; but his is stationary and I don't like sitting in that room for long. I tried to fix it myself; but I need to upgrade my windows; I'm still using Vista. I copied all my files just in case today, I would just die if I lost my pictures. I know they will back it up for me, but I don't trust it.

MishaBelle
Tue, Jan-14-14, 08:03
I'll try to revive this thread!

I'm Michelle, 51 year old, with the start of some arthritis issues that losing 25 lbs would significantly help! I've had too much stress in my life this past year between work and family issues, but all of that is calming down and I'm at a place where I have more control (and I intend to keep that control!)

I have successfully lost 30 lbs doing this in the past (two times, actually), but then I get lazy and fall off the wagon. I need to do this again and I need to keep it up. I'm ready to make some new habits and I have some good motivations to do that.

And yep, I'm menopausal now so that doesn't help the cause, but I don't miss "the curse" at all!

Looking forward to meeting other 50 is the new 30 women!

mviesprite
Wed, Jan-15-14, 20:41
I'll try to revive this thread!

I'm Michelle, 51 year old, with the start of some arthritis issues that losing 25 lbs would significantly help! I've had too much stress in my life this past year between work and family issues, but all of that is calming down and I'm at a place where I have more control (and I intend to keep that control!)

I have successfully lost 30 lbs doing this in the past (two times, actually), but then I get lazy and fall off the wagon. I need to do this again and I need to keep it up. I'm ready to make some new habits and I have some good motivations to do that.

And yep, I'm menopausal now so that doesn't help the cause, but I don't miss "the curse" at all!

Looking forward to meeting other 50 is the new 30 women!
Hi Michelle!
We all seem to be busy these days - especially post holidays. I just had a knee replacement Jan 6, so have been busy recovering! But it's always nice to meet 50 is the new 30!!! women :) I am hoping to feel more that way later this year when I can run around again minus a walker! or cane...!
Kat

ldahling
Wed, Jan-15-14, 21:20
Well I'm past the 50 group now (just turned 60), but I like this group so I'm staying! I hope that's okay.
I re-started in November and am doing pretty good. Things are slower than last time - 10 years ago - which I suppose is understandable. I read Wheat Belly and boy I do not want ever to eat it again! A lot of my aches and pains are gone now - but I still ahve the occasional trouble with gas. I plan to try Apple Cider Vinegar next time to see if it helps. Other than that, I'm just eating lots of fat, some protein and veggies and trying to get outside every day.
Today 254. Tomorrow - the world!

MishaBelle
Thu, Jan-16-14, 18:29
What made you decide to get your knee done? I'm afraid I'm on that quick path and I'm trying to figure out what is the reason to finally pull that trigger... I'm quite frustrated with not being able to walk for more than 30 - 44 minutes without pain and lack of mobility. I'm not fun anymore.

Nice to meet you both!

mviesprite
Thu, Jan-16-14, 21:12
Well I'm past the 50 group now (just turned 60), but I like this group so I'm staying! I hope that's okay.
I re-started in November and am doing pretty good. Things are slower than last time - 10 years ago - which I suppose is understandable. I read Wheat Belly and boy I do not want ever to eat it again! A lot of my aches and pains are gone now - but I still ahve the occasional trouble with gas. I plan to try Apple Cider Vinegar next time to see if it helps. Other than that, I'm just eating lots of fat, some protein and veggies and trying to get outside every day.
Today 254. Tomorrow - the world!
Hello Idahling! Love the name :) Once again a testament to Wheat Belly. I must read it. Good for you.
Kat

mviesprite
Thu, Jan-16-14, 21:16
What made you decide to get your knee done? I'm afraid I'm on that quick path and I'm trying to figure out what is the reason to finally pull that trigger... I'm quite frustrated with not being able to walk for more than 30 - 44 minutes without pain and lack of mobility. I'm not fun anymore.

Nice to meet you both!
Hi Michelle
It gave out. They both did, LOL. I had a hip replacement from bad osteoarthritis (bone spurs) and trauma 2 years ago and was just getting back into my life again, exercising when the knee got really painful - I couldn't walk for any distance on it. An MRI later, I had a tear, cyst, bone debris and those lovely bone spurs from osteoarthritis...a few weeks later the other knee "went", so it's been a painful journey.
Knees are tough, but everyone who has this says they are glad they did and are back to being active.
Kat

MishaBelle
Fri, Jan-17-14, 07:25
Thanks for the info, Kat. My mother keeps telling to get it done sooner rather than later as well... and while I'm good at keeping a stiff upper lip, I'm annoyed with feeling like my knees rule my life.

Off to the semi-annual blood draw! It's going to be awful because I haven't been back on the wagon long enough, but oh well!

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone doing anything fun??

mviesprite
Sat, Jan-18-14, 21:52
Thanks for the info, Kat. My mother keeps telling to get it done sooner rather than later as well... and while I'm good at keeping a stiff upper lip, I'm annoyed with feeling like my knees rule my life.

Off to the semi-annual blood draw! It's going to be awful because I haven't been back on the wagon long enough, but oh well!

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone doing anything fun??
I'm on my own this weekend - doing well enough that I can petsit for my people who are taking care of me while they have a nice weekend in Tahoe with friends. Just doing my exercises, walking, and taking care of myself is full time - not much else happening.

MishaBelle
Sun, Jan-19-14, 18:02
Busy weekend with work stuff... normally, I can stave it off, but there is a filing deadline on Wednesday. Ugh.

But I did get shopping done, and groceries bought and I'm cooking. I have a plan for next week and that should make things be easier for me.

Off to finish dinner.... I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend enough to be on your own, Pat! How long ago was surgery?

poppyseed
Fri, Jan-24-14, 22:54
Hi ladies,
I'm an Aussie , aged 57 and have been zero carb for approximately 5 years.
When I first started doing this lifestyle I lost about 10 kgs in short while.
Somehow, the kilos have managed to come back so that I'm now needing to lose 5 kgs.
It is very difficult to lose fat now that I'm in my late 50s.
Even at 49-50years, it was still relatively easier than it is now.
I feel flabbier and untoned.. but I guess I'm not 20 anymore!
I eat plenty of fat, moderate protein and zero carb .
I ride 50 kms weekly, on my bike and I work full time.
I guess I have obvious signs of post menopausal fat distribution with much larger hips than I've ever had and fat pads between my knees and calves making my legs look most unattractive - and it won't budge.
I'd like to meet other ladies doing this lifestyle , to be supportive and to share ideas.
Pops :)

ojoj
Sat, Jan-25-14, 04:10
Hi ladies,
I'm an Aussie , aged 57 and have been zero carb for approximately 5 years.
When I first started doing this lifestyle I lost about 10 kgs in short while.
Somehow, the kilos have managed to come back so that I'm now needing to lose 5 kgs.
It is very difficult to lose fat now that I'm in my late 50s.
Even at 49-50years, it was still relatively easier than it is now.
I feel flabbier and untoned.. but I guess I'm not 20 anymore!
I eat plenty of fat, moderate protein and zero carb .
I ride 50 kms weekly, on my bike and I work full time.
I guess I have obvious signs of post menopausal fat distribution with much larger hips than I've ever had and fat pads between my knees and calves making my legs look most unattractive - and it won't budge.
I'd like to meet other ladies doing this lifestyle , to be supportive and to share ideas.
Pops :)

I started this WOE 11 years ago. I lost 85lbs. I did gain a bit a few years ago, partly thru increasing carbs again and what I thought was due to menopause. BUT, two years ago I decided I wasnt having any of it - so post menopausal, I decided to go back to strict induction, lost all the weight and am now the same size as I was 10 years ago. Ok, my poor old body aint gonna be like a 20 year olds again and my skin is wrinkly cos theres no fat to plump it out, but I refuse to "buy" the menopausal fat thing and I havent got any!!!!!

That said, I'm beginning to think maybe I should put a bit on now - a skinny old lady isnt a good look for me?!?

Jo xxx

MishaBelle
Sun, Jan-26-14, 07:40
Ughh... like I posted under another topic... two weeks of low-carb'ing and I've released enough estrogen back into my system that I'm having a period! First one since July 2012. I'm so annoyed. I really enjoy NOT having periods (mine were so heavy before they stopped).

I'm plugging along; I got my exercise bike fixed yesterday so that will help. I think one of the things I have to do different is to step up my activity... with my knee problems, I'm not nearly as active as I used to be.

And nice to meet you Poppy!

mviesprite
Sun, Jan-26-14, 16:45
Ughh... like I posted under another topic... two weeks of low-carb'ing and I've released enough estrogen back into my system that I'm having a period! First one since July 2012. I'm so annoyed. I really enjoy NOT having periods (mine were so heavy before they stopped).

I'm plugging along; I got my exercise bike fixed yesterday so that will help. I think one of the things I have to do different is to step up my activity... with my knee problems, I'm not nearly as active as I used to be.

And nice to meet you Poppy!
Hello Jo and Poppyseed :)
Aw, so sorry about having another cycle...I kept waiting for mine to come back...but I never had another one. It just tapered off...down to 3 a year, then that was it. I don't miss it at ALL.
Kat

bike2work
Sun, Jan-26-14, 18:54

Before you do that, try giving up gluten dairy, and maybe even nightshade veggies. You might find that your inflammation goes down so much that you have no further pain. I strongly suggest reading Wheat Belly or one of the paleo books. Surgery might be completely unnecessary and cause further problems. If you have an inflammation problem, you'll need to deal with it anyway.

I deeply regret my knee surgery. If I had known then what I know now about inflammation I never would have done it. Now my knee is fat and unsightly for life.

MishaBelle
Tue, Jan-28-14, 08:21
Before you do that, try giving up gluten dairy, and maybe even nightshade veggies. You might find that your inflammation goes down so much that you have no further pain. I strongly suggest reading Wheat Belly or one of the paleo books. Surgery might be completely unnecessary and cause further problems. If you have an inflammation problem, you'll need to deal with it anyway.

I deeply regret my knee surgery. If I had known then what I know now about inflammation I never would have done it. Now my knee is fat and unsightly for life.

I'm already gluten and nightshade veggie free. That helps, but I find that a general low carb diet (along with 20 lbs gone) is also helpful. I've seen the x-rays... there is significant damage in the knees and it is not a matter of if, but when, and I'm trying to delay that. It's not just inflammation. Fortunately, they make "lady knees" now that are smaller in size and less unattractive. I'm holding out though, for technology to improve more. :)

Fortunately, dairy does not bother me... but I've gotten to the point where peppers make me so ill. Stuffed peppers used to be my favorite fall dinner, but not anymore!

Jadziafm
Wed, Feb-05-14, 12:43
Hi ladies, some very familiar stories up above, have enjoyed reading them. But this site is so difficult to get around. I seem to be blocked in anything I do doh!! Nancy LC, you sound like a lady after my own heart. I've been low carbing on and off for over 10 years now, not massively overweight thankfully but at approaching 52 the weight seems very stuck this time :( and I am being stricter and going hungry for the first time ever since doing this!! Am over a stone overweight now. I did post a while back about having a mirena coil fitted and maybe that was the reason, but no-one replied!!

ldahling
Wed, Mar-26-14, 22:09
What in heaven's name is a mirena coil?
Never heard of that.

ojoj
Thu, Mar-27-14, 01:08
What in heaven's name is a mirena coil?
Never heard of that.

Its a coil (contraceptive) that also contains some hormones http://www.mirena-us.com/

Jo xxx

Mama Sebo
Thu, Mar-27-14, 04:30
I'm 57, as I lose weight I'm getting more and more active, now, a few weeks ago I started the big Risk -- playing softball with a group every Sunday afternoon -- my sons, 16 and 18, also play and its so cute how proud they are that their old mum can play. My throw (which was never great) is really bad, and I run like I going through molasses, but I can still hit and field pretty well. I'm trying to be careful about warming up arms legs and back, and trying to build my upper body strength and get the running a bit more effective. There some other elderly types, so we tend to minimize the hot foot to first, still, its RUNNING! And what a joy to be back in the softball world!

Ilikemice
Sat, Mar-29-14, 08:48
Huh, I don't recall seeing this thread before. 51 here, 52 later this year. I'm in "the last few pounds" range, so it's more of a matter of how clothes look than anything else. I'm very glad I got rid of the bulk of my weight years ago, to be honest it was through exercise and a bodybuilding-style diet (I was really into weights) but LC is what works to keep it off and for health, of course. I know it's extremely difficult for people our age to lose, in general, even on LC.

Oh, also my mom died recently of a heart attack and had multiple health issues..so that's a motivator. She ate terribly...lots of grainy stuff from the health food store, juice, etc. She just about hung up on me once when I suggested cutting back on wheat for her arthritis.

My stats say 125 but that's probably too low for a goal weight. 130 should be fine.

Mama Sebo
Mon, Apr-07-14, 06:50
"Oh, also my mom died recently of a heart attack and had multiple health issues..so that's a motivator. She ate terribly...lots of grainy stuff from the health food store, juice, etc. She just about hung up on me once when I suggested cutting back on wheat for her arthritis."

Sorry you had to deal with that Ilikemice! But I understand what you mean about the motivating factors....at our age the concept of extending a QUALITY life is very real!!!!!! I've got a similar goal number, 124, I just chose it because it was 100 pounds less than where I started to change my approach to life. In order to get of diabetes medicine and to ensure that I don't damage my body with diabetes I probably have to get down even lower -- according to the 'in the know' endocrinologists one has to get to the low end of recommendations for height -- for me thats 111 pounds. Right now I can't imagine it, I think that 130 or 135 would be a wonderful gift! All the best for making it to those last few pounds if you do decide you want to! Do you still lift weights? I have a few friends on the boards here that do. Take care...

Ilikemice
Wed, Apr-09-14, 09:38
to ensure that I don't damage my body with diabetes I probably have to get down even lower -- according to the 'in the know' endocrinologists one has to get to the low end of recommendations for height -- for me thats 111 pounds.

That sounds really bizarre, but I know little about diabetes. Sounds like they're saying it's all dependent on your weight and not your health. If you're 130 and keeping your blood sugar down with LC, I mean, what...?

Nope, I got bored with weights after 20+ years of it - wasn't making any progress anymore and was just going through the motions. I do HIIT now (Zuzana Light's program). Pure sweet torture, lemme tell ya...

LilyB
Wed, Apr-09-14, 16:29
I'll be 52 this year, and peri-menopause/menopause is kicking my butt! Even heavy, I've always had a waist...

My weight's not going up... but my waist sure feels/looks/measures "thicker". >.<

Oh, and I'm living next door to/sharing elder care with carbaholics. Mom and brother are awful. Mom wants to "lessen the sin" by sharing with Daddy, who's bedridden and toothless. Urgh. I won't make the desserts, but brother sure will!

Mama Sebo
Fri, Apr-11-14, 12:41
That sounds really bizarre, but I know little about diabetes. Sounds like they're saying it's all dependent on your weight and not your health. If you're 130 and keeping your blood sugar down with LC, I mean, what...?

Nope, I got bored with weights after 20+ years of it - wasn't making any progress anymore and was just going through the motions. I do HIIT now (Zuzana Light's program). Pure sweet torture, lemme tell ya...
The diabetes is caused in lagre part by the fat in your body, around the pancreas and the other organs, and if you can get that fat down low enough then you have the chance of reversing diabetes, for me it means still having to be careful with what I eat, but seeing the discomfort of sugar spikes disappear along with the need to take medicine, and ensures that blood sugar remains low.

glidergirl
Sat, May-17-14, 15:07
Just popping in to say Hi! Another over 50 here. My weight/waist has been creeping up the last 7 years. I always had a tiny waist compared to bust and hips. Not anymore. My normal overweight weight has always been 154-164. I'm going to try to get down below 145, in hopes to reset my normal.
I have no idea of when I went through menopause! I had a partial hysterectomy at 38. When tested at 50 to see if I had started menopause, I was told I was already through with it! No noticeable symptoms!

LaughLola
Sat, May-17-14, 15:28
Hi Colleen, hope you're enjoying the weekend. I'm assuming I went thru peri-menopause and in process of menopause despite not suffering from any noticeable signs and symptom.
I maintained 125Ibs for decades until about two years ago. Sure I gained 10-15 Ibs when splurged but was able to lose the weight quickly. Recently I gained over 40Ibs in short duration; I blame it on excessive eating at night, pasta, bread, sweets and a more sedentary lifestyle.
I hadn't thought that menopausal process was making it so difficult to lose. My waist is thicker even when I was trim and now I deal with muffin-top; something I can't stand.
I'll be 50 yo in a few weeks.
Take care everyone,
Lola

glidergirl
Sat, May-17-14, 16:34
Hi Lola! I have the muffintop too! It's such a weird and uncomfortable feeling after having a tiny waist my whole life!
Here's to getting rid of the Muffin Tops!
:cheer: Go Team! :)

cnmLisa
Sat, May-17-14, 21:30
Thought I'd pop in and say hello. 54 tomorrow and yeah the menopause thing with the thicker waist. I've put on 7 pounds all in my butt and thighs(where I always carry it) but the thicker waist is just frickn' frustrating. My small waist use to be the thing that got me thru having a bubble butt and thick thighs. Now....I try daily to give myself some slack--I mean jeez louise--I'm 54 and will never have the 28 inch waist from my 30s--I just try and take one day at a time. Some days are better than others and it's better than the alternative.
My philosophy...do the best you can at any given moment. That's all we can ask of ourselves.
Lisa

LaughLola
Sat, May-17-14, 21:39
Happy Birthday Lisa! I hope you have a wonderful day. My birthday is less than a month away and I'm debating whether to have the notorious cake and ice cream celebration.

Do you plan on celebrating with any treats tomorrow?
Take care
~L

glidergirl
Sat, May-17-14, 21:46
Happy Birthday Lisa!
Lisa and Lola, you can make some low carb ice cream with hwc, use the baggie method for single servings or make a full batch and don't tell that it's low carb! And I've seen some really good sounding low carb cakes, some in single cup size.

LaughLola
Sat, May-17-14, 22:00
LC ice cream and cake would be great but unfortunately I spending that day with my family. For decades now my dad buys a double decker 8" cake for birthdays from German bakery. It's served with side of Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream. We have those instead of eating lunch.
I already know in advance I'm going have a small slice with scoop of ice cream. I'm hoping to lose a few more pounds prior to my birthday; that's my goal anyway.
I'll definitely look into the home made LC ice cream though; the store bought one is too expensive with too many carbs.

cnmLisa
Sat, May-17-14, 22:18
Ice cream and cake...nope, none for me. It just doesn't hold any interest.
Now a nice big glass of wine..... ;)
5 years ago a day after my birthday was when I recommitted to plan (the third time around the rodeo)--I just did not want to turn 50 in a girdle :p
I can't believe, it's 5 years later, have basically kept it off, still doing LC (probably 80-20) and here I am. I can't complain. I'm crazy healthy except for a back injury that I've had for years. Life is good. (maybe just a bit of botox for my crows feet :lol: )

Glider--take a look in the sweets/desserts section--there is a huge thread that I started oh so long ago discussing ice cream--green tea I think it was at the time.

cnmLisa
Sat, May-17-14, 22:20
If you're interested in almost everything LC ice cream--I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=289870

Mama Sebo
Sat, May-17-14, 22:25
Happy Birthday Lisa and Lola!! All the very best for a great celebration and a fulfilling year!

LaughLola
Sat, May-17-14, 22:42
If you're interested in almost everything LC ice cream--I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=289870

Great, thanks!

ETA: and thanks Mama; I appreciate it. I believe my 50th year will be the best yet.

glidergirl
Mon, May-26-14, 11:02
It looks good, but I can't have green tea. It interacts with my coumadin.
I'll do a search, though. I'm sure there's other good low carb recipes for ice cream. :)

cnmLisa
Fri, May-30-14, 22:20
Just a heads up....even though the thread title is green tea ice cream, the entire thread has to do with texture and other different flavors. Green tea just happened to be the flavor I made that day. :)

bugujo
Wed, Jul-02-14, 06:35
Is anyone still posting here? I am 53 and restarted LC journey on May 28. Down 17 lbs as of June 28th. I am only weighing once a month since the numbers on the scale can mess with my head LOL

QueenBee2
Fri, Jul-11-14, 08:37
I'm here..just starting back. I'm 54.....so close to your age.

I'm wrapping my mind around it so far...and have gradually reduced my carbs before I start induction.

bugujo
Fri, Jul-11-14, 10:19
QueenBee2, with 431 posts you can't be that new :roll:

I like your goals that you have set in your siggy too. Also, transitioning to induction by cutting back is a good thing.

I am one that has never been able to do an Atkins induction for some reason. I am low carb, just not that low. Since using My Fitness Pal this time around, I seem to average somewhere around 20-50 net grams of carbs on average.

I have a journal which I started from the encouragement of other members on this site, do you have one started yet?

lizzyLC
Fri, Jul-11-14, 11:23
I have a hard time with induction levels as well. It's blueberry season and there fruit everywhere in my yard!!!

bugujo
Fri, Jul-11-14, 13:49
I am in Iowa and can't pass up corn on the cob once in a while. I know what you mean Lizzy. Melons and peaches too.

lizzyLC
Fri, Jul-11-14, 14:50
Yeah, I keep it to one serving.

Iowa is beautiful.

QueenBee2
Wed, Jul-16-14, 07:40
We grow sweet corn~ACK!!
Love the stuff..I just have to keep it to one ear.

Ilikemice
Wed, Jul-16-14, 14:05
(almost) 52 here. Should post more in this thread. I've been suffering from carb creep and the lure of protein bars. Just got back on track last week. Aargh, I've known for months we're going to Florida in August!

Does anyone else have trouble staying on track in the summer? In Tennessee it's hot and humid of course and it seems to just make me expand (bloat). I lose all motivation and energy to work at it. I've never been a summer person anyway. Anyone else see this effect?

bugujo
Wed, Jul-16-14, 18:07
Ilikemice, It is hot and humid where I live too and currently on vacation in TX. For the most part, I have been on plan since May 28 thankfully. What struggles do you have during the summer staying on track?

My son does not have wifi so we are at McDonalds. I may not be posting again until maybe tomorrow if we find wifi.

bubu
Wed, Jul-16-14, 20:34
Hi there ladies,

glad to see an age group thread for us nickels. I will be
55 soon and am fighting the problems in the middle as well. I haven't been working out due to joint problems, which in turn led me back to LC.
Revisiting is exciting as I was on here long time ago and had lots of fun and good support.

This time around though it's not just the weight, it's a rebellion against all the lies that have made people sicker than ever...because of the $$$ and powers. I guess u could say I am "fed up".

I had absolutely no problem dropping grains and sugar...and....live in South Dakota surrounded by corn ((((hello Iowa))). :wave:

Ilikemice
Thu, Jul-17-14, 06:48
I've had the most trouble staying on track this summer and I think it's related to life stresses (read; difficult significant other) but yeah, the heat and humidity just seems to make me lose motivation and I feel less quick and active. Total opposite of what most people would say they feel. I kinda hunker down and wait for the season to be over with.

bubu
Fri, Jul-18-14, 04:29
I've had the most trouble staying on track this summer and I think it's related to life stresses (read; difficult significant other) but yeah, the heat and humidity just seems to make me lose motivation and I feel less quick and active. Total opposite of what most people would say they feel. I kinda hunker down and wait for the season to be over with.

I am that type of person as well, anything above 80 F sort of doesn't feel right. Love spring and fall if they'd ever exist anymore. We seem to be switching to summer and winter way too quick these last few years. When I was working out yet, I would usually pretty much stop during the summer, just some walking maybe, but no gym stuff. And these days an occasional walk.

Food wise my motivator has been the science behind HF/LC and how we seemingly have been lied to for the sake of money, again. Having become a carb addicted person, I feel like I am rebelling against my old habits and the industry. If it works for me to stay on this WOL then maybe I can set an example for my kids and grandkids, so is my hope and desire.

CallmeAnn
Thu, Aug-14-14, 09:35
Hi. I'm 53 until the 25th of this month. I am seeing a lot of correlation between water and my losses. It's been this way every time I try to go back to LC. I'll work with it this time and beat this weight into submission.

bugujo
Fri, Aug-15-14, 18:36
Hi Ann, I will be 55 in November. Is this your first time at doing LC? I lost 65 lbs in 2008 with this woe but fell of the wagon after about 2 years and steadily regained all plus.

CallmeAnn
Fri, Aug-15-14, 19:00
Oh, no, it's not my first time, by a long shot. I lost about 60 pounds in six months, back in '99 with PP. I now wish I had more pictures of me at that time. I highly favor Eades's plan, over other authors, as far as my own choices go. I didn't stay on plan much after the holidays that year, and of course gained it all back, plus some, like so many others. I used the old usenet system and read/posted in alt.support.diet-lowcarb, Or ASDLC. It was a marvelous board and made it possible for me to be successful. I used to have my sig designed to try to find some of the old members but didn't have much luck.

bugujo
Sat, Aug-16-14, 11:32
When I lost before I primarily was on LC Friends and there was a thread there that I was a part of that eventually "disbanded". There is another thread over on that site that I frequent.

This time around I learned about this site and have enjoyed the variety between the two sites.

I found a blog that has recipes using Quest bars. They sound interesting. Quest nutrition website also sells protein chips that look like a potato chip. I wouldn't mind trying those sometime.

I took my mom to breakfast and there was an omelet choice but it came with potatoes and toast. I asked if I could just have the omelet and reduce the price by the a la carte prices for the potatoes and toast. I was told they couldn't do that but i could sub with fruit. I said no. So, a la carte it was. I had 2 eggs over easy and ham.

I have bought farm eggs for several years now and their yolks are dark yellow to orange. The eggs this morning were pale yellow, quite the difference.

Lessara
Sun, Dec-28-14, 11:44
Hello I'm Kassie and I'm 50 :) I'm doing Dr. Bernstein diet I"m on day 3. I don't exercise due to lame in right leg. I do walk at college and I'm a senior (1-1/2 yrs to graduate) Civil Engineering.

bugujo
Mon, Dec-29-14, 08:37
Hi Kassie, welcome to the 50's club. I haven't heard of Dr. Bernstein, I will have to Google that one :)

I do my own LC version, tweaking as I go. I got really derailed over the last few days, gaining 9 lbs of water weight. At least I hope that is all it is. So, back on track this morning and shooting for onederland again.

I am able to exercise thankfully and do so daily. What has helped me is tracking my food on My Fitness Pal and using the Fitbit.

Mintaka
Mon, Dec-29-14, 21:41
Hello everyone! I have been doing LCHF (Atkins Fat Fast basically) since March 2013, and have lost about 15 lb. I will have to update my profile. I weigh 163 lb now, and would like to get down to 156 lb. It says my goal is 150 lb, which might be a tad optimistic. I am almost through menopause. Been sweating lately in the Queensland summer. Gah. I gained about 3 lb over Christmas, because I ate carbs and chocolates (not many). I find that if I eat when I am not hungry, I don't drop the weight. I try to eat only when I am hungry. I let LCHF and my body tell me when I should eat, and have been moderately successful. The weight IS dropping off, it just takes much longer than it used to. I turned 55 a few weeks ago. I DO have high cholesterol, and I have spoken to the doctor. I am reluctant to go on cholesterol lowering drugs without a sure sign that my arteries are getting clogged.

jmh6251
Thu, Jan-01-15, 11:47
Well I'm way past being in my 50's but thought I would drop by and wish everyone Happy New Year!!! I hope this year brings everything you want

bugujo
Thu, Jan-01-15, 14:17
Happy New Year all. Still a bit off track but slowly getting back on the wagon.

Lessara
Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:52
Happy new years. Off to a good start I hope

Forestland
Fri, Jan-30-15, 06:00
I'm 57 and on Atkins. I am insulin resistant and had some success with a fat fast. It takes me a long time to lose. I've been doing this since last September and have lost a total of 25 pounds. Sometimes I only can lose a half pound in two weeks! It can be so frustrating! I am a former yoyo dieter all my life so I know that plays into it. I have to tell myself that as long as the weight goes down I'm succeeding. I didn't get this way overnight! After menopause it seems like the fat turns to cement!

bugujo
Sat, Jan-31-15, 12:33
Forestland, 25 pounds is great. It beats going in the other direction even if it is slow.

lindalove
Wed, Feb-04-15, 15:27
Hello, thought I'd mosey on over to say hi, but it looks like I'm 2 years, too late.

That's okay, someone will post soon and we'll get it going again. I'm 59 in March and HAVE TO GET RID OF THIS WEIGHT! I kept doing it wrong, thinking I could still have wine. Not wise. It does stall you, afterall.

bugujo
Wed, Feb-04-15, 20:22
Why do you say that you are too late?

Forestland
Thu, Feb-05-15, 05:03
You are just in time Lindalove! I get what you are saying about wine. I know you can't be 100% on all the time. I've had a drink once in a while too. You still have to live your life. My problem when I get with other people is portion control (damn cheese).I will stick with the LC option but I eat too much of it! Live and learn! Just keep going. I don't think anyone loses in a straight line...progress is more of a zig zag. Don't beat yourself up when you make a wrong choice just hit reset and keep going.

lindalove
Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:17
Wow, thanks for that. It wasn't a mistake of me drinking a glass or two every day; it was me being headstrong, when I know I could have been losing weight faster.

As for cheese, have you ever tried making yourself a "cheese basket" to hold your salads? Well, you will use only a tablespoon of cheese per basket. You can fill that basket with greens, onions, celery, olives, peppers, shrimp, etc.

You take a sheet pan or cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and get a biscuit cutter rings or tuna can open at both ends and a tablespoon of Parmesan.

1. Place the mold on the sheet and sprinkle cheese evenly inside and do as many as you need or want;

2. Place pan in a 400 degree oven for 1 minute or until it starts to bubble and the edges are a light golden brown. Don't walk away because they easily burn.

3. Remove pan and wait about 10 seconds to cool, and with a spatula, lift cheese circles and place over a glass to drape over. After 1 minute, your bowls will be set.

---or---

Place cheese circle on a piece of cool aluminum foil and let cool for about 2 minutes and place cheese circles in a plastic bag. Do not refrigerate. They will last for about 2 weeks.

You can enjoy them as snacks.

lindalove
Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:18
You can also wrap them around something long and cylindrical to make cheese stix or just break them up over a salad, instead of croutons.

Forestland
Fri, Feb-06-15, 05:23
That sounds good! I think I'll try it this weekend. I have always loved puttering in the kitchen and I have fresh Parmesan. Another snowstorm is on its way so I'm not going anywhere Sunday. I still need to move more and that's my goal over this winter. I like to walk the rest of the year and if I move I will lose. I'm not the type to go to the gym.

lindalove
Fri, Feb-06-15, 07:33
I hear you about moving. I guess I wasn't that interested in my workouts last year and any excuse not to, would be enough for me to postpone. I haven't worked out since July and I used to work it at least 6x a week. I'll go back one day. I'm not going to rush it. It just happens and I'm back to my old schedule.

I was reading several articles addressing exercise to lose weight and all of them said that exercise is good for your heart, skeletal system, but your diet is what controls your weight loss; not exercise. I was amazed by the articles. Dr. Barry Groves said to exercise only if you want to. Michael Thurmond said your diet is 70% of weight loss, and Dr. Atkins said the same thing. It's good for you, but not as a weight loss tool.

That said, I'm just going to stop trying to force myself to exercise and let it happen naturally. I know when I start noticing a significant reduction in my weight, I'll get excited and will resume my workouts because I'll see muscle tone quicker and my confidence will be through the roof.

Makes you wonder why we seem to lose our way sometime and have to start all over, huh? I hope this is my last yo-yo.

lindalove
Fri, Feb-06-15, 23:20
I'm 59 and came back to low carb January 2, but was doing the EFGT program. That program wasn't for me, so I came back to Atkins '72. I prefer the original plan by Dr. Atkins, not the corporation that's touting the Atkins' name.

It seems my weight loss has been slow, but I think I'll get there eventually. I'll keep checking in here to see if other ladies in their 50's will chime in, even though I say all are welcome.

WereBear
Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:09
I started with Atkins, dropped artificial sweeteners and all grains to go Paleo, kept high quality/high fat dairy which made it Primal, and moved to Epi-Paleo for anti-inflammation benefits, which added lots more seafood and swapped out my small portions of vegetables for mostly fermented varieties.

Aaaaand... I make exceptions even now :) Like dairy is a problem for many, but seemingly not for me; I lost 70 pounds eating cheese on Atkins, and high quality, grass-fed dairy has nutrients that are hard to get yet reasonable in price. I was still struggling with the last 10-15 when a health issue reared up and now I've added another ten pounds... though I sense that might be getting addressed again with the changes I've made the last six months.

My health, and sleep, are improving simultaneously, and I look forward to the day when dropping back down to size ten is my biggest problem :)

I started fifteen years ago (I'm just as amazed as anyone) and while I've slipped up here and there in terms of climbing the Atkins carb ladder and gained some, going back to what works has always taken care of things. So I'm low carb for life! A far better life that I had before.

lindalove
Sat, Feb-07-15, 13:27
That's wonderful news. I love reading posts that show how much dedication is involved in taking care of nutritional needs and staying on the path to reach a certain goal. Very inspiring.

lindalove
Sat, Feb-07-15, 13:30
You really analyzed your plan. I, on the other hand, just go by willy-nilly, as long as I keep my carb count to 20. I'm also watching my calorie intake. Years ago, I treated Atkins like a diet and when I reached my goal, my weight creeped back up to starting and then some.

I know better now and this will be my lifestyle. You can't dispute something that works and when it stops working for you, you tweak until you get it right.

Good for you.

AquaSeas
Mon, Mar-02-15, 19:26
Hi everybody! My name is Jaye. I am 56 and this is my second time low carbing. The first was in 2004 and I easily dropped 20 lbs and kept it off until a total hysterectomy knocked me in to menopause. Before I knew it I had gained almost 30 pounds and had all the energy of a garden slug...

I re-started low carbing the end of January and am slowly dropping the pounds. Sure not as easy this time around!

lindalove
Mon, Mar-02-15, 22:53
Why do you say that you are too late?

Oh, just looking at the posting dates, but I just noticed you're pretty current, as well as the others that are following my post.

lindalove
Mon, Mar-02-15, 22:58
I had to restart several times because I kept doing one step incorrectly. The first was wine. I love good red wine and would sip a glass or so in the evening while prepping for dinner and with my dinner. I was losing the same pound for about 2 weeks. Once I stopped drinking, my weight started to come down.

Yes, I know Dr. Atkins and several other low carb physicians claim you can eat all you want without fear of gaining weight, but that's not the case. You have to have a caloric deficit in order to lose and an over-consumption of protein, if not burned off, will be stored as fat.

The second misstep was I tried to mimic old favorites like pancakes, pastries, and biscuits using low carb mixes like Carbquik, almond and coconut flours which are just as impactful on blood sugar as the regular Bisquick mix. Some people can handle them, I can't.

Lastly, I was weighing myself everyday. Big mistake;too much stress. Weight fluctuates every day and you will never get an accurate reading, so once a week is sufficient.

Forestland
Tue, Mar-03-15, 04:43
I found that wieighing myself every other week is best for me. I just keep doing the under 20 low carb and that works for me. I've been making soup to heat up for lunch. I just hate a cold salad when it's cold outside. I've lost almost 30 pounds very slowly since last September. It is coming off so as long as it's going in the right directionI try not to complain. Sure I'm impatient but I didn't get this size overnight!

lindalove
Tue, Mar-03-15, 11:15
Are you exercising any? It's not for weight loss, but to speed things up a bit. You don't have to do a regimented program, you could dance, do a lot of housework, non-stop, or go swimming. I used to love water aerobics. Your body is heavier under water, so you burn more calories.

I don't mean to correct you too much, but looking at your start weight and current weight, you've only lost 15 lbs. Did I miss something?

What do you think?

Forestland
Wed, Mar-04-15, 11:41
No, I haven't updated since I started. I never liked to exercise which is why I walk most of the year. I am trying some yoga because I'm getting round shouldered from years of being at a computer.

kimevans
Wed, Mar-04-15, 14:04
Being 51 I am really hoping that it won't be much more difficult to lose the weight than it was when I was in my late 30's - early 40's. Am I kidding myself? lol Back in 2004 I lost 40 lbs on Atkins but it took me 9 months to do it. This time I only want to lose 20. I hope it isn't going to take as long! ugh

lindalove
Thu, Mar-05-15, 12:27
Hi everybody! My name is Jaye. I am 56 and this is my second time low carbing. The first was in 2004 and I easily dropped 20 lbs and kept it off until a total hysterectomy knocked me in to menopause. Before I knew it I had gained almost 30 pounds and had all the energy of a garden slug...

I re-started low carbing the end of January and am slowly dropping the pounds. Sure not as easy this time around!

Really, end of January and you've already lost 10 lbs.? That's fantastic!

Reecegirl
Tue, Mar-24-15, 04:16
Hey everyone! 58 years old here and lately feeling every year and then some LOL.

My son has been trying for years to get me on the carb diet but I am not a big meat eater, (love my pasta and bread) so always steered away. Well, I have to learn to at least eat the meats I like. Or poultry and of course I LOVE fish. LOL.

I have come to realize I was just using my "not really a meat eater" as a MAJOr excuse for just not doing the carb diet.

lindalove
Tue, Mar-24-15, 08:04
Hey everyone! 58 years old here and lately feeling every year and then some LOL.

My son has been trying for years to get me on the carb diet but I am not a big meat eater, (love my pasta and bread) so always steered away. Well, I have to learn to at least eat the meats I like. Or poultry and of course I LOVE fish. LOL.

I have come to realize I was just using my "not really a meat eater" as a MAJOr excuse for just not doing the carb diet.
You don't have to eat the meat. We have vegetarian's here that do very well. Check out the boards for a Vegetarian Thread.

I am 59 and love meat, so it's a breeze for me. I also had to eliminate a medication I was taking for my knees because one of the side effects was rapid weight gain. I also discovered that Splenda has maltodextrin and dextrose in it; a fancy name for sugar, which was also contributing to stalls and weight gain.

I've since ordered a sweetener that has zero carbs and zero calories. It won't arrive until Friday evening or so, so the meantime, I've been drinking a lot of sparking water and my morning coffee.

I hope you find your thread. Welcome.

Reecegirl
Wed, Mar-25-15, 04:49
You don't have to eat the meat. We have vegetarian's here that do very well. Check out the boards for a Vegetarian Thread.

Well, I don't totally hate meat but if I had a choice of pasta or meat pasta would win. At Thanksgiving I go for everything but the turkey LOL.

I do use splenda. Not a lot though. Just in my morning coffee. I have the other sweetener. May give it a try although I find it a tad more bitter

WereBear
Wed, Mar-25-15, 05:57
Well, I don't totally hate meat but if I had a choice of pasta or meat pasta would win. At Thanksgiving I go for everything but the turkey LOL.

If it's a digestive issue you can fix that with Betaine HCL. It "retrains" our system to get used to digesting meat again.

lindalove
Wed, Mar-25-15, 11:45
If it's a digestive issue you can fix that with Betaine HCL. It "retrains" our system to get used to digesting meat again.
What is that? Is it a prescribed medication?

This is what I found on WebMD:

There isn't enough information to know if betaine hydrochloride is safe. It might cause heartburn.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of betaine hydrochloride during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Peptic ulcer disease: There is a concern that the hydrochloric acid produced from betaine hydrochloride might irritate stomach ulcers or keep them from healing.

Sounds a bit scary to me.

You're doing the opposite for low carb; it's funny, but not so funny in the weight loss aspect of it. :idea:

WereBear
Wed, Mar-25-15, 11:54
What is that? Is it a prescribed medication?

This is what I found on WebMD:

There isn't enough information to know if betaine hydrochloride is safe. It might cause heartburn.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of betaine hydrochloride during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Peptic ulcer disease: There is a concern that the hydrochloric acid produced from betaine hydrochloride might irritate stomach ulcers or keep them from healing.

Sounds a bit scary to me.

I followed this plan and I was fine.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

I'm a little skeptical of WebMD ever since they told me niacin was more dangerous than statin drugs :confused:

But it's a little known fact that people who avoid meat lose the enzymes and signaling that help them digest it. The Betaine HCL did wonders for me when I was sick and needed a little help. After a few months, you taper off and the body is trained again.

But that might not be your problem!

lindalove
Wed, Mar-25-15, 12:00
Hi, Wearbear, it's not mine; Reesegirl has a problem with meat and she never said it was a medical issue. Sounded more like choice of food to me.

Reecegirl
Thu, Mar-26-15, 03:58
No, LOL, my problem is I am seriously a carb addict. Each day gets easier however.

WereBear
Thu, Mar-26-15, 05:01
No, LOL, my problem is I am seriously a carb addict. Each day gets easier however.

It does! Honestly, it does!

Reecegirl
Fri, Mar-27-15, 05:20
It does! Honestly, it does!

I dunno, yesterday was like OMG, I am starving! :lol: I didn't break although it was tempting

lindalove
Fri, Mar-27-15, 06:03
If you were starving, what did you eat that didn't do it for you? Protein and fat will satiate even the scariest of appetites. Could you provide a list of yesterday's meal? Thanks.

Meme#1
Fri, Mar-27-15, 08:34
Hi Reecegirl :wave: How about bacon? That's not like eating a steak.
Then there is ground beef which might be a little easier on you transitioning back to eating meat.
If you like fish, go with that right away and begin adding back red meats.
Get a good supply of canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, canned salmon, fresh salmon, shrimp etc......
Use mayo for dipping and or mixing with tuna.

lindalove
Fri, Mar-27-15, 10:42
I dunno, yesterday was like OMG, I am starving! :lol: I didn't break although it was tempting
See? That's scary to me. If you're hungry, eat. I see nothing wrong with eating until you are no longer hungry. Dr. Atkins specifies in his 1972 version of the New Diet Revolution to eat and not count calories, everything on his list of permissible foods.

Why should you be hungry? If you're hungry, you're not going to stick with it. There's an excerpt of the induction and I think, Level 2, of his book on this thread as a sticky note.

Check it out.

ojoj
Fri, Mar-27-15, 11:16
Is it hunger tho or simply craving carbs?? when I used to feel like this I just ate as much low carb stuff as I could until I felt sick lol

Jo xxx

Reecegirl
Sat, Mar-28-15, 03:50
Is it hunger tho or simply craving carbs?? when I used to feel like this I just ate as much low carb stuff as I could until I felt sick lol

Jo xxx

I am pretty sure it was carb craving. Because I turned around and told hubby every Cheetos bag out there was calling my name. I really had no idea one could get addicted to Cheetos LOL

I asked hubby to get me some pork skins. Cravings over :Party:

lindalove
Sat, Mar-28-15, 07:20
I am pretty sure it was carb craving. Because I turned around and told hubby every Cheetos bag out there was calling my name. I really had no idea one could get addicted to Cheetos LOL

I asked hubby to get me some pork skins. Cravings over :Party:
The thing about pork rinds is the salt. You have to drink a ton of water before, during, and after you eat those things. I could devour them when I was younger and down diet soda afterward, but after a while, the soda just made me thirstier.

I just don't buy them anymore because of that. Anyway, you can buy your own cheetos/cheese crisps from Atkins Nutritionals or make them yourself.

Can of Pam
1T Parmesan Cheese
Parchment paper

Spread a sheet of parchment paper onto a rimmed baking sheet and spray it with Pam. With a large biscuit cutter, sprinkle the cheese in a single layer and bake for 1-2 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool for a few seconds and gently lift cheese crisps and place on a paper towel. They are ready to eat or you can keep in a airtight container for a week. Do not refrigerate. Can also be used in place of croutons on salads.

If you're feeling creative, remove them from the parchment paper while still warm and drape over an overturned glass, and when cooled, can be filled with salad, vegetables, or a holder for a creamed salmon appetizer.

Sky's the limit. :agree:

summeringb
Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:49
Hi ..I am almost 50 and am wondering what are your best tips for low carbing ?

bugujo
Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:55
Tips? No whites (breads, potatoes, sugar etc.). Cauliflower is ok though LOL. Cut down on fruit. Meat, veggies and good fats (butter, olive oil, coconut oil all ok; no corn, soybean, canola oil). That is about it.

bugujo
Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:57
I have been MIA for a while now and haven't been tracking food or weight on MFP. I decided to get started again. So, I weighed today at 201 which still gives me a total loss of 59.4 lbs. But, I basically have been staying the same for about 6 months now. Time to kick it in gear.

lindalove
Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:59
I have been MIA for a while now and haven't been tracking food or weight on MFP. I decided to get started again. So, I weighed today at 201 which still gives me a total loss of 59.4 lbs. But, I basically have been staying the same for about 6 months now. Time to kick it in gear.
Good for you! Welcome back. :agree:

You forgot one of the most important things to eliminate and that's sugar, and if you are affected by sugar alcohols as I was, then switch to pure sucralose. Zero carbs and zero calories. I ordered mine from Amazon.com, but there are other brands as well.

bugujo
Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:02
lindalove, I did mention sugar as one of the whites. :)

lindalove
Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:02
Hi ..I am almost 50 and am wondering what are your best tips for low carbing ?
Take a trip over to the recipe threads. I'm sure you'll find something good to eat. Also, visit the Atkins induction thread, if Atkins is your plan of choice. Good luck to you. :agree:

lindalove
Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:03
Okay, cool. Nevermind.

Mintaka
Sun, Mar-29-15, 21:52
It has taken me over two years to lose 30 lb. And I probably lost more than that - 35/38? because I could not bear to step on the scales. I have done Atkins fat fast, then LCHF, and I keep my carbs down to 20 g every day. I cheat every once in a blue moon with mudcake or pizza, but feel so unwell that I run no risk of adding carbs back to my diet any time soon. I am within 10 lbs of my goal, but I am happy with what I have been able to achieve. After menopause it is not impossible to lose weight. For me, it just took 2 years rather than 2 months.

lindalove
Mon, Mar-30-15, 12:10
It has taken me over two years to lose 30 lb. And I probably lost more than that - 35/38? because I could not bear to step on the scales. I have done Atkins fat fast, then LCHF, and I keep my carbs down to 20 g every day. I cheat every once in a blue moon with mudcake or pizza, but feel so unwell that I run no risk of adding carbs back to my diet any time soon. I am within 10 lbs of my goal, but I am happy with what I have been able to achieve. After menopause it is not impossible to lose weight. For me, it just took 2 years rather than 2 months.
I hear ya. I've had to restart several times, but not for cheating, but little things I never thought was hindering my progress, like my beloved Splenda. I have used that sweetener for over 25 years, and I never had problems until recently. I would lose the same 1-2 lbs repeatedly. I did some research on artificial sweeteners and discovered Splenda uses dextrose and maltodextrin as fillers to facilitate its pourability. Too bad for me because those are sugars that started affecting me. Then there was wine with my dinner. I drank good red wines, but the alcohol was also slowing down my progress. The last item eliminated, was my prescription NSAIDs for knee pain. I discovered one of the side effects was "rapid weight gain". That did it for me; that was enough.

So, even though I started low carbing again on Jan. 2, '15, and so far (haven't been on the scale in a week), have only lost 8.8 lbs., I am trying NOT to obsess about my weight anymore. I was weighing everyday, worrying why I wasn't losing as another member was or I was jumping for job over losing an ounce, only to regain it. It was a most incredibly frustrating trip. That, too, was enough.

I've decided to weigh myself periodically, and judge how my clothing fit instead of what the scale says. My last and, here's hoping, final restart was just last week when I made my discoveries. Hopefully, all of the eliminations I've done will redeem my weight loss journey; I sure hope so. :agree:

vampiregrl
Mon, Jun-22-15, 22:18
I have been an off again on again dieter on many diets, and many times on Atkins. I never really stuck it out. But I also didn't realize how much carbs/sugar has had a hold on me....I'm 58 and as I've gotten older, I've gained 7 lbs per year for the last 8 years. Didn't seem to be that jolting at first, but now, its too much. I fear that if I don't get my weight down as I approach my 60s there will be hell to pay for it in my health. I already have back pain - sciatica - mostly I think from my extra weight. I also know I'm an addict to sugar. My first 10 days on my renewed Low Carb WOL (now) was miserable. I really struggled with the cravings. Which I don't recall happening to me before on lo carb. However, this time, I had withdrawal...and I was crabby, tired and not satisfied with the food I could eat on this diet. However I stuck it out, and I think I've finally come out of the doldrums. Today, I felt really good...and I had lost 2 lbs over the last 4 days. I'm a slow loser, so I was still glad to see that. I won't be weighing myself everyday, as I'm not wanting to obsess over the weight as much as I'm shocked as to how my body reacted to the no sugar, bread, potatoes, honey, etc...it was like I could have easily lost control and jumped off the diet just to eat a cookie! Freaky to me! Further proof of the horrible hold sugar has on us a culture. I wish everyone the best of luck...this is a journey that I'm hoping will be enlightening and life saving!

Mackita
Wed, Jun-24-15, 17:57
Sugar is the work of the devil!!! Whoever invented bread was a demon from the bowels of hell!! And whoever told me I could have a "little" bit of these things "once in a while" has never had an addiction. For us, a sliver of cake is like a little shot of heroine. If a heroine addict can't have a tiny pop once in a while, what makes me think I can have a cookie? I'm damned pissed about it, but sugar is not my friend and can't visit me anymore! :(

bugujo
Sun, Jun-28-15, 11:00
Darn food addiction anyways.

bugujo
Fri, Jul-10-15, 13:12
I have been MIA since we went on vacation. We returned on Tues and I weighed on Wednesday. I am back on plan thank goodness. Vacation is tough on trying to stay on plan and I am back to my normal routine of exercising, yahoo. Weight is down from Wednesday too.

eskgwin
Sat, Jul-18-15, 15:41
Hi everyone. I am Allyson and I am 51. This is my first time on low carb and tomorrow will be 6 weeks. Last weeks weigh in was 9 lbs down. Being only 4'10" every one of these extra pounds is visible. We are going to Disneyworld in 3 weeks and I am excited yet a bit scared. I have not gone over 20 net carbs per day at all. I want to eat what I want, but hope I don't go overboard. I still have a ways to go, but this is a marathon for me so I can do it. Actually, this is the longest I have stayed on a "diet" in a very long time. I like eating fat because it keeps me full.

Sorry for being so long. I tend to do that. Thanks for listening.

Allyson

bugujo
Sat, Jul-18-15, 16:55
Allyson, congrats on the weight loss. Try to stay on plan as much as you can while on vacation but don't deprive yourself.

LisaDrew
Tue, Sep-29-15, 15:30
Hello over 50's! I am 54 and have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I lose it, put it back on, lose it....some of you may know the struggle. I am determined this time to get it off and keep it off. I am ready to change the way I eat and stick to it! I look forward to getting to know each of you!

TammyD
Tue, Feb-16-16, 08:32
Hi Ladies,
I'm 53 and have been on a diet my whole life and have yo yo'd enough! I restarted general low carb in Nov 2015 and have lost about 15 pounds so I'm pretty excited to keep on losing. I'm losing slower in this new phase of life (menopause) but I'm trying.

MissPatty
Thu, Mar-03-16, 10:51
Hello girls :-)
I'm 55 years old and I'm on induction since 2nd Feb. My diet-carreer started in 1982 when a famous German magazine called "Brigitte" launched their first diet-book (I live in Germany btw). It was based on cutting calories and at that time I did very well with my weight loss. During the years I tried almost everything to loose weight. 6 years ago I had my biggest succes with Atkins and lost 27 kilos! But unfortunately it all came back :-(

And now, in the midst of menopause, I had to realize that loosing weight isn't as fast as it was in the past. The only way for me is the Atkins-Diet.
Here is my reward for today: a 450g-US Chuck-Eye-Steak and a salad with Mayonnaise. (I didn't know how delicious a salad with Mayonnaise could be :-) )

After almost 2 weeks on induction I must say that it goes pretty well and I draw hope from that ;)

GreekRibs
Wed, Mar-16-16, 12:47
Hi Tammy and Patty;

54 years old, I can relate to the yo-yo up and down weight over the years, as well as menopause (mental pause?). I also relate to low carb high fat being the only method to weight loss and control at this age. Part of menopause, at least for me, is less patience. Sometimes I struggle to be patient with the one pound per week if I'm lucky. Keep having to remind myself this is for LIFE, not just weight loss, so who cares if it's one pound or one ounce.

CallmeAnn
Wed, Mar-16-16, 15:48
:wave: Hi, to you all.
I am 55 and am on lc for about the 7th time, probably. I have added intermittent fasting to the plan and it is helping a lot. I think it has a lot to offer women of our age. I started this a little bit before Christmas but wasn't too good right around the 24th/25th but jumped right in after that. Even so, my loss was slooooowww. Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.
I am finally in my first goal jeans today. I have to lose at least fifteen or twenty pounds to come down a size. I was a tight 18 and these jeans are a 16. They were only tight when I was buttoning them. I couldn't fasten them day before yesterday when I tried them and now I am wearing them. :hyper: I'll change my stats today, too. I'm down a whole pound.
I recommend it for anyone who needs better (faster) results.
Looking forward to having a small group within the group.

GreekRibs
Wed, Mar-16-16, 16:52
Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.
Hi Ann - Can you tell me from what time of day (or night) you begin the fast and what time of day (or night) you break it? Do you fast once/week or what does the schedule look like? Thanks! :wave:

WereBear
Wed, Mar-16-16, 16:53
I often have breakfast at 8 AM, lunch 1-2 PM, and skip dinner, if that helps.

GreekRibs
Wed, Mar-16-16, 17:19
I often have breakfast at 8 AM, lunch 1-2 PM, and skip dinner, if that helps.
Wow, impressive WereBear. How often in one week do you do that? I don't know if I could skip supper, but maybe I could on a Friday or Saturday night.

MissPatty
Sun, Mar-20-16, 02:38
Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.
I am finally in my first goal jeans today. I have to lose at least fifteen or twenty pounds to come down a size. I was a tight 18 and these jeans are a 16. They were only tight when I was buttoning them. I couldn't fasten them day before yesterday when I tried them and now I am wearing them. :hyper: I'll change my stats today, too. I'm down a whole pound.
I recommend it for anyone who needs better (faster) results.
Looking forward to having a small group within the group.

Hi Ann, wow that sounds amazing! Congratulations to your success :thup: !

Time ago, I heard about the 5:2 fast diet and I bought 3 books, one by Dr. Michel Mosley and two by Kate Harrison. I tried this fast diet a few times but without being on Atkins or LC and without permanent success.

Could you please me tell something about the 16:8/20:4/19:5? Do you mean 16/20/19 hours fasting and 8/4/5 hours eating according to Atkins? :help:

If this is the clue to weightloss in the 50's, well, I'm more than curious to hear about it! :D Thanks in advance!

MissPatty
Sun, Mar-20-16, 02:55
Hi Tammy and Patty;

54 years old, I can relate to the yo-yo up and down weight over the years, as well as menopause (mental pause?). I also relate to low carb high fat being the only method to weight loss and control at this age. Part of menopause, at least for me, is less patience. Sometimes I struggle to be patient with the one pound per week if I'm lucky. Keep having to remind myself this is for LIFE, not just weight loss, so who cares if it's one pound or one ounce.

I agree with you, it's a dietary change for Life. When I see how well I'm now with Atkins I blame myself for not being left on the ball in the past. My weightloss is slow but I'm grateful for every pound I lose. :agree:

MissPatty
Thu, May-26-16, 04:11
Hi everybody over 50 :-)
I just want to tell you that I'm glad to have lost another few pounds :cool:
I'm on LCHF for 9 weeks now and meanwhile love coconut oil in my morning coffee :D and I love it not to have a ravenous appetite anymore!

Even with that moderate progress I know I had to stick to it to reach my goal. And I will...for sure! :-)

WereBear
Thu, May-26-16, 09:03
Wow, impressive WereBear. How often in one week do you do that? I don't know if I could skip supper, but maybe I could on a Friday or Saturday night.

Since then I have moved to dinner only. Maybe that would help :)

I do a big cup of coffee with heavy cream, then nothing but water/herbal tea until dinner time. This works if we are going out with friends, this works if DH makes dinner and surprises me with it when I come home, this gets me over the "hungry hump" at lunchtime when I just get busy with work or go for a walk and find the hungry feeling passes when I am not paying attention to it.

Mintaka
Wed, Jun-08-16, 17:53
Hello y'all,
I have been on Atkins or LCHF since late 2012, and have finally come within a couple of pounds of my target weight. I am now 56 years old, and I can tell you that Menopause slows things down, but need not stop you.
I made mistakes along the way, including eating too much meat (protein), eating when I was not hungry, not eating enough fat, drinking far too much wine (I quit drinking wine and the pounds started dropping off), eating carbs when I craved them, drinking too much coffee, and eating junk food when the kids come over.
I now eat very little, because I am simply not hungry on the LCHF diet.

Typical Breakfast (eaten between 11:30 am and 3:00 pm) is 1 cup mushrooms sauted in 50 g butter, with spinach, and maybe some avocado.

Lunch: not hungry

Dinner: 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm - 100 g of meat, with 50 g of butter and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Two squares of 90% dark chocolate.

I sometimes have a couple of squares of dark chocolate in the late afternoon, but only if I am hungry.

I had to stop eating because I thought I should, or was bored, or some other excuse.

I still have drinks occasionally with hubby, but I don't ever have wine more than one night in a row.

I am now considering reducing my goal weight, to see where this LCHF bus will stop. But I will keep everyone posted.

Aging and menopause have certainly slowed down my ability to lose weight, and I am fortunate to have been able to lose as much as I have without hunger or much trouble, save for rising to the challenges of hormonal changes. I am through Menopause. It only took 8 years.

:wiggle:

WereBear
Thu, Jun-09-16, 06:18
I am through Menopause. It only took 8 years.

:wiggle:

I am far from recovered, it's been almost 8 years, and it nearly killed me.

Enaid
Thu, Jun-09-16, 06:42
I am a little older than the 50s (61) and I will tell you menopause has not prevented me from getting where I need to go. I have lost 33 pounds since Feb 1 2016. Initially it was all LCHF, which I call Low Carb, Healthy Fat, and was doing alright. Then for some reason I would lose a pound and then meander around it for a month, lose another pound or two and then meander around it for a month. Aaargh. I was told so many things to do....lower fat, raise fat, lower calories, raise calories, lower protein, raise protein. It was overwhelming all the contradicting information. So, as I am known to do, I researched. Last book I read is The Obesity Code by Jason Fund, M.D. And he is s proponent of fasting. So I am now reading The Fast Diet. Yesterday was my first fast day where I ate one meal and lo and behold I finally lost those two pounds and another two pounds. Yay finally at my lowest weight since starting this WOE. On non fast day I follow strict LCHF and do not go hog wild as some do. I think when we get to our later years you have to mix it up to get it done as we all have lost and gained over the years so many times we have really damaged the way our metabolism works and we need to find ways to make it better. I am hoping, and an very optomistic, that 5:2 fasting is the way for me.

GreekRibs
Thu, Jun-09-16, 09:27
I am a little older than the 50s (61) and I will tell you menopause has not prevented me from getting where I need to go. I have lost 33 pounds since Feb 1 2016. Initially it was all LCHF, which I call Low Carb, Healthy Fat, and was doing alright. I am hoping, and an very optimistic, that 5:2 fasting is the way for me.Woot Enaid!! Great weight loss. I agree menopause does not have to prevent us from success. It's tweaking and trying different things until we get the magic equation. I love your LCHF healthy fat terminology. I like that and am going to use it :)
Glad you're excited about the 5:2 fasting.