PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from the Chicago 'burbs!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carling5
Sun, Oct-20-13, 14:31
Hi all!

I have decided to adopt a low carb lifestyle because I'm tired of popping diet pills and yo-yo dieting. Most people would not consider me "fat", but at 5'6" and 170, I KNOW that I am definitely overweight. I have gained 10 lbs. in the last six weeks, so it's time to make some changes before 10 lbs turns into 20 lbs and so on. My goal weight is 142.

I am single and active. I play tennis, golf, and belong to a gym. I like to cook, but still find myself eating fast food 2-3 times per week; however my biggest challenge will be to overcome my sugar addiction, specifically in regards to my morning coffee. Sugar in the raw and a variety of rich flavored creamer in my mandatory cup of Gevalia is my ideal of heaven each morning. I do not believe artificial sweeteners are good for you, but will give it the old college try.

Best of luck to all of you and thanks in advance for your support!

Elle C
Sun, Oct-20-13, 15:17
Welcome, I'm on my first day of induction, so far so good.

I don't care for artificial sweeteners either, I have worked out a combination of Splenda and stevia in my morning coffee that I quite like. It might be worth a try. Of course, you can't beat having real cream in your coffee! Enjoy!

JEY100
Sun, Oct-20-13, 16:28
:wave: Welcome!

If you are serious about kicking the sugar addiction, there is this advice:
http://endsugaraddiction.com/expert-tips/ and...

This website has great info on food addictions, inc. a 130 page free .pdf:
http://authoritynutrition.com/food-addiction/

FaithLeigh
Tue, Oct-22-13, 06:18
Hi and welcome! I can relate to that wonderful morning cup of coffee each morning. I have found that Davinci sugar free syrup works when I need a sweetener. I realize you may not want to use those though due to it being artificial. I have that the longer I do low carb (I do Atkins) the less I want sugar and how naturally sweet so many foods are in their natural state. I currently use 2 tbs. heavy whipping cream in my coffee and have no need to add anything "sweet" to the coffee.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more posts as you are on your journey!

carling5
Thu, Oct-24-13, 10:25
Thanks, y'all! I am also following the Atkins program and I'm surprised at how easy and painless it has been thus far. My only issue is...um...diarrhea. I did some research and found that this is common on Atkins particularly for those previously following a low fat lifestyle.

As for my precious morning java, again, I'm surprised that the transition from sugar & creamer has been quite easy. I've been using Cafe al Fresco syrup, half and half, and stevia in my coffee and I'm a good to go! Cafe al Fresco syrup is sugar-free, carb-free, and you can get it at Dollar Tree for a buck! I'm going to try Bulletproof coffee as soon as my bowels adjust to my new WOL and get back to normal.

This is day-4 and so far, so good. I haven't had any sugar cravings; I've been drinking water like crazy (new for me), and God knows I haven't been hungry! I have decided not to weigh myself for a week as I am trying not to live and die by the scale anymore. I am committed to whatever changes I have to make in order to lose the weight and believe that if I do the right things the results will come. : )

Has anyone tried Bulletproof coffee? Thoughts?