PDA

View Full Version : Baby Boomer Trying Low Carb

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ruti46
Fri, Sep-06-13, 09:26
Greetings to all! I am a senior who has done every kind of diet in the book to lose post menopause weight gain and now I am trying low-carb. I am having more success with this than any of the other diets I've tried. I am really enthusiastic about staying the course on this. I started at 190 (I'm 5'2") and am now down to 185. My goal is 120. Why not dream big? I never had a weight problem in my life until after menopause when everything I ate begin to go to my belly. I wish you all wonderful success with this. Keep strict with yourselves (this is the hardest) and you will see results.http://forum.lowcarber.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=37#

Lulumae
Fri, Sep-06-13, 09:32
Hi there, good to hear someone so positive and enthusiastic.

Yes, it works. It works for me. My weight loss has slowed down as I have got closer to goal but I'm going to keep on till I get there and maybe beyond!

Welcome and keep us posted! :wave:

Liz53
Fri, Sep-06-13, 09:43
Another post-menopausal boomer here - welcome! Yes, it works, no doubt about it. It's never easy, but this WOE gives us a fighting chance. All the best to you.

cnmLisa
Fri, Sep-06-13, 09:56
And another one who can say....IT WORKS! as long as YOU keep working at it.

ruti46
Sat, Sep-07-13, 09:55
Thanks so much ladies for your encouragement! As of tomorrow I will have passed the first week with five pounds lost. I don't expect it will be that much every week but it is easier to find things to eat than any other diet and my husband will eat them too (along with all his bread, of course). Always before I had to fix two separate meals. Do any of you take advantage of any Atkins products or other ready made products? Have a great weekend all!

beckah54
Sat, Sep-07-13, 11:57
Hello ruti46!! Great to meet another baby boomer and congratulations on the weight loss. You are on your way to goal!

I can't speak for everyone but I don't use Atkins products. I try to stick with meat, eggs, cheese, heavy whipping cream, and veggies but I'm not a very adventurous cook. I also like to eat the same foods over and over.

There are a lot of recipes here that sound good if you like to experiment. Wishing you great success and continued weight loss.

Liz53
Sat, Sep-07-13, 12:17
Atkins products are pretty controversial around here. I seldom use them, except when traveling and I'm afraid there will be no viable options (short connections at airports with no chance to grab a salad, etc). I try to buy ones that don't taste very good (and always phase 1), something I'm pretty sure I won't want more of. It's been well over a year since I've had any.

I find that staying as close to possible to an Only Real Foods plan (meat, vegetables, cheese, cream, in that order) the better I do. I did Atkins for 2 full months before buying products and only because I was having day surgery and wanted something liquid to eat (I chose the shakes) for a day or two (along with soup I prepped ahead of time). I found them too sweet and ended up cutting them with almond milk.

If you are dreaming of something sweet and thinking the products might satisfy those urges, I'd discourage you from trying them. The sooner you can retrain your taste buds and brain away from sweets, the more successful you are likely to be. Some of the best advice I got early on was to fight a craving with its opposite. If you are craving sweet, have something sour, salty, or spicy. And make sure it has some protein and/or fat along with any carbs. I choose olives in that situation.

Nancy LC
Sat, Sep-07-13, 14:24
Post-menopausal Boomer here... PMB? :)

Welcome!

Caroxx
Sat, Sep-07-13, 16:30
Yes Nancy, I'm a PMB too! Good catch!

Ruti, my husband was just commenting today about how well I'm doing. He is so supportive, which I love. He finds it a bit odd that this time I'm actually planning my work and working my plan! He's seen me fail so many times ... but this time (for some reason) I just feel really good and am not having any problem workin' it!

I do spend some time each week making food ahead so I've got something easy to eat. For me, it's a no-brainer - plan so I have things in the fridge to heat up or eat out of hand. The other day I made some deviled eggs and boy have I been enjoying them for breakfast!

All the very best to you!

Caroxx

Aradasky
Sat, Sep-07-13, 20:18
Another PMB here and PROUD of it. Good to meet you!

Nancy LC
Sat, Sep-07-13, 20:23
Oh... rethinking that abbreviation. Maybe it should be PMBB!

ruti46
Sun, Sep-08-13, 16:59
What fun to hear from you all! It's great to not be alone in all this. I do love to cook at times and at other times, just get really lazy spells. I'm not really that into sweets either but was looking for something to take on the plane to tide me over until I get to my Mom's house. She is 91 and still going strong! I get to spend a month with her twice a year and I am so grateful for that. My sister lives with her and when I get there we have such wonderful fun that it is almost like being a kid again (except for the aches and pains). We watch old movies, talk until all hours, look at old pictures, etc. My downfall has always been cokes and potato chips. I swore off of those completely! Thanks so much for all your good wishes and advice. Hope we all can get into a couple of sizes smaller soon!

ruti46
Sun, Sep-08-13, 17:05
PS Some of you have lost so----much! That really inspires me and encourages me. Thanks for sharing.

veghead72
Mon, Sep-09-13, 14:06
I am also dealing the Menopause... although it's SURGICAL menopause... I am 41, but had my ovaries removed when I was 23 due to tumors... and that changed my metabolism so much. Lately, like the last 6 months, my hormones have been out of control and hot flashes constant... very frustrating.. and weight is PILING on... I wish I was alone in this, but obviously, I'm not... I'm brand new to low carb as well.

ruti46
Tue, Sep-10-13, 09:05
Hi veghead72! Sorry about your health problems. I have a few also, hypothyroid and bouts of gout (just awful) that runs in my family. This makes it twice as hard to lose weight. Before I began to low carb, I tried almost everything. This is the only thing that is working. I didn't want to do it because of my gout, and sure enough, I had an attack, but I just went on my medicine and went on with it because it is a catch-22. I have bouts whether I am on low-carb or not and science doesn't really have any answers to it. I do know that losing weight is the best thing I can do for any of my problems! You will have good success on this if you are pretty strict with yourself. It's so easy because you can find tons of things to eat that are so good. All the best!

Aradasky
Tue, Sep-10-13, 12:38
Now, Ruti, go start a journal and let us know the url here when you do.

Love that you get to spend quality time with your mother.