PDA

View Full Version : new to carbing business

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

annie54
Fri, May-24-02, 02:32
hello out there. i am new to this carbing business and find it all quite confusing. i havent read the books yet, so am a litte in the dark about a few things. what veg should i avoid? i have been having half a corn on the cob and a tomatoe is that ok? i am in induction phase i think????. also i would appreciate any advice you think i need. i am going to a chinese retaurant for a birthday tonight and have nooo idea what i can/cant eat. any help would be much apreciated.
i live in glasgow, scotland so if there is anyone near me let me know how you are getting on. will speak to you all again soon, annie x

TeriDoodle
Fri, May-24-02, 05:04
You absolutely need to read at least one low-carb book before starting on this way of life.....as this IS a way of LIFE, not a crash diet to lose 10 or 15 lbs and then go back to eating carbs....you'll gain it all back so fast it'll make your head spin!!

Are you prepared to change the way you eat FOR LIFE when you haven't even educated yourself properly? :nono:

I recommend Protein Power by Eades as a good place to start.... they explain the science behind this way of eating quite well.

Good luck to you!

LittleAnne
Fri, May-24-02, 07:44
Hi Annie

Welcome to this forum from another UK ite. How is Scotland today?

You must get a book and read it before you really can get underway as the information is really valuable. I think that Protein Power or Atkins are probably the best first reads, but I prefered Diana Schwazbein's book best.

Steer clear of corn on the cob its full of starch and therefore a no no. You can eat baby corn to your hearts content, the sugar content is small by comparison. Tomatos also have a reasonable amount of sugar, so only eat one at a meal.

You might like to pop into my journal for some meal ideas.

There are an increasing number of people here now from the UK and there is a forum for UK members here to.

Do you really only want to loose 5 pounds? If so, then all I would say is using the carb counter on the right column just make sure that what you are eating has no more than 50 carb units a day. That should enable you to loose weight over the next few weeks. I do not know if you do much exercise, but think this may be the most beneficial change you could make.

However, this weekend either buy or order the book - easy from Amazon. Then read and read and plan and plan.

Every success and keep us updated on your progress.

Cinderella
Fri, May-24-02, 08:01
Hi and welcome to low carbing. :D
I've noticed you have a small amount of weight that want to shed. There are more lowcarb plans out there than just Atkins. Atkins is the strictist plan. I'm thinking you should check into a couple of others...more foods are allowed and you will still loose that weight. With one of the plans.CAD I think it is...you follow the low carb plan BUT for one meal you can have pretty much what you want as long as your plate has the veggies and protein....such as your corn on the cob and chineese foods.

Maybe look around...read some posts...and find the plan you will be most comfortable with. Like I said...atkins is VERY restrictive....no breads, pastsa, potatoes, rice, corn, sugar, very limited fruit is pretty much the basis. We up our carbs by only FIVE a week or so...until we find our bodies limit.

Maybe check into CAD or Protein Power...what ever you decide, you will find lots of support here!

Hugs...Cin :wave:

mbschlgr
Fri, May-24-02, 08:14
Welcome Annie54!

The first thing you need to do is read a couple of the books on Low Carbing.

I am mostly an Atkins fan, but there are so many other plans and if you are only needing to lose a few pounds then reducing your total carb intake would most likely be your best bet, BUT, remember when you increase them, your weight will go up again so if you have decided (after reading up on it) that LoCarb is going to be your WOL you have to make some decisions on how you will then want to maintain your loss.

Recommended links:
Atkins Diet (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/atkins-diet.html)
Protein Power (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/protein-power.html)
Schwarzbein Principal (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/schwarzbein-principle.html)
Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/neanderthin-diet.html)
The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/cabohydrate-addicts.html)

Take a look at these plans and then pick up a couple of the books when you decide which plan is best for you!

Happy reading :read:

annie54
Mon, May-27-02, 11:56
thnks everyone for replying so quick. i have now read a book The New High Protein Diet by Charles CLark. it gave me loads of info, and i think it might not be as strict as atkins. i am doing ok, although i couldnt resist having a thorntons chocolate(dont know if you get that in the US, but its bloody good)today at work. i am finding the sweet cravings the worst so far. have been eating sugar free jelly by the bucket load. PLEASE no-one tell me i cant eat that, or quite frankly i will go in a huff. speak to you all soon, best wishes, annie x

mbschlgr
Tue, May-28-02, 09:43
Hi Annie,

Hope the sweet cravings are getting better already for you. They will, be patient...

I'd like to see a journal, I get help from others and love to give MHO too!! :lol:

annie54
Fri, May-31-02, 02:32
hello again. yes mary you were right the cravings have passed, at least a bit. i still want sweet things but not as urgently. i have lost a couple of pounds, but seem to have 'stalled'.
ah well it's friday and the sun is shining. i have a couple of days off next week due to our wonderful(?) monarch's 50th jubilee. at last something worthwhile she's done for the nation.
hope you all have lovely weekend. best wishes annie x

gratainc
Fri, May-31-02, 09:45
I had the greatest thing last night. A little bowl filled partially with raspberries, then covered with heavy cream and a little splenda. It was very sweet and good, and should be under 10 carbs.

Alex

annie54
Sat, Jun-01-02, 04:35
mary, thanks for reading my journal. but now i'm paranoid i shouldn't be eating so much/or caulifliwer cheese and chicken for lunch. why did you say you couldn't eat that??? please put me out my misery, i thought i had done good!. all the best, annie x