PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a long time low-carb fan

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

puddinpot
Sun, Aug-25-13, 09:41
Hi

I am a 50-something gal with very stubborn belly fat that I've been fighting for years. So frustrating. This summer I thought I'd try going vegetarian/vegan for a change ... and I gained weight (not to mention I had horrible intractable cravings for ice cream the whole time).

So I'm back on low carb (for the past ten days). I eat meat, cheese, Greek yogurt, coffee with cream, non-starch veggies plus a few handfuls of walnuts and pumpkin seeds for snacks. Last night I had a Larabar (pure fruit and nut bar) which rings in at around 25 net carbs, not such a good choice but ...

Today and yesterday I began having a major low carb flu -- foggy head, very low energy, could sleep all day and am having vivid dreams --- all of which makes me want to quit my diet. I hate feeling so dragged out. I am going to boil up some eggs as soon as I get the energy to move, and I will make some deviled eggs with them.

My big concern is that I suspect I have a serious case of insulin resistance, and my body is resisting dipping into my fat stores. It would rather go into hibernation. I have a feeling the only way out of this is to fight back with movement, so hard when I am feeling so crappy. But I intend to stick this out as I can't put more weight on my short frame (5'2"). I have serious issues with heartburn/GERD which I think will go away if I can manage to drop 20 pounds.

Any suggestions on how to nudge my body out of this carb flu situation would be most welcome!

JEY100
Sun, Aug-25-13, 10:10
Welcome,
Start by reading the Newbie Questions forum http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110,
particularly the thread about SALT, many tips for flu there also: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8626210#post8626210

puddinpot
Mon, Aug-26-13, 09:06
Thanks Jey100! Great tip, I am going to put the salt shaker on my table and be sure to use it a lot! Also will take some magnesium. Last night's chicken was quite salty which might explain why I feel better today, still not energetic but not as sleepy.