PDA

View Full Version : Low carb after BC

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sewgirl29
Wed, Aug-21-13, 06:27
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks and thought it was time to introduce myself.
I've always been interested in LC (I read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes and found the infromation fascinating), especially as I am/used to be totally addicted to carbs.
About two months ago I went of birth control pills and suddenly gained around 4 pounds in two weeks, without changing anything in terms of diet. My usual weight was around 158 (at 173 cm) and I was terrified this was going to spiral out of control (especially after reading similar stories on the internet).

At the end of August I decided to start eating low carb, and I have been gradually informing myself on carb content and switching to a low carb way of life. I track all my nutrition on Lifehacker and take my weight daily, and measurements weekly. Since starting I've gone from about 100 g of carbs per day to around 60 g carbs per day.
I also do IF once a week (I love it!)

The downer is that I'm loosing weight very very slowly. I guess as I'm very near my goal weight and I shouldn't expect too much (especially as I'm not doing a very low carb induction), but it's still a little disheartening at times.

However my energy levels are WAY up (I used to need a nap every afternoon) and my measurements appear to have gone down, so wohoo for low carb.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had any experience with weight gain after BC and how they delt with it.

Take care and have a low-carb day!

Elizellen
Fri, Aug-23-13, 04:03
Welcome to the board :wave:

Congratulations on losing 23% of the pounds you hope to lose already!!

You might find dropping your carb level a bit speeds things up for you, but if your current menus are satisfying and making it easy to stay on plan then why not just keep on the way you are doing?

SlushKitty
Fri, Aug-23-13, 07:29
http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/emotion/hello-kitty/sario-smiley-082.gif (http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/smiley-faces.html)Welcome to the board and low carb living. Gotta give you kudos for doing your reading and then following it up with putting it into action you're doing so good. I think that when we're further away from goal the #'s are just 1 way to gauge progress but what it really comes down to is how we look and feel about ourselves, making our goals not about the #'s at all. Stay the course and happy to see you sharing your journey with us.

sewgirl29
Tue, Aug-27-13, 15:07
Thanks for the messages!
I've considered cutting out even more carbs, but I do want to make this a way-of-life and not a super-strict "I must be lean" diet, so I'm happy with the way things are going at the moment.

Unfortunatley I did "fall off the waggon" over the weekend, due to coming down with a stomach bug :( High-fat, high-protein food just did not seem appetizing for a number of days (I'm actually still recovering). Sometimes you've just got to do what your body wants I guess! I'm slowly reducing carbs again/upping the protein/fat level, so lets see how things go this week.

Take care!