PDA

View Full Version : Gluten-free, LC, Milk-free, Nut-free bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CWatt
Sun, Aug-11-13, 11:37
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/sarahlaughed/lowcarbbread_zpse245ba07.jpg
I just made some wonderful gluten-free, nut-free, diary-free, low carb bread - light and moist!

I had a recipe I was working with (found it here: frugalfreebiesanddeals.com (http://www.frugalfreebiesanddeals.com/gluten-free-low-carb-flax-bread/) ), and cut the recipe in half to test - then forgot to cut the number of eggs and baking powder in half - but I think I like it this way!

The original recipe made it into a Foccacia bread, but I wanted something more like regular bread slices - so I made it in a small loaf pan instead. Half the recipe, with all the eggs, filled two 3" x 6" loaf pans. Next time I am going to try one regular size loaf pan.

This time I used brown flaxseed meal, next time I will try the golden. They say there is no difference, but I find the golden much lighter and not as strong a flavour.

I just toasted it and spread it with butter and Wow Butter (peanut butter substitute) - and it was delicious!

OK, the recipe I made:
1 cup flax meal
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/2 TBSP date palm sugar (I can't use artificial sweetener)
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
3 TBSP olive oil (or coconut oil)

Mix well, pour into (one large or two small) loaf pan(s). Bake (at 350º) about 25 minutes. I cut mine into 10 servings per loaf.

According to the Nutritiondata website:
Nutritional Information: 1 out of 20 slices : 5.8 grams fat, 4.9 grams of carbs, 3.2 grams of fiber (1.7 net carbs), 0.7 gram of sugar, 3.0 grams of protein, 79.5 calories

Caroxx
Mon, Aug-12-13, 09:56
Light and moist - sounds great!

Oven temp?

And for the baking-challenged, 1/2 tablespoon is 1-1/2 teaspoons.

Caroxx

Robin120
Mon, Aug-12-13, 14:06
i have made that one a bunch of times. i forgot oil once and it tasted just as moist to me, so i never used the oil again.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

CWatt
Mon, Aug-12-13, 15:54
Light and moist - sounds great!

Oven temp?

And for the baking-challenged, 1/2 tablespoon is 1-1/2 teaspoons.

Caroxx

Oops! I thought I included that - I will go back and add it if I can.

It is 350F

Elizellen
Tue, Aug-13-13, 03:20
That looks like a great recipe, Catherine! :thup:

I put the info into my fitday account without the sugar (I don't usually use this in bread style recipes) and the numbers worked out at per 1 slice (of 20) as being

62 cals, 51g fat, 1.9g total carbs inc 1.5g fiber (0.4g net carbs), 2.3g protein, 76mg sodium

Annie1gi
Tue, Aug-13-13, 04:23
That looks very good.....I may have to try that thank you for sharing!!!!