PDA

View Full Version : No more lattes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DDMariana
Thu, May-23-02, 07:33
Well, I am STILL at the same weight I've been at for almost a month. I've been reading about so many others with the same kind of stall, that I'm just going to ride it out. But it sure it frustrating. Atkins for 5 weeks, 9 pounds gone. Not complaining I guess...just wanted to keep moving! :(

Yesterday I had another latte made with half and half...well Fitday.com straightened me out on that one. No more treats from Starbucks. Without all that half and half I would have been way under on my carbs, could have eaten a little more.

Question: what do I do if I'm just not hungry but haven't come anywhere near my calorie intake? Last night again for dinner, had to practically force a piece of salmon and salad. Just wasn't hungry. (Can't BELIEVE I'm saying this!! :daze: )

I tried to make some lo carb ice cream with just heavy whipping cream, Splenda and some vanilla flavoring and a few walnuts...what a mess! It was a weird consistency that would flake apart and barely even melted! Tasted okay, but looked more like that white divinity candy...at room temp. Does anyone have a better way to do this?? Really needing something yummy now.

I, too, appreciate this board....it keeps me motivated to NOT throw in the towel. Thanks to all who contribute here! It's helping!!

Donna

rgarlough
Thu, May-23-02, 08:53
I have a little trip to Starbucks a couple times per week and the helpful workers there make me a Whipping Cream Latte. I get the smallest one and I get it iced (less room for WC). All told, I consume about 4-5 ounces of whipping cream, 1/2 the cup is ice, and 1-2 shots of expresso and no sweeteners. At first the girl behind the counter laughed as she was making the drink. I told her I was on a special diet and she said "a lot of people actually order these drinks." She just can't believe how we can lose fat while drinking fat. Just my little secret.

Here's my summary from Fitday for an "Iced Tall Whipping Cream Latte"

1 shot express & 5 ounces whipping cream

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 516
Fat: 55 497 94%
Sat: 34 309 59%
Poly: 2 19 4%
Mono: 16 143 27%
Carbs: 5 18 3%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 3 12 2%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

It's a bit high in fat, calories but with only 5 carbs, I consider it a great snack!

Annie G.

PS - for a regular iced breve (5 ounces half and half) your info would be:

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 200
Fat: 17 157 77%
Sat: 11 98 48%
Poly: 1 6 3%
Mono: 5 45 22%
Carbs: 7 28 14%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 4 18 9%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Belle
Thu, May-23-02, 15:55
I know how you feel, I absolutely love the chocolate brownie
frapocino's from startbucks. Funny, before atkins,we would go to the movies and my b/f would get a coffee from starbucks, and consequently because I couldn't stand coffee, I would not have any interest in anything from there. So one day, I tried this wonderful drink, of course after I was off induction. Now I really try to stay away from them, which was not successful today. I got the smallest one. I too stalled after the first month, then I started losing 3 or more pounds per week. I am now up to 17 pounds gone, and am very proud of myself. My b/f is too. I have certain things that I won't even consider touching, ice cream, milk, pasta, bread, because I know if I do, that is too much of a temptation right now. I am going to my mothers for the weekend to drop my son off for the summer, it is going to be a hard weekend food wise, she has no healthy food around her house. She asked me what I mostly ate, and I will probably go to Wal-mart when I hit town and buy some food so I wont' be hungry or tempted to eat something I know not to. Pray for me. One more sin to confess, I love the new vanilla cokes. I try not to give in, usually works. If I do have one, I drink lots of water the next day. It is so hard sometimes to eat right when all this bad is around you and so readily available. But I agree with you, this board is wonderful and I would cheat excessively if I didnt' have all these wonderful stories and support I get from here. I realize by reading everyone's stories, that I am not the only one who feels helpless sometimes and wants to give up, but I never do. I guess it just goes to show that with, may I say, friends on this board, we can do it together. Have a good day, Belle

gracie-poo
Thu, May-23-02, 18:03
Oh those lattes!!!

I have not lost a pound in three weeks, and funny you bring it up, but just yesterday I realized that it was those damn lattes! I have been consuming, literally, one a day for the last month. In a 12 oz, that's 10 carbs EACH! And sometimes 15 carbs, if I got the 16 oz. I don't count carbs mostly, I just let myself eat anything legal. Even not so legal! I "cheated" (I let myself, I don't like to think of it as cheating......because I am only cheating myself LOL) twice this month with cake (birthdays :rolleyes: ) and have been a little too free with the SF chocolate, Wasa crackers, La tortillas, bars, and also healthier higher-carb veggies such as onions and tomatoes. Strangely, even after the cake incidents and the daily lattes, I have not gained an ounce! (But no loss either :()

Luckily, now I think I know my maintanance levels! I still have 10 STUBBORN pounds left though, so no more Starbucks for me.......nooooooooooo! I don't know if i'm gonna make it, guys
:D

hymntonink
Thu, May-23-02, 18:16
I hear ya gracie. I gave up my daily Frappacinos when I started this diet and boy do I miss them. :::Says silent prayer to lost but not forgotten Starbucks:::

gracie-poo
Thu, May-23-02, 20:39
I am waiting with bated breath for maintenance, Hymn. When I can once again indulge in my breve lattes....

I feel you on the frappiccinos. Oh my, back in high school I had a two a day habit for quite a length of time. I might as well of had a coke habit, the money I spent!!!

wannbeslim
Thu, May-23-02, 22:43
Okay, I am emailing my friend at Starbucks new ventures about adding a lo-carb drink to their menu. Who knows? It might be as big as Frappacinos to them and great for us. :D

DarkLotus
Fri, May-24-02, 05:53
Perhaps if they could make a latte with heavy cream instead of milk...and maybe cocoa powder instead of sugary mocha syrup. I used to have 2 quad venti cinnnamon spice mochas evey day. My dad jokes that he heard our local Starbucks is going out of business since I have been lowcarbing :p I'd definately go back to Starbucks if they had something tasty I could have. Espresso with whipped cream isn't good enough IMO, not worth the carbs.

Vickolien
Fri, May-24-02, 07:06
I have made this recipe before, while not low-carbing, but maybe you can alter it, with no sugar, and without the pectin? I didn't use pectin then (couldn't get it) but except for the thickness, it was just like it. And maybe the milk can be substituted with half water half cream?

From topsecretrecipes.com
Here's one that I get requests for all of the time, and that you won't yet find in any book. This is a clone for Starbuck's "Lowfat Creamy Blend of Coffee & Milk" that you can now find in the all-too-puny 9 1/2-ounce bottles in most stores. Those little bottles will set you back at least a buck, but this Top Secret Recipes version costs a mere fraction of that. Plus, the recipe actually makes enough that you can get a pretty major caffeine buzz. Then, when you get down to the "Tidbits" I'll tell you how to clone espresso with a standard drip machine and ground coffee. Cool!

1/2 cup fresh espresso
2 1/2 cups lowfat milk (2 percent)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dry pectin*

Combine all of the ingredients in a pitcher or covered container. Stir or shake until sugar is dissolved. Chill and serve cold. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Makes 24 ounces.

Tidbits

To make the "Mocha" variety:
Add a pinch (1/16 teaspoon) of cocoa powder to the mixture before combining.

To fake espresso with a drip coffee maker and standard grind of coffee:
Use 1/3 cup ground coffee and 1 cup of water.
Brew once then run coffee through machine again, same grounds.
Makes about 1/2 cup fresh espresso to use in the above recipe.
Run a pot of water through machine, without grounds, to clean.
(inspired by Barb Moore)

*This is a natural thickener found in fruits that is used for canning. You can find it in the supermarket near the canning supplies. It is used in this recipe to make the drink thicker and creamier, and can be found in the original recipe. It does not add to the flavor and can be excluded if you don't care so much about duplicating the texture of the real thing.

I hoped I helped you Frappuccino-lovers to enjoy something similar??

Good luck :thup:

Vicky

wannbeslim
Fri, May-24-02, 08:17
Thought you all would be interested in my friend at Starbuck's response:

"High fat, lo-carb?? I don't know but I will forward your idea to the Director in charge of the latte beverage line-up.

40% of the drinks at Starbucks are customized - you should try ordering one and see if they can make it for you in the store. It is amazing the drinks that htey will make up for folks."

:)

Cinderella
Fri, May-24-02, 08:19
I'm MISSING my french vanilla Cappicinos from Tim Hortons...OMG. It was my "treat" every friday for surviving the week!..lol

Anyone have a recipe for me?

hugs..Cin :wave:

vbrowne
Fri, May-24-02, 08:41
Hi Cinderalla - Those French Vanilla Capaccino's from Timmy's are deadly, they are soooooo full of sugar. You might want to try something from Second Cup, I think if they made it for you with cream, bought your own splenda to sweeten it up, that shouldn't be so bad (you can buy a syrup from Atkins, I believe to add - check it out. I know it's hard to give up our "treats", but it's worth it in the long run.

Cinderella
Fri, May-24-02, 08:57
Thanks for replying so fast vbrown!!
First of all...we don't have "Second Cup" around here....shoot.

This syrup your speaking of from Atkins...is it cappicino stuff?

Yeah, your right..it is hard to give up BUT I haven't had one yet!!

hugs...Cin :wave:

DDMariana
Fri, May-24-02, 09:07
Well I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one struggling without my lattes these days!! Hard habit to break, huh?

This morning - the fourth week in a row - I weighed the same 193 lbs that I weighed every other morning. What on earth is going on? This is not just a "stall".

Today I'm graduating from college at long last, and there is a party for me with all my favorite low-carb foods - thanks to my mom (who has waited 20 years for me to be her "graduation kid" again!) We're also having some kind of cake which I"m not really interested in. But just to show you all how GOOD I've been !! :angel: :angel: :angel:

Why then no weight loss all this time? I'm starting to get a little whiney here!! Yes, there are other wonderful benefits, which is why I'm still moving ahead, but I wonder what I"m not doing right! I'm drinking tons of water, keeping my carbs to 25 a day, eating enough calories, etc.

Any suggestions for a good boost? :confused:

Also, does anyone know how I would post a journal on this forum? Thanks!

Donna

vbrowne
Fri, May-24-02, 09:23
Hi Cinderalla - sorry, I just assumed Second Cups were everywhere in Canada - I'm in Toronto, so they are abundant. Don't know if the syrups are specifically for coffee, but I know they're flavoured so it may be okay. My vice is wine on the weekends, I keep trying to adjust my carb intake while allowing for a couple of glasses of wine (I know it just stalls me) so I, like you will just have to abstain. Have a good weekend.

tofi
Fri, May-24-02, 09:26
Even Starbucks or Timothy's or Second Cup will make a coffee with their highest fat cream if you ask. They look at you a bit funny sometimes but they do it.

BarB

MunchyP
Fri, May-24-02, 11:56
<center>:yay: Donna, congrats on your graduation from college!! :yay:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:</center>

DDMariana
Sat, May-25-02, 12:20
THANKS Munchy...

I had a great time yesterday...but confession time is about to begin. Boy did I blow it on dessert. Was good ALL day...but had to give in - everyone encouraged me to have a free day, you know how that goes.

Anyhow, will really need to get straight again. Can you or someone tell me HOW to do this??? Is in induction again...or just get right back on?

Has anyone had to start all over, or does one day usually not make too much of a difference. Remember, I'm the one who's been stalled for 4 weeks - only 9 lbs down altogther.

Will try to hang tough through my lo-carb party today, and will check in tomorrow! :Party:

Donna

debbie2002
Wed, May-29-02, 21:55
I was a major Carmel Macchiato Junkie. After starting to LC, I somehow convinced myself that the sugar free vanilla latte wouldn't hurt me (3 or 4 time a week). Of course all that milk was putting me into a major stall. So here is my solution, it's not perfect, but it works for me. I still go to Starbucks, only now I buy a pound of esspreso roast ground coffee. I make a normal pot of coffee then add Atkins sugar free/carb free Vanilla and or Hazelnut syrup. I then add a bit of non dairy cream (low in carbs!). Try it, you'll like the great taste! Let me know what you think! :wave:

sagit1212
Fri, May-31-02, 13:10
Just starting induction over again, I cannot give up my coffee! I used to have latte's but I have switched and actually like my new drink better. I have the iced grande americano which is just an espresso shot with water and ice. Then I put some half and half and sweetner and I am all set! I actually like it a lot better than a latte now because it's richer! It's only got about 3 carbs max!

jjayceem
Sun, Jun-02-02, 12:18
Hi Cinderella :wave:

Just wanted to let you know about a drink that, while not nearly as good as Timmy's (I was addicted to the English Toffee -Xtra Large myself) will give some satisfaction. I picked it up from a meeting of Weight Watchers.

Combine light hot chocolate with Vanilla tea. Took me awhile to find the tea but I did get it at Superstore and Extra foods (I believe that is the Loblaws chain back east). The brand is Presidents Choice if that helps. Carnation Lite hot chocolate has about 2.05 G Carbs per teaspoon. Might take a while to get the correct combo but if it works it could be worth it!

Just started LC'ing and feel really good about it. Don't miss breads and pasta or potatoes like I thought I would. Not really following Atkins closely, just watching the carbs basically. I do feel that I could do this for years and that's what its all about isn't it? I'm the type of person that if someone tells me I can't do something that I really want to do I'm going to do it just because. This way I'm in control. No diet is telling me exactly what to do and when to do it.

Question though. I bought the Atkins Quick and Easy Cookbook (its great). Many receipies call for Cognac, but the local liquor store wants $50/bottle! Any ideas?? Can I use brandy instead??

Skinny2
Mon, Jun-03-02, 10:12
My reward for getting up every morning is to make myself a cappucino. I use 2% milk - 1/2 cup - and the rest is filled with lovely espresso and sugar-free hazelnut syrup. I can't recall the brand of syrup (Tocarino's or something like that) but it's made with Splenda.

I'm estimating 6 carbs per serving because according to the milk carton label, 1 cup is 12 grams.

Keeps me going and the carbs are worth it to me. I'm sticking to 30 carbs per day and find that if I don't have any of my other addiction - wine - I can have that cappucino and keep within my carb limits no problemo.

janfan
Mon, Jun-03-02, 13:48
Okay everybody hows this? I call it my Low budget Frap. It is a crappy substitute but when you have to have SOMETHING, this might get you through it. I Use:

1 Cup of Decaf coffee
1/2 pakage of no sugar hot cocoa mix
1/2 cup of heavy whipped cream
ICE cubes (of course)
3 packages of spelnda.

I blended all that together and it came out the consistency of a thick Frap and tasted like one that was made without sugar (I guess it was). The carb content (by my calculation) was around 7 grams. Not great for induction but if you must have something! Hope this helps.