PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wannbeslim
Wed, May-22-02, 13:19
Hello,

I just thought I would say "hello". I am hoping to lose just a few (20 or so) lbs in the next say 4 months. My father, a scientist, suggested this diet. He researched it and has guaranteed me that it is safe and effective; not only that, he says the physiologically it makes sense. I actually don't need to change much in my eating habits (i.e. I don't do sweets, soft drinks, snack or junk foods except potato chips and I monitor my starch intake already), so I hope it works. Still, living without carrots, bread and pasta will be tough.
:)

I am a bit "weight depressed" as I put on 10 lbs since Christmas! I got pnuemonia, was put on steriods briefly for asthma, and had to stop my weight lifting. Viola! Here I am 10 lbs heavier. Ack!

Anyway, I decided since I need to drop the 10, why not get down to the weight I feel best at? I am back lifting and started Atkins today.

Many of you are inspirations to me. What progress you have made. If you can do that, I should be able to do this.

Thanks for listening.

LittleAnne
Wed, May-22-02, 14:19
Hi Wannebeslim and welcome to this forum.

The low carb lifestyle is great and I'm sure that you will enjoy it as by the sounds of it you are already half way there. Every success. You may find the first few days a bit of an up and down ride as your body adjusts to burning fat rather than sugar. This being so your weight lifting may suffer this week as well, but that will soon recover.

I've been low carbing for 9 months now and feel really great and although my weight loss is slow there are many other benefits.

wannbeslim
Wed, May-22-02, 16:11
Thanks Ann! Not really half-way there, just starting. Sometimes it seems like those easy pounds to put on are the toughest to get off. :)

Rosebud
Wed, May-22-02, 17:30
Hi Wannbeslim, welcome to the forum!

I know exactly what you are talking about with the asthma steroids. Been there, done that, wearing the size 18 T shirt!
So yes, even though you have comparatively little weight to lose, you are very wise to not let it get away from you.
Are you still on inhaled steroids? They do slow the weight loss a little, but of course we are all different. My fingers are crossed for you to lose easily.

I must just caution you that thinking of this as a "diet" is not a good idea. Many people have found that if they lose the weight and return to their previous style of eating that the excess weight will return. That is why we refer to either a WOE (way of eating) or WOL (way of life).
Once you reach your goal weight, you'll find you'll be able to maintain it with a much higher level of carbs than you are presently eating.

Good luck matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

wannbeslim
Wed, May-22-02, 18:37
Thanks Rosebud!

Actually, I use the term diet losely - meaning the food you eat - not to lose weight. Atkins is very similar to my normal eating patterns - except I probably normally eat around 100 g. of carbs./day - not 20! Since prior to my "explosion" I had maintained my weight in the 125-130 lb range for 15 years (except during and immediately post pregnancy), I think that I will probably do okay in the long run. But I agree - weight loss only works if one makes certain changes - some long term. I am sure I will need some adjustment. That is other thing I like - the maintence program seems to help step into a life time level of carbs.

The steriod thing really threw me for a loop. I am off all inhalers (steroids and otherwise) now. I haven't needed them - thankfully. But boy do they help put that weight on. I am sorry you have suffered this too! It is so frustrating. You do everything right, but your body just doesn't want to react normally. Sigh!